Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
34' Limited Issues

Newbies First Post!

Have been 'lurking' and learning for a while, got a LOT of great info before buying the "Dream". Got a '92 34' Classic Limited for what I think is a decent price. Seems a low use unit with a zillion 'upgrades' from PO. Getting it all cleaned out and ready for the family and it's first use for us.

BTW, TOTAL newbie to AS's. Always had "the dream" - now she, Silver Toy, sits in the driveway and I am like a proud first time dad. Head spinning and all that. Where to start?!?!

Now to a few questions.

Having charging issues!? Pulled the unit from Provo area to ALB, NM, and only got a 'fair' charge according to the monitor. What should I look at first, 2nd, etc. Took batteries out to charge them in the garage. Batteries themselves look AOK,('02 Deep Cycle marine batteries) but seems to me they should be "full" after that trip - NO use by us during the ride. Tow Vehicle Alternator gauge showed 14 amps the whole way. Somethings not right!?

The interior looks really good. PO put that carpet sticky stuff down ( like in houses when the movers come). Wondering where to start as far as shaking the unit down in the driveway for the first trip? Suggestions, things I should be doing, looking for?

Curious, should I go ahead and install a 30amp plug on the house (25 feet from breaker box to garage wall) so that it can be plugged in then here at the house? Is there anything I am overlooking? No issues with neighbors here in the East Mountains, near ALB. LOVING IT!

Also, is there a web site that will show me the locations of holding tanks - black and gray, as well as fresh water? Looking for locations so I can get an idea as to towing balance and such.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Congratulation, Axel! A year ago, we bought our 30' Limited, a '95. In reference to your question about the tanks, did you receive a thick A/S manual--a silver colored notebook type? Our PO gave us that which was full of diagrams, systems, and other vital information. We've used it several times when we'd have been "dead in the water" on our own without a reference. Hope you have one. If not, someone on the forum will probably give you the link to a person who duplicates these for owners of used coaches. Have you driveway camped yet? We all do
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Remove and check batteries...

If really low use and batteries unloved, they may be terminal..(Bad pun but couldn't resist... Sigh)

Ours was slow to charge when we bought and brought home, and I kept thinking one of 2 batteries was bad. It looked terrific, and second battery looked tired. Finally took to auto parts store for cycle check, and both were not able to take and hold a charge.. Replaced both(gulp..) and no problems since. It really pays to keep them charged, though not plugged into 110v constantly, as power unit may overcharge and dry them out...

As for wiring, you don't need 30 amp circuit and box unless you plan to run Air Conditioner in place.. If you only want to charge or test lights, TV, microwave, etc then regular 20 amp circuit may work... Use thick cord (not flimsy little orange things) and DON't turn on A/C, as it will get hurt if you try to start without enough power...

John McG

>> And WELCOME!!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
MaxandGeorgia

Thanks for the reply. Did get a 'notebook' that came from 2 owners ago. Seems to be what the coach came with form the factory. Doesn't have any info on the tanks and locations. Just wondering about trailer loads when she is 'full' of fluids. Want to keep that sweet towing going for as long as possible.

BTW, on the pull home from Provo - had a center tire blowout, curbside. Never saw it, never felt it. Noticed it at a rest area and was flabbergasted. Every other trailer I have pulled tried to "wag the dog" on a flat - much less a blowout. Only the sidewalls left on the rim. NO tearout or damage at all. Lucky!

Any input on the questions about driveway 'shakeout', 30amp from the house, charging question? Things to look for?

Again, all input welcomed!

Ciao

Axel
Old 03-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Thanks JB

Appreciate the info on the 30amp - previous owner of house is electrician and was gonzo abou twiring for contingiencies. Am considering the 30 route as that leave all possibilities open to me.

Still looking for 'shakeout' thoughts. Remember, newbie! Am really starting from scratch here. As mentioned previously, always wanted one and now feeling VERY overmatched.

In addition, want to show the co-pilot, that I am SUPER competent and ready for all contingiencies. Also, want the kids to have a really great first TT experience so that we can all be life long devotees.

All helpful input gratefully accepted!

Ciao

Axel
Old 03-22-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Congrats

Just a thought - since the batteries are so old, I'm sure they probably need replacement. Also, your blowout may be a warning. I'd check how old the tires are and replace them for safety as well. Even though they may look fine, tires that sit for a while tend to break the sidewall cords down, leading to failure.

I'd just camp overnight in your driveway, and test the systems out. Learn how to hook up the electric, water (also drain and fill the freshwater), and worst of all - learn how to dump your tanks (black first, close the valve, followed by grey). Don't use your freshwater hose for cleaning out your dump line!

Just have fun!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Shakedown

Here is what I suggest : Fill the water tank, run all the faucets (not all at once) and check for any leaks, turn on the propane and light all the pilot lights, make sure the water heater and furnace work properly. You can use soapy water on the gas lines to check for leaks. I had a leak at the auto switch up by the tanks, ended up replacing that. Put a thermometer in your fridge and see how cold it gets on gas and on electric. I would be willing to bet that you are going to have to purchase new batteries, at least have the ones you have checked out. Have you had the running gear checked out ? How worn are the brakes and magnets ? This may not be necessary right away seeing as you towed it for some distance with nearly no problems. Since you had one blowout how are the other tires ? Chances are they are all the same age and should be looked at carefully. Some of this stuff is pretty basic, but can make the difference between an ok trip and a great trip. At the beginning of each season I do a once over in the driveway and then take a short trip and use it. Thats when things seem to come up that might need some attention later on. The reason I say a short trip is because if something does go wrong you are not too far away and can deal with it when you get back home. There is always a shakedown trip every year for me. I have made myself a check list of things that I will need to have in the AS for any trip. Things like, a sewer hose that doesn't leak, good quality freshwater hose, holding tank chemicals. The list includes everything from linens to food to cookware to toiletries. I am sure in no time you will be an old hand at being ready to go whenever you want to.

Good Luck ! enjoy your AS ! If I had the space I would have a larger AS !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
85 34' Limited

I am in the process of replacing my batteries. Both of mine were shot - '03 batteries. The converter went bad and my batteries both developed shorts...probably from my converter and the overcharging after remaining on the grid for a year full timing it. You probably need two new batteries, since yours are three years old. Do you know if the PO had it hooked up while not in use?

Good luck, and keep up posted. Do a search on here for the checklist for camping...they are on here and pop up every once and a while.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Batteries, Shakedown, and etc...

Thanks for the replys - one and all!

Re: Batteries. Put a 14hour trickle charge on the first one. Seems to be holding the juice just fine. Working on #2 now. Fingers crossed. As to PO. Immediate previous owner bought unit and then found another one that suited him better. Owned mine for 6 months or so but it sat at an RV place the duration. They went thru the unit, as the gentleman was a bit of a perfectionist, fixing this and checking that. That said, the unit should be good to go - we'll see.

I will be going around and vacuuming out the spaces behind the fridge, furnace, etc.... to be sure that the little creepie crawlies are gone. Then I guess, its just "fire 'em up" time.

3 more questions for the Gurus out there. I can't seem to get the radio to come on.
1) I can faintly see the clock showing but won'ot do anything else. Causes? 2) Also, microwave clock will not come up even though the AC/Micro switch is on micro. Am I missing something?
3) Put down the huge curbside ZipDee Awning yesterday(GREAT shape BTW!) to get it to dry. I could NOT figure out how to raise the L and R arms so the awning is more upright and I don't run into the supports every time I go by. Help!

Thanks again to all of you that sent replys. Sorry that I can't answer them all individually right now. Parents visiting in 2 days and the house is a PIT! Am reading all posts though!

Ciao

Axel
Old 03-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Thanks for the replys - one and all!

Re: Batteries. Put a 14hour trickle charge on the first one. Seems to be holding the juice just fine. Working on #2 now. Fingers crossed. As to PO. Immediate previous owner bought unit and then found another one that suited him better. Owned mine for 6 months or so but it sat at an RV place the duration. They went thru the unit, as the gentleman was a bit of a perfectionist, fixing this and checking that. That said, the unit should be good to go - we'll see.

I will be going around and vacuuming out the spaces behind the fridge, furnace, etc.... to be sure that the little creepie crawlies are gone. Then I guess, its just "fire 'em up" time.

3 more questions for the Gurus out there. I can't seem to get the radio to come on.
1) I can faintly see the clock showing but won'ot do anything else. Causes? 2) Also, microwave clock will not come up even though the AC/Micro switch is on micro. Am I missing something?
3) Put down the huge curbside ZipDee Awning yesterday(GREAT shape BTW!) to get it to dry. I could NOT figure out how to raise the L and R arms so the awning is more upright and I don't run into the supports every time I go by. Help!

Thanks again to all of you that sent replys. Sorry that I can't answer them all individually right now. Parents visiting in 2 days and the house is a PIT! Am reading all posts though!

Ciao

Axel

Howdy Axel. Congrats on your "new to you" Airstream!

Just rolled through your neighborhood this last Friday afternoon on the way home from Vegas with ours. Have to say it was one of the easiest metro areas to navigate while passing through.

Regarding your large awning, if yours is like mine, then after fully unrolling and locking it, there should be a round, spring-loaded knob at the end of each pole. It may be frozen, so a little lube here might be necessary. It should be possible to pull this out and facilitate a further extension of the awning poles another 12-15 inches or so. There will me several holes in this inner section that the pins can lock into. Take care not to pull the pole out completely, though. Doing this on each end should allow the door to open without touching the awning fabric, or at least only graze it a little. Those supports will always stick out some when the awning is up - just watch where you're going at night!

Regarding the radio - we had a Sony head unit in ours - have since switched to a Pioneer, and it had the dim clock display as you mentioned. There was no obvious "on" button, but IIRC there was a "SRC" button that would turn the unit on - this is also the case on my newer radio.

Check your AC breaker panel in the back overhead to see if anything has been tripped - this could explain why you've no microwave. Might also have a dead microwave - does the microwave work, even if the display does not?

Hope this helps - welcome to the forum!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Things I'd forgotten that your posts are reminding me of: we replaced 2 items, one before taking our first trip and one AFTER our first trip. The first was to replace the four tires. This was a fairly big chunk, but we felt safer. Priceless. After our trip, we replaced the sewer hose. To our dismay when we dumped the first time, the hose was a seive, looked like a soaker hose for the yard with fountain streams spraying in every direction, but not pretty, not fun, very smelly. We hoped the people in the neighboring campsite didn't see or get a whiff. About the awning, if it's Zip Dee, go to their web site, find the directions for putting up, taking down, repairs of all kinds, replacement parts: copy all and put it in the notebook for the A/S. We did, and we've referred to it several times. I think it's just zipdee.com. Whatever we all try to tell you, we'll miss just what you really end up needing to know. For example, do you have a double set of keys? THAT's a good thing to know. Your adventures are just ahead, around the bend in the road. Have fun!
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Oh yeah - almost forgot (maxandgeorgia's sewer story reminded me) - you should think about getting a Flush King. These things ROCK. I was amazed at how much more uh, material, came out using this thing. I have the built in sprayer wand, but it doesn't begin to do what that thing can do. Only rub is you'll need a coupler adapter to attach it (it's Valterra and the sewer outlet is Thetford.) No big thing, though.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Awning Questions: Zip Dee Website...

Here is link to get immediately to instructions section of Zip Dee's web site.. I am big fan of their support, documentation and quality, and get no compensation for promoting them...

http://www.zipdeeinc.com/CurvedAwnOp.html

I think breaker issue or switch is primary cause of Microwave issue, though testing by unplugging from coach and plugging into extension cord from house would resolve.. Some brands do come up in "Blank" mode, and setting the clock using the clock buttons is part of the power up sequence each time.

One or two other things I'd consider as driveway "Test Run" (and I loved suggestion on sewer hose to avoid "Sprinkler Hose SYndrome..") would be to actually drain and flush the freshwater tank (both to learn how, find the tough little valve and to assure no funky stuff in tank..), and test ALL the gas and electric appliances but for the A/C.. Finding a water heater that cuts out or leaks, or a stove burner that won't light, or propane leak detector that is stuck are all bad ways to begin a camping road trip.. Depending on your climate, you might also douse it with a hose while someone sits inside, to see if you have to read the "Help, it leaks" threads... (Also better in driveway with tools than in dark and soggy campground with towels on walls and bed..)

Can you see a pattern of experience here??

One last item is to make your own "Checklist" for setup and departure... Ours is 3x5 card sized, has interior items on one side, exteriors on the other side, and is worded so it can work for setup or packup... Done in colored type on computer, and laminated in plastic, stuffed by stove in rack near door, with two extras in drawer for when we lose one... Haven't yet driven off with antenna up, or chains missing from hitch, or stove vent open...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We read you, John, but now that you've bragged, watch out! Quote: "Haven't yet driven off with. . ." Just kidding. I'm going to make a set of those 3 X 5 cards for us. Small, handy, and seems to work. Just another reason this forum is so great. . .we get better and better ideas from one another. Thanks!
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-25-2005, 12:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Issues, ever more issues....!

Hello on and all!

Thanks for all the great replys so far. The insight, since it comes from already prequilified 'experts', is really a no brainer to follows as they did it and it works! What more could one want?

Thanks for the tips and links for the ZipDee question - issue resolved.
Also, batteries have come around and seem to be delivering juice AOK. Love that trickle charger that is as old as I am. Works like a dream! It, not me.

Working in interior electric. Bought a dog bone so that I could plug SilverToy in here on the driveway for a complete shakedown. Made all the connections to an unused Dryer plug with appropriate adaptors.

Plugged it all in. Went inside SilverToy and saw new life - the micro sang and beeped and all was well with the world, wait - sniff?

Ran like the wind to disconnect the 120 and raced back to find acrid smoke from the InteliPower 9100 comming up from under the coutch. Aired everything and NO FLAMES - Thank God!

Now, what did I do? Where did I go wrong? Is the 'New" IP9100 toast?

THis whole 120/12 volt interface is wiggin me bad. Can't make heads or tails out of it.

Help! What do I do know? Will go back and get a proper RV wall plug and then get that wired by an electrician so there can be NO screwups. But then, what to do with the currently unlugged IP? Should I try it again? Or just pull it and get it looked at by bench jockeys?

SO much to do and so little time......

Thanks for any and all assist ance that anyone can offer.

Ciao

Axel
Old 04-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Hi Everyone!

Just a quick update. Bench tested the IP9100 and all seems to be well with the world. Radio is back on again also, not working mind you. But it is on. Will try new head unit as this Sony is AM/FM/Cass - want to get the benefit of the 700+ CD's in the house without the cass/CD adaptor thingy.

Electrical connections made ( HUGE kudos to JohnHD for the help!!!!). She is plugged in an electically functional. Although the Micro/Convection oven is still not working - Fuse? Any other thoughts? 120v at the outlet so probably a fix/ replace item. At least I didn't kill the IP9100 too!

AC finctional, Fridge/Freezer OK. Under sink 1/3 gal. Instant H2O heater looks ( per visual examination) to be leaking at inlet on bottom. Is this a "Must have" item, or is it something that I can put off until later?? Anyone know what a replacement costs? Emerson EH-1.

Got the awning figured out - Thanks for the link.

Next item is the water. Posted note with questions about that elsewhere in the forum, all help gladly accepted!

REALLY appeciate all the helpful thoughts and ideas, also appreciate the humorous ones. If you 'aint havin' fun, what's the point, right!?

Ciao

Axel
Old 09-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
BARNEGAT , New Jersey
Ground clearance issues 1991 limited 35

Looking into purchasing a 91 Limited 35 however Im concerned with the lack of Clearance 7" Ground to Spare Tire Mounted under Front,11" Ground to Rear Skid Plate Measured while Level .
My concern is in the slightest rise in a Driveway and Road Debri any thoughts on this appreciated.

Mike 609-698-4927
MERCINERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Mercineri

I used to tow a '69 International, 31' tandem. I now tow the '92 Limited, 34' triple axle. Towing is not much different in most ways. It took me a while to get used to the third axle - no real difference, but at first it felt like it was 20' longer than the old one (the power of the mind is interesting!). Clearance seems to be no difference. I carry no spare but I still have the spare tire rack and I've never scraped it. The rear overhang was an issue with my RV pad at the house. Long story made short - I modified the sharp incline of my driveway and since then I'm OK. Normal towing is no issue at all (other than exercising reasonable caution in risky places. Bottom line: I wouldn't worry much about it.

Gene
Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As for your original battery question and the charge they got on your ride home. The alternator will charge until the regulator sees a fully charged battery. Most likely your TV batteries were close to fully charged whe you started home and thus the alternator shut down within the first 10 miles or so. Even with low TV batteries the majority of the charging current would go to the TV batteries because of the larger and shorter cable, less resistance.

After you charge the batteries in the garage put them in the trailer and and try a few things without the trailer being plugged in.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Mooresville , Indiana
I just took a lot of notes here everyone thank you!!! We just towed home our 1991 34' and gave her a bath today. Next was a bath on the inside but we hadn't really even thought about checking everything out before a trip!!!!! Not going ANYWHERE now until she checks out ok!

Karry
Karry is offline   Reply With Quote