Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Limited > 1984-1988 Limited
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cable/sat hookup/leveling jacks

• On my 88 Limited I have a street side port for telephone and what I assume to be cable tv connection. Wire skematics for the cable is not indicated on my owners manual and all I can get when I hookup the coax to the inside connections is my exterior antenna. When I hook my sat coax to outside. I don't get a sat signal. Is there a A+B switch somewhere or does anyone have first hand experience on this.
  • I have a 1987 manual that does not cover the electric jacks on the 4 corners. Where would I get info on the system ie: wiring schematic etc.?
Thanks, My last AS was a 73 and there are lots of improvements options that I am currently exploring.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Pockets
  • On my 88 Limited I have a street side port for telephone and what I assume to be cable tv connection. Wire skematics for the cable is not indicated on my owners manual and all I can get when I hookup the coax to the inside connections is my exterior antenna. When I hook my sat coax to outside. I don't get a sat signal. Is there a A+B switch somewhere or does anyone have first hand experience on this.
  • I have a 1987 manual that does not cover the electric jacks on the 4 corners. Where would I get info on the system ie: wiring schematic etc.?
Thanks, My last AS was a 73 and there are lots of improvements options that I am currently exploring.

I recently tried hooking my own satellite receiver up as yours was, with no luck either. Of course I expected I wouldn't since the signal cable is split front to rear after it enters the unit. Satellite signals don't like to be split between dish and receiver, and no A/B switch currently exists in my Limited, either.

Short of opening up the wall where the splitters are and mounting a switch back there, I'm going to have to find a way to run cable outside to the dish that doesn't involve adding an unsightly non-A/S cable outlet to the outside, or poking a hole in a window screen. I'm leaning towards going the switch route at the moment.

In my particular case, the splitter is in the hollow wall between my bedroom and bath, in the cavity behind the bedroom sliding door.

Secretarial Services is your absolute best bet for obtaining a service (not owner's) manual for your coach. Mine from them came complete with all wiring diagrams. What sorts of issues are you having with your electric jacks?

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
I recently tried hooking my own satellite receiver up as yours was, with no luck either. Of course I expected I wouldn't since the signal cable is split front to rear after it enters the unit. Satellite signals don't like to be split between dish and receiver, and no A/B switch currently exists in my Limited, either.

Short of opening up the wall where the splitters are and mounting a switch back there, I'm going to have to find a way to run cable outside to the dish that doesn't involve adding an unsightly non-A/S cable outlet to the outside, or poking a hole in a window screen. I'm leaning towards going the switch route at the moment.

In my particular case, the splitter is in the hollow wall between my bedroom and bath, in the cavity behind the bedroom sliding door.

Secretarial Services is your absolute best bet for obtaining a service (not owner's) manual for your coach. Mine from them came complete with all wiring diagrams. What sorts of issues are you having with your electric jacks?
  • After talking to a mobile RV repair man that I had tuning up my hot water heater ( My unit has been used a grand total of less than 50 short trips and not at all in the last 7-8 years) he said that I have a antenna system with a amplier and that behind the receptacle the coax from the antenna is attached along with the coax from the streetside cable connection as well as a coax to the bedroom and that I would have to do pretty much what you are talking about regarding running another R-6 coax for the sat. system. MY previous RV Kountry aire 5r(Ivan casulty) had r-59 coax inside and I used a splitter to take cable, sat, antenna and Play Station II and send it independently to the living room TV or Bed room TV so my grand daughter could watch a VCR/DVD in the bed room while I watched Direct TV or played games up front. I never had a problem with the R-59 so I plan to ultimately do the same in this one , once I figure out how to get a new cable connection through with out it being unsightly. Probably behind the frig. exterior access door or something. If you come up with a good idea please forward.
Bill
  • I have all kind of circuit skematics in my manual but not the antenna wiring or the leveling system. for example, I believe the 88's were the first horizontal LP tanks, my manual dosn't show them. With respect to questions on the level sys. There are lights over each of the switches. The right front stays lit so I was wondering if there was some type of level switch built into the control unit that was telling me which cornerneeded to come or go down. Probably not but I was curious.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
In our '92 we have the powered cable output (with 12 volt connector) on the inside of the outside wall by the TV platform (just forward of the refrig). It also goes through a splitter so I was unsuccessful also with satellite. I put in a new coax connector on the wall between the TV platform and refrig. This way I could run the coax down behind the refrig. I simply open up my refrig vent door and connect to the coax there for the satellite.

Hope this helps.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
  • With respect to questions on the level sys. There are lights over each of the switches. The right front stays lit so I was wondering if there was some type of level switch built into the control unit that was telling me which cornerneeded to come or go down. Probably not but I was curious.
I'm guessing that you have the A&E electronic stabilizers, right? I have them, but it sounds like your control unit may be different than mine. Mine is in the forward outer compartment over the LP tanks. The only light on it is in the main on/off switch which also activates two exterior courtesy lamps in the front. When you say "the right front one stays lit" you are saying that all four jack positions have such lights, which go on and off depending upon the position of each jack? Where is your control panel - inside the coach or is it like mine? I had my rear jacks out from under while I rebuilt them, and was able to electronically test each wire forward to the control module. Power for the module terminated at the 12-volt service panel behind the left side of the sofa, under the left curved window.

If you have a remote stabilizer control somewhere else in the coach I'm not sure what to tell you about those, since I've no experience with them. If it's an A&E panel, I'd suggest giving Marv Troyer at Ultra Fab a call on those diagrams - they took over the A&E product when they went out of business, and I've gotten the parts that I've needed for mine through him.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
In our '92 we have the powered cable output (with 12 volt connector) on the inside of the outside wall by the TV platform (just forward of the refrig). It also goes through a splitter so I was unsuccessful also with satellite. I put in a new coax connector on the wall between the TV platform and refrig. This way I could run the coax down behind the refrig. I simply open up my refrig vent door and connect to the coax there for the satellite.

Hope this helps.

Sure beats opening up the wall again in mine. I may do this, myself.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
I'm guessing that you have the A&E electronic stabilizers, right? I have them, but it sounds like your control unit may be different than mine. Mine is in the forward outer compartment over the LP tanks. The only light on it is in the main on/off switch which also activates two exterior courtesy lamps in the front. When you say "the right front one stays lit" you are saying that all four jack positions have such lights, which go on and off depending upon the position of each jack? Where is your control panel - inside the coach or is it like mine? I had my rear jacks out from under while I rebuilt them, and was able to electronically test each wire forward to the control module. Power for the module terminated at the 12-volt service panel behind the left side of the sofa, under the left curved window.

If you have a remote stabilizer control somewhere else in the coach I'm not sure what to tell you about those, since I've no experience with them. If it's an A&E panel, I'd suggest giving Marv Troyer at Ultra Fab a call on those diagrams - they took over the A&E product when they went out of business, and I've gotten the parts that I've needed for mine through him.

Hope this is of some help to you.
  • It is located same as yours with courtesy lights and there is a light on the "main" switch. There are also 4 green lights over each of the individual switches. I will give Marv a call thanks.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I took off the tv recetacle cover in the bedroom, disconnected the coaxs and used a connector to join the coax from the cable connector out side to the one that goes to the front. I took the front receptacle off and identified which coax was coming from the bedroom and which was from the antenna. I connected the one from the bedroom to my sat receiver and I now have sat. TV. the nest phase will be to get a new coax from the front to the back so I can route what ever I want to the bedroom tv via a two zone video source control. that way I can watch Sat. or play with Playstation up front and grandkids or wife can watch movie, sat or regular antenna in back.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I went ahead and did what caadoptees did and made a coax connection inside the fridge compartment. We don't currently watch TV in the bedroom, so this works well. If we decide to though, I'll use the wireless A/V transmitter that I use to push satellite A/V from my house living room to my bedroom. It works very well.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:11 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

update on A&E leveler

In exploring different storage compartments I found the service and operation booklet for the leveling sys (PLCS II). The individual green lights indicate which corner needs to go up.........when all lights are off unit is theoretically level. I tried but it wasn't level so I will reset level sensor this weekend.

P.S. I like your truck, I have a 99 3500 "black" as well but sure would like the D/A!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
P.S. I like your truck, I have a 99 3500 "black" as well but sure would like the D/A!

Thanks! Had it since June of last year. It's great fun to drive, and does a terrific job towing. First diesel I've owned, and sure won't be the last!

Sounds like you've got the stabilizer problem sorted out!