Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Folly Beach , South Carolina
'88 34' Limited

Hello all! I am new (this is my first post) and wanted to ask a few questions about my first AS. I picked her up and drug her coast to coast in February and have made a few weekend trips. Anyway enough to figure out what works and what doesn't. Most everything is in the "what works" category, thankfully! Just wanna make sure I'm in the right spot or if this is a lesser used comm category. Look forward to hearing from ya'll!
Daddyo_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Right spot
Old 11-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Thanks Luma! So Initially my questions are regarding the fantastic fan and whether anyone thinks a replacement is a wise investment versus the traditional vent. Currently it leaks, so I need to put something new up there with a good seal. I was planning to use NP-1 unless anyone recommends a different brand of goop. Next is the non functional antenna. The wire is cut and it won't turn or go up/down. What are folks using these days? Should I look to repair/replace or remove altogether and use one of those new fangled square deals you put in the window. Is the old school wall mount amplifier worth tying into?

So, my roof only leaks when theres a heavy rain and if it's really heavy (as in Hurricane Matthew) the water traveled along the seam all the way to the back. There may be additional leaks, but i won't know for sure until I fix these first 2 suspects.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have the original fans in my 93-34 footer. They are OK but a little hard to operate. In my 71 I have both 2 Maxx Fans and one Fantastic Fan. They are similar in operation and quality. The Maxx fan has a cover that allows you to leave it open in rain and also while towing. The Fantastic Fan has a smaller rooftop footprint which is the reason I installed it. If I had to replace an oem fan I would use either.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Dad, me thinks you have a lot of research ahead of you. But that gets offset with miles of smiles. Many folks go with a Maxi-fan replacement on other coaches, but I do not know if their is anything unique about the 34. We like the Fantastic Fan on our 23, but that is just us and should not influence your decision.

We installed a set of fan hoods that allow the fans to run when it rains. That gives us more ventilation options. That little dark colored bumps on top of Glimmer are the hoods. Suggest you consider that addition when your budget allows. The Maxi-fan products have similar hoods available.

Sealant - there is a thread that details sealant types and use. They are not all created equal and I yield to those with specific knowledge. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ml#post1562700

Good luck with your new Shiny. Travel safe. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1339.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	274816  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Many folks go with a Maxi-fan

We installed a set of fan hoods that allow the fans to run when it rains.

The Maxi-fan products have similar hoods available.
The product I have is Maxx Fan. The hoods are built in, not add on, and they crank down when not in use.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I have the original fans in my 93-34 footer. They are OK but a little hard to operate. In my 71 I have both 2 Maxx Fans and one Fantastic Fan. They are similar in operation and quality. The Maxx fan has a cover that allows you to leave it open in rain and also while towing. The Fantastic Fan has a smaller rooftop footprint which is the reason I installed it. If I had to replace an oem fan I would use either.
Thanks, I will def check out the Maxx Fans. I've researched the Fantastic Fan a little, mostly because that was what is existing. I like the idea of something that blows both ways. My rear bedroom fan has the hood and is nice for exhaust purposes. Its the kind you turn the knob and when it gets maxed out the fan comes on.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo_1 View Post
Thanks, I will def check out the Maxx Fans. I've researched the Fantastic Fan a little, mostly because that was what is existing. I like the idea of something that blows both ways. My rear bedroom fan has the hood and is nice for exhaust purposes. Its the kind you turn the knob and when it gets maxed out the fan comes on.
Maxx Fan does in and out. Like Fantastic Fans you have a bunch of optional bells and whistles.

Fantastic Fan does have an excellent customer support reputation. I have not had to use customer support for Maxx Fan or Fantastic Fan as they are both reliable products.

Just checked out the MaxxAir website. The model I am referring to is 00-06401K
Old 11-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Maxx Fan does in and out. Like Fantastic Fans you have a bunch of optional bells and whistles.

Fantastic Fan does have an excellent customer support reputation. I have not had to use customer support for Maxx Fan or Fantastic Fan as they are both reliable products.

Just checked out the MaxxAir website. The model I am referring to is 00-06401K
I see that model online for just under $200, is that a fair price?
Old 11-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo_1 View Post
I see that model online for just under $200, is that a fair price?
Yes, but do some shopping around. The extras I like are multiple speed, thermostat controlled. What I was not interested in was rain sensors (the Maxx Air shroud makes this unnecessary) and remote control.