Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just checked:

30' Classic UBW 7095#
30' S/0 Classic UBW 7940#

(From 2007 owners manual)
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Our 2005 Classic 30 tongue was typically 700-800 lbs. 2008 Classic 30 S/O is typically 1,300.
IIRC, "Sherlining" it just after winterizing (no batts, fluids, cargo, LP tanks), and it was around 900.

IMO, the slide is better balanced with the higher tongue/weight ratio.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have towed my 34' so about 50 k miles over 3 years. Before that I towed a 34' narrow body. The only difference I have noticed is that the 34' so tows better is more stable on the road less wiggle when being passed and behaves better by far than my 94 34. tire wear has been even. I did go back to the factory and have the axels realigned, they were slightly out of alignment. In a driving rain hitting on the street side with slide out some water will get past the gasket on top of the side other than that I have no issues.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
While we are on the subject of slideouts, I have a 2004 30' and would like to replace the carpet and kitchen area with pergo flooring. Have not decided what I could do about the carpet on the s/o floor. Has anyone attempted or heard of someone doing this??
Appreciate any help I can get on this.
Richg
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Richg I am thinking of doing something similar. My thought was to place a piece of clear vinyl on the floor before retracting the slide and remove it when the slide is out. I would also like to hear other suggestions
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #26
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I was able to remove the carpet with a large steel measuring square by just jamming it in under there and hitting the staples and then removing whats left once you can see under there. I went with the allure traffic master flooring due to the extra weight of the pergo. I like the pergo better but the slideout model is so heavy that I have to watch how much weight I add to her or Im over my axles rating.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Kerrville , Texas
After you have the floor installed is there any issue with the slide clearing the new flooring? Airslide, were you referring to removing the carpet off of the slide floor with the steel square? Where did you find the flooring you used??
Richg
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #28
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi.. mine is an early slideout so I have rollers mounted on the floor contacting the bottom of the slide. I only had carpet up to those rollers so it was fairly easy to remove.. yes I used the flat heavy blade of the square to knock it loose. I went with allure traffic master. Its very easy to install.. not as heavy as pergo and water will not affect it.. my advice.. install when its really hot so its already expanded and wont buckle when it gets hot..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by richg View Post
While we are on the subject of slideouts, I have a 2004 30' and would like to replace the carpet and kitchen area with pergo flooring. Have not decided what I could do about the carpet on the s/o floor. Has anyone attempted or heard of someone doing this??
Appreciate any help I can get on this.
Richg
Yes, we did it! and are glad we did. We could never keep the carpet clean. We took our trailer to P&S Trailer Service in Helena, OH. They have done this type of work before. We put a wood laminate in it. They were able to get under the slide. It looks very good. They do excellent work.

We have a 30' Classic SO. We use a 2005 3/4 ton Suburban as our TV. We have put around 20k miles on the trailer.

We very much enjoy the trailer with the SO. It's nice pulling into a rest area and being able to use the whole trailer with the slide in. The pantry is a nice feature.

We would rather have a slide than not have one.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Lady's Island , South Carolina
Airstream Virgins looking at a 2005 30' Classic SO

Hello,
We are FNG's to the travel trailer genre (and Airstreams in general).
We are semi geezer's a couple of years away from touring the US with (hopefully) an Airstream.
Right or wrong, we are looking for a a 28-30' Airstream, figuring it would be a nice size offering comfort,and tow-a-bility (2016 Ram 2500 HD diesel 4x4), and campground access. 30' seems more appropriate as we have a large dog (Akita) and a tyrannosaurus parrot.
We have a shot at a 30 ' 2005 Classic SO for about $45K (offered by a certified dealer in mid TX).
Every post on this thread seems to be very positive regarding slide out variants and we are close to pulling the trigger.
A little apprehensive as it is sight unseen (with a refundable deposit pending personal inspection).
Looking for any thoughts and/or advice.
Thanks.
booma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #31
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
booma,

Well, opinions will be a plenty. but us Sliders enjoy our rigs. I've owned one for 6 years IIRC and travel SC, NC and Va a bit. No long trips yet still working.

The slide does add extra room, it does weigh more but your truck will be just fine I tow with an '05 Ram Cummins. It does have additional places to leak but with a little knowledge and occasional inspection of the seals, not a big deal.

They are rare, some put the number under 90 units total ever built.

If you've never seen one I'll offer you at look at mine but you'll have to drive about 180 miles one way to see one, yup it's in SC.

This is a link to the Slide Out Society http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ry-159166.html its not formal, just for grins.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #32

Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
This is an older thread but the comments in this thread are valid even today. It's been 12 years since my slide has been built. I bought it new in November of 2004 and I continue to admire it's engineering and quality. They key with the slide is to only extend and retract the slide while the stabilizer jacks are down. If you do that (and hopefully the previous owner did that), the slide unit will continue to function perfectly. Lube the gaskets annually with silicon spray and you should be good.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
We traded from a 2001 Safari 25 to a 2002 Classic 30 Slideout. We were specifically looking for a slideout, and we love it! We tow it with a 2013 Ram 2500 Diesel. Since we bought it almost a year ago we have only found one campground (Hanna Park in Jacksonville, FL) that we couldn't get the 30 into, even though the sites were supposed to be big enough, one for 35' and the other for 45'.

The slide was mis-adjusted on ours when we bought it. Check the slide-out for a uniform gap between it and the body all the way around and have it adjusted if the slide is close to touching the body anywhere. Ours apparently banged against the body and damaged the skin of the slide at the top left corner. Unfortunately I didn't notice it when I picked up the trailer so I don't know whether the damage was already there or I did it towing it home.

There is a thread on here about how to adjust it and I did it with no problem. Someone may have used the slide without the jacks. I was impressed with the design of the slide and how sturdy the construction of the whole slide and mechanism was. Check out the thread on here called "Sliders Unite" under the Classic Trailer forum heading. The thread on adjustment is there also; I think is is titled "Ready for a Slide Adjustment". It sounds harder than it is. We have now towed it nearly 7500 miles and the adjustment is right where I left it.

If in good condition, go for it! Are you going to pick it up if you buy it? We'll be at the Canopener Rally next week in Santa Rosa Beach, FL, possibly on your way if you will be traveling I-10. Dave, "Seemore" will be there with his 28 slideout. He is a fount of information about slide-outs and helped me a lot in getting mine set up right.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote