Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Allyn , Washington
Slide out issues

Problems with slide outs on Airstream?

I understand they have discontinued making them. I'm wondering if there are operational or weatherproofing problems that have developed causing them to discontinue them
go_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Hello fish,
We have had an '02 30' Classic w/ slide for 4 years now. We've had no maintenance or weatherproofing problems. One thing we have on occasion is rain seems to blow in under the awning on the slide. When closing the slide a little residual water can run off the edges inside the coach. A towel will handle this easily. If expecting rain and leaving the next day we have closed the slide ahead of the rain. We spend 3 months in FL in winter and find the extra room provided opens it up enough to prevent cabin fever for us. I spray silicone on the slide gasket and ours looks great yet. I have checked the mechanical parts regularly and have no qualms about this part either. Our trailer weighs 9200# and I tow w/'10 F150 and Equalizer 1000# hitch. We love it!
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I believe the primary reason for discontinuing the slide out models was price point competition: unit sales volumes did not justify the parts inventory, tooling, and factory floor space.

We have an 04 28' model and it works well. Our two Great Danes use the added floor space for sleeping. I am tall enough to brush off any water that remains on the roof of the slide before closing it after a shower before departure. An annual, spray silicone treatment of the gasket is routine maintenance and our gasket appears as new visually. The gears should be cleaned and lubed at the same time.

Operationally, you must be level before opening the slide or risk twisting the gear shafts which prevents closure. That is not an added issue as you need to be level to use the refrigerator anyway.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My feeling is that it was a two fold issue. First the slide unit added considerable weight to the trailer. I can tell you that my 30' slide out was Airstream's heaviest trailer based on a tandem axle. Some of the 34' slides were heavier but they had 3 axles to carry the weight.

Secondly that weight meant heavier hitch weights. I know moving to my slide out, I needed to upgrade to a Class V hitch.

The early slides had some gasket issues but that was solved fairly quickly and if I'm correct, Jackson Center sent out a retro fit for those getting the early slide units.

My Classic was built before Airstream did a general upgrade weight upgrade so with a full freshwater holding tank, I'm pushing very close to my 9,100 lb. GVWR. That makes you very cognitive of what you carry. When I did my first tire replacements I went to E rated ST tires.

I know that the slide also inflated the pricing of the unit. I think it added at least $5,000 back in 2004, possibly more.

Personally I've been happy with the slide and I am very careful to make sure the stabilizer jacks are down before extending or retracting the slide. If those conditions are not met, one can end up having problems. I know when we picked up the trailer, the fellow who was giving us the "training" made this the first point to drill into our heads.

I sometimes shudder to see pictures of slide out units on a dealer lot with the slide extended and no stabilizer jacks down.

We love the extra space out slide gives us, so all things considered I have no regrets.

I just think between pricing and the numbers of orders, Airstream just couldn't justify keeping them in the product line.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
How far out does the Airstream slide out extend?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
My trailer is not nearby or I could easily measure it. Off hand, I'd say it 24-28" and adds about 14 square feet of interior floor space when extended. It is very noticeable since the normal "front" room only has about twenty something once you subtract for couch and dinette in my layout pattern.

I end up with the floor space of a 30' in a 28' model.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
How far out does the Airstream slide out extend?
Twenty and one half inch (20 1/2")
Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
My wife and I traded our 1988 34 foot Limited for a 2006 34 Classic Limited with slide. We absolutely love the slide and all the amenities that came with this trailer.

The old trailer came it at 8800 lbs dry, while the 06 weighs 11500 lbs with a tounge weight of 1050, and I notice the additional pounds, particularly in stop and go traffic. I appreciate the disc brakes with Dexter actuator, and the Hensly hitch that came with the trailer. On the old trailer I was using an Andersen and loved it, but with the weight of this one I'm positive the Hensly is hitch enough along with my F-350 diesel...

All in all for us it all works...

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic S/O
Tucson , Arizona
I recently purchased A 2006 Classic w/slide. Thanks for the info about slide out with stabilizers down. I didn't know that and have adjusted my camp set up break down routine to reflect that.
I have removed my dinette and am replacing with an adjustable desk and 2 15 inch Ikea base cabinets. Need to anchor the cabinets to slide so I can anchor the desk to cabinets. Thinking of using French Cleats for the desk anchor which i am hoping can be installed with rivets, but not sure of how to anchor the desk to the cabinets. Any words of wisdom from you experienced Streamers?
BTY no trouble with slide or gaskets, I am thrilled with the extra space from the slide. Thanks Carolyn
Tschupps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschupps View Post
I recently purchased A 2006 Classic w/slide.

Any words of wisdom from you experienced Streamers?
BTY no trouble with slide or gaskets, I am thrilled with the extra space from the slide. Thanks Carolyn
Carolyn,

Consider this an invitation to join the Slide Out Society, this is our thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post2047467 we also have our inagurual Alumaslider rally next September.

Its a slider owners gang and slide ownership is the only requirement.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:28 AM   #11
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Slide-Out Society Registry - Recruiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Carolyn,

Consider this an invitation to join the Slide Out Society, this is our thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post2047467 we also have our inagurual Alumaslider rally next September.

Its a slider owners gang and slide ownership is the only requirement.

Gary
When I first looked at the thread... I thought it was a gold mine of new sliders to recruit for the Slide-Out Society. Then I saw that the thread started five years ago...

I think I've already PM'd all those that mentioned Slide-Out Ownership

Tom & Wendy - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Carolyn, I don't know about the sidewalls of the slide - but I suspect it is a double aluminum skin (inside and outside) like the rest of the Airstream line. When I removed the dinette to have it reupholstered, I found that the floor of the slide in my '02 had a layer of metal on top of it - at least under the seats. Reassembling the dinette after the upholstery job was a bit more difficult due to not hitting the original screw holes in the floor.

Dan
Old 12-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #13
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Slide-Out Society Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
Carolyn, I don't know about the sidewalls of the slide - but I suspect it is a double aluminum skin (inside and outside) like the rest of the Airstream line. When I removed the dinette to have it reupholstered, I found that the floor of the slide in my '02 had a layer of metal on top of it - at least under the seats. Reassembling the dinette after the upholstery job was a bit more difficult due to not hitting the original screw holes in the floor.

Dan
Dan - Still have your Slide-Out? We'd love to have you as part of the Slide-Out Society Registry... Carolyn joined up yesterday...

Tom & Wendy - S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 12-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Tom and Wendy, we don't have the slide now. We sold it to friends in the Nebraska unit. We now have a 26U and love it.

Dan
Old 12-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #15
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Slide-Out Society Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
Tom and Wendy, we don't have the slide now. We sold it to friends in the Nebraska unit. We now have a 26U and love it.

Dan
Thanks for the update Dan. Have fun with your new trailer!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Tom & Wendy - S/OS #025
- Live Free or Die -
Old 09-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella S/O
Calexico , California
Help, our slideout is not sliding out. Please help, cannot find the problem.
gonzire1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Possible manual deployment if emergency. Check owners manual for details.

Any noises at all?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Between Here , And There
Slide out trouble

1) Check breakers and power to motor

2) Check power at the switch. I know of several In/Out toggle switches which have failed.

Hope this helps
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I’ll presume you released the locks.

Find your controller. Mine is mounted on the wall under the roadside sofa arm. The electrical connections are spade lugs. My power wire came disconnected, contacted another terminal and blew a part in the controller. I was able to repair it. If you are lucky, a wire came off and didn’t touch anything. If so, turn off your battery disconnect and re-attach it. Squish it (technical term) to be sure it stays in place.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote