Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2006, 06:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

asheville , North Carolina
21' 1995 Sovereign

Does anyone have a 21' 1995 Soverign? I am looking to buy one and wondered if anyone has had any problems with this year, size or model. What do you like best and least about it?

Thanks,

Kimberly
lloydnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
We have a '92

Hi Kimberly,

My wife and I have a 1992 21' Sovereign. I believe it is, basically, the same as the 1995 model. We actively looked for a 21' Sovereign for several reasons. The tandem axle is definitely a nice feature. Also, this model has the same tank capacities as some of the larger units. With a tongue weight of 500 pounds and a dry weight of 3900 pounds, it is well within the towing capacity of our 2002 Ford Explorer.

The bed is a little tight (we sleep in a king at home), but cozy. If you intend to travel with any more than two people and a dog, I would look at a larger rig. But for us, it's the perfect size.

Good Luck!

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Mookie,

Thanks so much for your response. Have you experienced any problems with the major systems or leaks with the design of this model? How has the clearcoat held up?

Thanks again,

Kimberly
Old 02-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
21' Sovereign

Kimberly,

I wish I could say that my clearcoat is holding up, but that's not the case. The clearcoat on top is peeling in several spots. I think my rig wasn't stored under cover for most of it's life, so it's not unusual that I'm having clearcoat issues after 14 years. I'm looking for a storage area where they will allow me to erect a canopy. I'm hoping to get my rig re-clearcoated this year and I plan to protect it from sun damage.

The only issues that I've encountered are with the plumbing. In 1992 (I'm not sure about 1995), Airstream used polybutyl plumbing. In some cases, the fittings can come loose. We had a hot water heater fitting separate during a weekend trip. I woke up one morning, sat on the edge of the bed and discovered that the floor was soaking wet (the hot water heater is under the bed). There are a number of posts on this forum about the issues with plastic plumbing. I re-plumbed the hot water heater with PEX and we haven't had any problems since that time.

We are very happy with our 21' Sovereign and I'm sure we would select the same rig if we had it to do all over again. If you are traveling with just two people, and you want the maneuverability of a smaller rig, the safety of a tandem axle, and large tank capacities, this rig can't be beat (in my humble opinion).

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat in more detail.

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Can someone publish a floorplan of this coach?
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
94' Sovereign 21'

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sovereign.jpg
Views:	1762
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	18693  
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I had a '95 21' that I bought new in the fall of 1994. Kept it about 6 years, and the only problem I had was with the clearcoat finish weathering, by the time it was 4 or 5 years old. Zero other problems. We sold it to get a small motorhone, thinking we would get more use from it. If I had it to do over, I would have kept the 21', and if they still made it I would buy another one.

If you find two, let me know!
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

Kimberly,
We have a 1993 21' Sovereign that we like very much. The layout is a cross between a Classic and a 19ft Safari. We like the large sofa instead of the dinette. Makes for better relaxation after a day of hiking or biking! The closet space and other storage is generous for our needs. The vanity seperate from the bathroom is great.
We have have no particular problems with our unit. Regular maintainance is required on any RV. Of course, we are always finding ways to upgrade our unit! The clear coat issue that Mark mentioned are issues on most older Airstreams that I have seen. There may be a small number that have been stored inside all of their lives, but they are rare.
There are many sizes and interior configurations for our aluminum fixations. The key to determining which one is right for you is matching your travel and camping needs with the size and layout. That may take some serious pondering!! Have fun in your search! Juergen
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thanks so much for the excellent advice and comments! This is a wonderful forum and I am grateful to be a part of it. Any thoughts on what you would add to a 1995 Sovereign while it is at the dealership?

We live about 3 hours from the nearest one so we thought we would add a Zip Dee Awning over the curbside of the unit when the 25 point inspection is completed. Also are the stone guards necessary? Any suggestions for other items?

Thanks in advance,

Kimberly
Old 02-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydnc
Thanks so much for the excellent advice and comments! This is a wonderful forum and I am grateful to be a part of it. Any thoughts on what you would add to a 1995 Sovereign while it is at the dealership?

We live about 3 hours from the nearest one so we thought we would add a Zip Dee Awning over the curbside of the unit when the 25 point inspection is completed. Also are the stone guards necessary? Any suggestions for other items?

Thanks in advance,

Kimberly
By stone guards, do you mean the "gravel guards" that go below the windows, also called "segment protectors"? Those are personal preference and optional, they will keep the rounded segements from getting sandblasted and dinged up...mine doesn't have them. If you mean the stone guards that cover the front and wing windows, I consider them a necessity, wing windows are expensive and a pain to replace. At last check the ones for my unit were in the $350 range not including labor, and they don't make the clear ones like I have anymore

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Aaron,

Thanks for the info. I know it is probably a pretty basic question but what are segments on an Airstream? Is it just the metal below the windows on the corners of the trailer?

I did not know about the stone guards for the front windows but they seem like an essential option to have installed. Do they fold up out of the way and then down covering the windows while driving?

Kimberly
Old 02-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Kimberly,
Lower Segments are the curved panels on the front or rear of the trailer, but you only need to worry about the front ones getting peppered with gravel. The window protectors swing out of the way when parked. IIRC your trailer will take the 3 piece ones, most people will leave the curved ones closed and just open up the center one. It acts like an awning over the window when opened. Here is a picture, this unit has the low protectors, the newer ones are come up right under the windows.

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82516808_1.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	18707  
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Kimberly,
I think that there are a number of retrofits that are very important for the 21' Sovereign. We updated the safety in ours by adding LP gas and carbon monoxide detectors. We improved the overall comfort level by changing out the front roof vent to a MaxxFan power vent. This particular unit permits fresh air circulation or exhaust in even wet weather.(Great if you plan on keeping a pet in the coach while you are out and about)
You will find many things to update or change as you get to know your Airstream. Take your time and determine what little things will make your Sovereign special.
Enjoy the experience! Juergen
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for your great advice and comments. Any idea how many 21 Sovereigns were made by Airstream? They are very hard to find. It seems like such a good model with dual axles, larger tanks, and a excellent floor plan.

Kimberly
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Tracy , California
We have a 21 foot 1995 Sovereign. The main change we are considering is to replace the Univolt converter with a modern model. If you leave the converter on while rig is sitting waiting to travel, you will boil the batteries dry and have to replace them. Newer converters are smart enough to treat your battery right. We went through a couple of sets of batteries before wising up!

Other than that we love our trailer. It's a great model, easy to tow, and slower to empty your wallet at the gas pump.

BTW if anyone knows how to get under gaucho (couch) in this model, please let me know! That's where converter is.

John
johnobuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The floor plan that Enduroryda posted shows the floor plan that I saw in many many many of the newer (2000+) models, where the WC is squeezed in beside the bed. I think it's a popular plan because it does make great use of the available space.

Johnobuttons' idea of changing out the Univolt is the only "must" thought I've seen posted in this thread, by the way. Not only is it hard on batteries but it makes a most disagreeable noise, somewhat like an old radio, buzzing. To be gotten rid of ASAP!

If you plan to travel a lot, then the "sunglasses" (dark window guards) and segment protectors are worthwhile, but get ready for a mild shock: they ain't cheap!

Take your time to see what you really want to have: you can always add stuff later, and trust me, you will!
Old 10-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Tracy , California
Here's one other "must have" that we added to our 21' Sovereign. It's the new LED upgrade taillights by Bargman. The installation is as easy as changing a light bulb. Just undo the two screws on the rear taillight cover (lens), remove the lens, remove the light bulb, plug in the new Bargman LED taillight (model 47-84-410), replace two screws and you're ready to roll.

Here's a movie which shows the comparison between old incandescents (on left) and
new LED (on right) The LED's light up noticably faster, an noteworthy safety addition.
AND, it's one of the cheapest Airstream upgrades around!

Johnobuttons
johnobuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I always need help

Here I am again....begging.
Well, I did find a 21' Sovereign. It had been a Boondockers dream and it was set up for that dream. One of the mods he did was to remove the front sofa/bed. Can anyone here point me to a replacement. I'd like to stay with an original look here. Needing upholstery is OK too. I need the arm rests too.....a complete unit. The one in our classifieds is great....but shipping was at 1000. I am between Ft. Worth and Oklahoma City and will travel for it.
Anyway....NEED A FRONT SOFA.
thanks..
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
92 vs 95

We had a 1995 and now a 1992, difference ----- back bumper, ceiling, tail lights, battery compartment and the couch. Like the 1992 Sovereign 21 the best.:
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote