Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1984 - 1989 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #1

1985 25' Sovereign
Burleson , Texas
Red face Need to convert rear twins to single bed

We just bought a wonderful 25' Sovereign (1985) with rear twin beds. We want to convert it to 1 full or queen (if possible). Any ideas on how to do this would be SO helpful. We are afraid of tearing something up! We want to do it in such a way that the coach will keep its value. Does anyone know if there is a "kit" or something that can be purchased to make this process easy, safe and reliable??? Thanks!!! Tina
desmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Tina,

My double bed slides out by means of two skillfully integrated pieces of white oak commonly known as "rails". While I possess the tools to make new pieces should the old ones wear out, I was pleasantly surpised to see Steve offering brand new slides at VintageTrailerSupply.com.

Steve's offering is not a "kit", but it is the primary component needed for your project.

I have some pictures of how my double bed goes together. There's enough information in the pix for a woodworker to build your project. Email me if you want copies.

The pictures are not detailed enough for the novice to build the finish project.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Hi Desmits, welcome!

We use a piece of OSB and a crib mattress to convert the twins to one big bed when we need extra sleeping space.

Leave it home when we don't need it...very simple.

Bill
Old 07-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Tina,

We converted to a "double" by placing a 2x4 frame on the floor and then placing the nightstand on top of that. Next was a pad to protect its surface, then a piece of plywood to cover the gap. Rotating the mattresses 90 degrees produced a very serviceable bed. To better eliminate the seam between the mattresses, we bought a space-foam mattress (about 2" thick) from Costco and that made it a very comfortable bed.

When we decided to sell the unit and the couple wanted twins, it was easy to undo all I had done and revert to factory specs.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Talihina , Oklahoma
Send a message via Skype™ to dwlee6
photos and measurements

Took photos and measurements, attached. Did you get my note about when we might do this?
dwlee6 is offline   Reply With Quote