Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
The Greatleys Overlander Renovation

You may have seen me around the forums. I'm Dan Greatley, and my wife and I bought our 74 Overlander in July of 2015 intending to renovate it for full-time travel. I had a copy of Restoring the Dream, which led me to believe that I could complete the job in a year and we could ride off into the sunset on our honeymoon.

June 2016, we got married, and spent our month long honeymoon in our aluminum tent. We had a bed, a fridge but no propane to run it, a wood stove, and a composting toilet but no bathroom wall.

It's now March 2018 and I've nearly finished the renovation. We've been traveling for a while in various stages of completion. This is our tiny house, not a collectors item. I have thrown most everything out, rebuilt the interior to our liking, and chopped whatever holes in the shell I wanted, wherever it suited me.

Leanne and I are in our 30s, and not retired or independently wealthy. We are both digital nomads, doing our best to invest our time and resources mindfully.

Our renovation blog is at thegreatleys.com. We are @thegreatleys on Instagram.

Here are some photos of the current state of our Airstream.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180323_123957.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	307031Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_115623.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	307032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_122610.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	307033Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_115726.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	307034Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_115812.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	307035Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_120001.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	307036Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_115913.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	307037Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_115846.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	307038Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_115803.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	307039Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_120113.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	307040
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland

Name:	IMG_20180324_120147.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	307041Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_120157.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	307042Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_140942.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	307043
Old 03-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
From another thread I didn't mean to hijack:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I really like your creative redesign of your Overlander.

Is that ceramic tile on the shower walls? If so, how is it holding up traveling?

What kind of range is that? I will be redoing our 95 34’ and I would like to install a range and dishwasher in it as you have done in your Overlander.

Thanks, Dan
Yes, it's 3/8" ceramic tile attached with modified thinset. Substrate is 1/2" ply with Kerdi membrane on top and 1x2 studs for structure. It's been in for 7 months of travel so far and no signs of any issues. I'm not concerned about it. The shower enclosure is not attached to the wall very tightly. It's sort of a rigid floating box. So any flex in the trailer frame is not really transferred to the shower walls.

The range is an Atwood, the 17" model. It feels kind of chintzy, but it fit perfectly above the dishwasher and a nicer marine range wasn't in the budget. It works fine after adding a pizza stone on top of the oven rack. The stove igniter is dodgy, so I keep an aim-a-flame with my utensils.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Dan, your project is well thought out and organized for what suits you two. Too many people get too aggressive on their renovation schedule and end up missing things things they wished they would have thought of. Our latest project had a two year renovation timeline, but I missed that by six or eight months. Oh well, it is what it is. Not regretting the extended timeline, just having fun. Your 74 is looking greatly. Have fun, enjoy and see you down the road. Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
You guys have done a wonderful job of renovating in a manner that suits your needs. We've been following the blog and these additional pictures you just posted give us a good visual to add to the write ups.

We have an empty 62 Ambassador (that we camp in) that will eventually get a similar treatment to yours.

Will be saving your pictures for inspiritation.

Going to study the pictures a bit more on a bigger screen then ask some questions.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:30 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
I agree!! I love this. You have taken something and made it completely your own. We have gotten comments from folks wondering why are we taking everything out? Why would you do that to a vintage airstream,? Well, we bought it and we are preparing for our future ( we are 20+years older than you and Mrs, Greatly physically) lol but, want something that works for us! I can't stop showing my husband your "Home"! Would love to stay in contact with you during and after this adventure!!! You've been a great help and jumped right in to offer info on your remodel! Thank you!!
Sdmezurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Lafayette , Louisiana
the greatlys

love your re-do. I'm currently in the "what to keep, what to tear out" phase, and you have given me inspiration---I'd like a clean slate. My question is did you guys pull out the interior walls and replace insulation? Also, your kitchen cabinets and countertops are beautiful---are they custom made and what materials did you use. I love wood, but don't want to add weight to the trailer. thanks for any feedback. BTW---you two are cute as pie
clarezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdmezurek View Post
I agree!! I love this. You have taken something and made it completely your own. We have gotten comments from folks wondering why are we taking everything out? Why would you do that to a vintage airstream,? Well, we bought it and we are preparing for our future ( we are 20+years older than you and Mrs, Greatly physically) lol but, want something that works for us! I can't stop showing my husband your "Home"! Would love to stay in contact with you during and after this adventure!!! You've been a great help and jumped right in to offer info on your remodel! Thank you!!
Yes, exactly this! The interior was absolutely disgusting when we got it. Black vinyl upholstery and curtains, strong smell of stale cigarette smoke and mouse. It wasn't a good candidate for restoration, and a restored Airstream was not what we wanted. We wanted a tiny house that was fit to tow across the country.

Restorations are awesome. There are some folks on this forum who are doing amazing work restoring Airstreams to their original condition or a modernized version of that. This is not one of those.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarezy View Post
love your re-do. I'm currently in the "what to keep, what to tear out" phase, and you have given me inspiration---I'd like a clean slate. My question is did you guys pull out the interior walls and replace insulation? Also, your kitchen cabinets and countertops are beautiful---are they custom made and what materials did you use. I love wood, but don't want to add weight to the trailer. thanks for any feedback. BTW---you two are cute as pie
Thanks! Yes, this was a full shell-off remodel. Insulation was pulled and replaced. I used reflectix loosely attached to the upper half with foam tape, then rockwool on top and everywhere else. My thinking was that anywhere the reflectix fell away would create the void needed to make it work, and anywhere it was pressed against the ceiling, it was at least as good as the same thickness of rockwool. Ribs insulated with double-stick foam tape stuck to sill gasket. There's lots of pictures of insulation and links to all the materials on the blog.

The counter is oak Ikea butcher block with matte finish wiping varnish. It weighs less than it looks, since a large percentage of it is cut out for the sink and the stove, and the long section is shallower than a standard counter. I originally wanted to use a product called Paperstone, but I didn't want to drive to the nearest distributor three states away.

The cabinets are also wood, custom made mostly from pine 1x2s, glued and pocket screwed. They're also desceptively lightweight. It's basically a face frame with a few supports, then horizontal supports attached to the wall to support the counter and drawer hardware. There isn't much to them. No bottom, no back, no sides except for the far left and right. Lots of detail on the build process of the cabinets and pantry on the blog.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Dan, your project is well thought out and organized for what suits you two. Too many people get too aggressive on their renovation schedule and end up missing things things they wished they would have thought of. Our latest project had a two year renovation timeline, but I missed that by six or eight months. Oh well, it is what it is. Not regretting the extended timeline, just having fun. Your 74 is looking greatly. Have fun, enjoy and see you down the road. Bubba
I was definitely disappointed at my timeline, but there's only so much you can do when you only have the weekends to work with. I spent a lot of time on the frame, subfloor, and running gear because I wanted it to be safe to tow and last for another four decades.

The honeymoon was a lot more like camping than I had hoped, but we had a nice time, and now we have a solid house to live in.

I have to say, it's been incredibly handy to have all the off-grid equipment we have. The composting toilet, the solar, the wood stove, the fridge that doesn't need AC power. We farm-sat in Kentucky for two months with no hookups, and we were fine. We're currently parked in a field, been here for a week, and we're not missing hookups at all. It was a lot of work to set up, but it's been worth it.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
West Salem , Ohio
I have to say, it's been incredibly handy to have all the off-grid equipment we have. The composting toilet, the solar, the wood stove, the fridge that doesn't need AC power. We farm-sat in Kentucky for two mQonths with no hookups, and we were fine. We're currently parked in a field, been here for a week, and we're not missing hookups at all. It was a lot of work to set up, but it's been worth it.

Mr.Greatly,. Your posts are Great!
Lol. Ok. So you stated your process is in a blog?!.. you ,your wife and AS stole.my heart at off -grid and farm!
Like I stated in an earlier post, your younger than us, and I'm so happy to see how you've chosen to live!
Without going thru previous posts, may I ask the brand of refrigerator, solar and toilet you chose? Are you in Kentucky? Has the wood stove kept it livable? What do you do for a water resource? And the solar unit is fascinating to me... I think I'm your mother or older sister from another time! There's so much we need to do to our AS when it comes back Fri. And so I don't drag this convocation on , I'll try and stay in touch via message. And if your ever in North central Ohio, let us know, we've plenty of room if you need a short stay !
Sdmezurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdmezurek View Post
Mr.Greatly,. Your posts are Great!
Lol. Ok. So you stated your process is in a blog?!.. you ,your wife and AS stole.my heart at off -grid and farm!
Like I stated in an earlier post, your younger than us, and I'm so happy to see how you've chosen to live!
Without going thru previous posts, may I ask the brand of refrigerator, solar and toilet you chose? Are you in Kentucky? Has the wood stove kept it livable? What do you do for a water resource? And the solar unit is fascinating to me... I think I'm your mother or older sister from another time! There's so much we need to do to our AS when it comes back Fri. And so I don't drag this convocation on , I'll try and stay in touch via message. And if your ever in North central Ohio, let us know, we've plenty of room if you need a short stay !
The fridge is a Dometic propane/electric model. If you use one of those, I highly recommend the Fridge Fix from smartrvprodicts.com. It's a fan that circulates air across the cooling coil, which prevents frost buildup and makes the fridge work much more like a household model. If you were feeling handy, you could rig up some computer case fans to do the same thing for far less money, but the fridge fix is a nice package unit and works well.

If I had to do it again, I'd more seriously consider a DC compressor fridge, which would have been much more efficient to run off of solar.

I chose the Air Head toilet. It's very similar to the Nature's Head. Seems expensive for what it is, but works great and it means we never have to dump black water.

The wood stove has kept it toasty in here easily down to zero degree temps. We try to have hookups if we're in extreme hot or cold weather, but it's nice to have the option to heat the Airstream with no electricity at all, and without burning through our propane. And it's nicer to watch in the evenings than television.

We've been filling up the water at parks, mostly. Our last stop had a water supply. This one does not, so I'm going to be taking my jerry cans into town to find something. We had a faucet nearby when we camped on the farm in Kentucky.

The bigger issue is the gray water. Some places you can let it percolate into the ground, some places you have to dump it like black water. We have about 44 gallons of gray water storage, so if we're careful, we can go quite a while before having to dump the tanks.

The solar is all from AM solar. I put the roof combiner box in first so I could prewire everything while I had the interior skins off, and to allow easy expansion later. And because I didn't have the money for all the other stuff yet. I now have four SP100 panels (I bought the kits with the wiring and rocker mounts), and a blue sky 3024i charge controller. I think AM Solar has since switched to Victron products for their charge controllers. They were great to deal with.

I have family in Akron, so I might say hi when I'm passing through sometime.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Palm Desert , California
Shower tile

Can you describe the "modified thinset"? How was it modified, what brands, etc? Thank you!

Yes, it's 3/8" ceramic tile attached with modified thinset. Substrate is 1/2" ply with Kerdi membrane on top and 1x2 studs for structure. It's been in for 7 months of travel so far and no signs of any issues. I'm not concerned about it. The shower enclosure is not attached to the wall very tightly. It's sort of a rigid floating box. So any flex in the trailer frame is not really transferred to the shower walls.

The range is an Atwood, the 17" model. It feels kind of chintzy, but it fit perfectly above the dishwasher and a nicer marine range wasn't in the budget. It works fine after adding a pizza stone on top of the oven rack. The stove igniter is dodgy, so I keep an aim-a-flame with my utensils.[/QUOTE]
DesertRat223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat223 View Post
Can you describe the "modified thinset"? How was it modified, what brands, etc? Thank you!

The range is an Atwood, the 17" model. It feels kind of chintzy, but it fit perfectly above the dishwasher and a nicer marine range wasn't in the budget. It works fine after adding a pizza stone on top of the oven rack. The stove igniter is dodgy, so I keep an aim-a-flame with my utensils.
[/QUOTE]
Modified thinset has a polymer additive to improve performance and strength. The exact product I used was Mapei Ultraflex 2.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Got a question about the shower build, so here we go.

Bought a household 32x32" alcove shower pan. Built a platform out of 2x4s, which I ripped to the minimum width I needed to have the proper slope for the drain. Not pictured, the part I cut out for the drain pipe run.

Name:	IMG_20170426_114722.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	309175

Here's the pan in place with the bench. It's important that the surface of the bench gently slopes toward the drain. I did a 1/4" rise in the 10" depth of the pan. If I had to do it again, I'd make the slope more aggressive, since the trailer is not always dead level. The gray door sitting in the shower pan is a waterproof marine access panel, which I will use to access the area behind the water heater. I want to be able to get back there for maintenance on the water heater, there are low point drains in that compartment, and there are also valves to isolate the shower valve for winterization. I also installed an LP detector here, since the water heater has an LP connection in a relatively confined space.

Name:	IMG_20170512_141018.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	309176

Name:	IMG_20170512_141730.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	309177

Here's the framing for the shower wall. The idea is to build a floating box that's only loosely attached to the side of the trailer. I don't want a lot of vibration and flexing from the trailer frame to transfer to the tiled wall.

Name:	IMG_20170613_163221.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	309178

Here it is with the plywood walls in place. The walls are 1/2" plywood.

Name:	IMG_20170615_165901.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	309179

Tile choices...

Name:	IMG_20170619_181728.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	309180

I covered the three plywood walls and the bench with Kerdi waterproofing membrane. I covered the two side walls with allclad aluminum instead of tile to save on weight. The sheets were cut to match the walls and glued in place with sikaflex 221.

Name:	IMG_20170626_101849.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	309181

Working on building the bathroom cabinet. Framed in pine 1x2s and 2x2s, finished with cedar boards.

Name:	IMG_20170628_132420.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	309182
Old 04-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland

Name:	IMG_20170628_152913.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	309183

There are never enough clamps.

Name:	IMG_20170628_213521.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	309184

Installing the vessel sink on the counter. It's glued down with sikaflex.

Name:	IMG_20170630_090526.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	309185

Finished shower tile.

Name:	IMG_20170808_150256.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	309186

Leanne liked the tile in the shower, so I used that to finish this little section of floor, too.

Name:	IMG_20180324_120113.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	309187

Finished shower enclosure with shelves.

Name:	IMG_20180324_120147.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	309188
Old 04-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Looks great! Congrats!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Is that a standard house hand wand? We have a similar combo wand / rain shower in our house which I was considering for ours.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
Is that a standard house hand wand? We have a similar combo wand / rain shower in our house which I was considering for ours.
Yup. Kohler.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Thanks-- like installation. We're not so handy, so we'd probably see if our nearest AS mechanic would do it.

Did you order yours from the manufacturer?

Does it require a power source or minimum temperature to operate efficiently? Winterizing?

OK, sorry to get down-and-dirty about this, but the product is what it is.

Is this the kind of composting toilet where you have to bodily separate one's "liquids" from "solids" while "in the act" for it to work properly? (How easy for women of a certain age and weak bladders?) I did find this: https://airheadtoilet.com/the-air-head/female-friendly/

And frankly, it's not just with boondocking in mind. We've had two icky-poo problems at campgrounds: one with hookups and the other at a sani-dump, partly due to a black water tank diagnostic that doesn't correlate well to the actual tank level; and also due to a poor waste-water hose connection.

Funny, my husband just offered to buy me some nice jewelry for an upcoming birthday. Would I seem unappreciative or non-romantic if I asked for a composting toilet instead?????

Jeanne
Yes, we ordered ours directly from the manufacturer and I self-installed. Installation requires bolting it to the floor and running the fan outside (a 1-1/2" hole if I recall correctly -- I went through the belly pan). The fan runs on 12V with a very small draw, which we tied into the Airstream's 12V system. If you're removing an existing RV toilet, the black tank will need to be capped. Others have had Airstream techs do their installs, so I don't see why you couldn't find one to do it.

"Composting toilet" is kind of a misnomer. There is no composting going on in the toilet itself. If you want to compost your waste and you have land to do so, pick up a copy of the Humanure Handbook. We just bag our solids and put it in the trash, same as we would do with dog waste or dirty disposable diapers. Liquids find their way to a friendly tree if we're in a sufficiently remote area, or in a public toilet if one is accessible.

I'm not aware of a minimum operating temperature, but I imagine it might be hard to stir the solids tank or empty the liquids if it froze solid. For winterizing, just empty the liquids and solids tanks.

The Air Head (and very similar but more popular Nature's Head) easily separate solids from liquids automatically for a seated passenger. There is a door that opens/closes for the solids, and it might take a few tries to get used to lining yourself up with the hole, but it becomes second nature very quickly. The liquids run forward to the liquids tank, and it would be very difficult to miss with the liquids when seated.

I'm a big fan of the composting toilet. It works wonderfully for our lifestyle. My only gripe is that I don't know why they all seem to cost $1,000+. There just doesn't seem to be a $1,000 worth of plastic there. I guess that's just the price the market will bear.

As for romance, I can say this. I feel much better about having an exhaust fan constantly running on our toilet when my wife is sleeping just a couple of feet away. Not only does the fan remove odors from the toilet tanks, but it captures odors emitted by the passenger as well, which is a big plus for marital bliss in small quarters.