Old 03-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Newbie bringing AS from our place in Canada to our place in the US for the first time

Has anyone got any tips or information on bringing our Airstream over the border from Canada to the US. My wife is Canadian & the Airstream is registered in her name.
Canadian friends have offered to tow it down & meet us in Ohio.
We have no idea what they going to ask for
Thanks for your help

cyclistream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Maybe I can jump onto this thread to ask a related question. If one is enrolled in NEXUS, is one able to use the NEXUS lane while towing the Airstream?

Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Using NEXUS Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
Maybe I can jump onto this thread to ask a related question. If one is enrolled in NEXUS, is one able to use the NEXUS lane while towing the Airstream?
Yes you can use the NEXUS lane.

While crossing at the tunnel from Windsor to Detroit I had to use the truck lane instead of the NEXUS lane because of height restrictions. It was easy as there were no trucks at the time. At other border crossing the usual NEXUS lane has been fine.

From time to time the border agent will want to look inside the trailer, so have the key ready, but I have never had to go into secondary.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
cyclistream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Yes you can use the NEXUS lane.

While crossing at the tunnel from Windsor to Detroit I had to use the truck lane instead of the NEXUS lane because of height restrictions. It was easy as there were no trucks at the time. At other border crossing the usual NEXUS lane has been fine.

From time to time the border agent will want to look inside the trailer, so have the key ready, but I have never had to go into secondary.
Any experience of this crossing the Washington - BC border crossings, that is, from the USA into Canada? Particularly at Summas?

Mike
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprose View Post
Any experience of this crossing the Washington - BC border crossings, that is, from the USA into Canada? Particularly at Summas?

Mike
Sorry, I haven't been across the border there, but regularily use five crossing points from Southern Ontario to NY and MI with no problems. There is one NEXUS only bridge at the Whirlpool in Niagara Falls that doesn't allow any trailers.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Everett , Ontario
You will want to cross at Sarnia rather than Windsor if going that way, as it is more stress and vehicle free. I75 has detours as you cross at Detroit so that's a second thing. I would not recommend bringing any fresh food/firewood across as that is always a reason to get brought in for further questioning. Good Luck.
Warren Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
OP didn't specify if they are moving or just vacationing. Either way you should not have a problem bringing the trailer into US, but if you are having it pulled for you you may need to have the owner in the vehicle as it crosses to border. Leave the trailer door and all compartments unlocked...simplifies the inspection.

I cross at Windsor and Sarnia regularly each year with my AS. You will need to know your trailer licence number and have ownership available..seems to be a new thing. They started asking for ownership of both trailer and tow vehicle last summer.
You do not want to bring any fresh meat or fruits or vegetables across if you want a quick crossing. I have variously been let through and/or had everything confiscated. They are particularly concerned about citrus fruits. If you have a dog or cat they may want to see the Veterinarian Certificate of Vaccination. This occurs about 20% of the time for me. They want a succinct timetable of where you are going and for how long...and they want to know how much money you are carrying. Always interesting when they learn I'm going for three months with only $500 cash. "How are you going to live on that?"...answer is credit cards and cash machines.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have crossed the border near Lynden WA a couple of times with the Airstream.
Never waited very long going either way. Maybe fifteen minutes at the most coming back to US.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Not concerned going into Canada, but will see how returning into then USA goes, given the current attitude of US Cistoms and Immigration.

comprose is offline   Reply With Quote