Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1974 - 1977 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cumming , Georgia
Howdy everyone..Any advice for a new owner?

New..well new to me. 1974 airstream overlander international owner. No owners manual, it has new flooring, and the and and fridge work. Exterior lights are fine, axle is fine. Nothing else has been tested yet to my knowledge. And I know the heater has a crack in it and needs to be replaced.

Any advice on what to check, how to check it etc would be awesome. I'd like to slowly fix/Improve things. Not really wanting to "restore" to original. But I'd like to respect history and such as I go along.

Glad to find this place, and I hope for many years of fun and adventures.

Hello to all :0)
Rofkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Wecome to the forum.

You probably need new axles if they have not already been replaced. I would get new axles along with new brakes.

You probably need to replace the univolt with a new converter- much better for your batteries. They are very inexpensive and easy to install.

Lots of threads on both of these items on the forum.

If you are going to do any boondocking, I would switch to LED lights for the interior to save your battery (ies). Might think about adding a second battery if you will be boondocking.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, Rofkrynn! As you seem to know, any and all questions regarding your trailer can and will be answered here.

I think a good way to start is to go all over your trailer and be sure that any and all leaks are taken care of. There are three vents on the roof for the three tanks you have (fresh water, grey water and black water) and they are famous for leaking. Get them first, since if the previous owner didn't, they wil be a source of water coming in.

In fact, the roof has a lot of penetration points, so spend some time up there first, perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofkrynn View Post
<snip> and the and and fridge work.
What did you mean to say here? One word got missed, I think...

cheers,
Aage
Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, Rofkrynn! As you seem to know, any and all questions regarding your trailer can and will be answered here.

I think a good way to start is to go all over your trailer and be sure that any and all leaks are taken care of. There are three vents on the roof for the three tanks you have (fresh water, grey water and black water) and they are famous for leaking. Get them first, since if the previous owner didn't, they wil be a source of water coming in.

In fact, the roof has a lot of penetration points, so spend some time up there first, perhaps.

What did you mean to say here? One word got missed, I think...

cheers,
Aage
The ad (air conditioner) and fridge work
Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Welcome to the 70's Overlander club! I would second the motion to find and seal all leaks, and add inspecting/replacing the rubber weatherstripping around windows and the door. If yours is still flexible and uncracked, with no gaps, it could be ok but after 38 years that is doubtful. My OL needed these, and new skylight domes, and window screens, and axles, and water heater, and lots of other things to make her weather-tight and ready to roll. Have fun with yours!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
inspection list

This is an inspection list that was created for those who go to look at and inspect trailers for others. That is where I would start! Good luck!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Aage the fresh water tank does not vent through the roof. It vents through the fill port on the side of the trailer. The third vent on the roof is for venting the drain line from the kitchen sink and the shower. It is located above the galley area. The gray tank vent is located on the curbside roof farther rearward above the bathroom. The black tank vent is located roadside even farther rearward above the bedroom area.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
I second everyone's thoughts to seal up the shell first and foremost. On the roof there are vent pipe lids, crank up roof vents, A/C, and the TV antenna. The vista view windows are also notoriuos for leaking between the glass and the frame. Replace all the lift up window gaskets, compartment door and entry door gaskets. The fixed windows ( vista views, stack windows and wing windows can also leak between the glass and the window frames. Seal all the window and door frames to the shell. Airstream also has a infamous problem of the rear bumper compartment cover causing water to be funneled back against the shell. It will then leak into the belly pan and cause the floor to rot and the frame to rust out. That area should also be sealed.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofkrynn View Post
The ad (air conditioner) and fridge work
Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification. In that case, I would pay particular attention to the water heater and the furnace. Where you live, I don't suppose you would use the furnace often, but if those two appliances are original, in my book, they are both very likely to have rusted past the point of useful, safe service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Aage the fresh water tank does not vent through the roof.
Thanks for reminding me, Chris. One of the first things I did when I bought my TT was to remove and clean up the roof plumbing vents and install the little kit that Andy at IRV sells. It was my introduction to Vulkem, as it used to be called. Since then it came without instructions, I didn't realize that I installed the screen wrong (too low), but somehow the trailer and I managed to survive.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Cumming , Georgia
When I went to look at the trailer, I discovered it's a 77 overlander not a 74

C'est la vie.

Thanks for all the great advice.. First project is replace the oven (missing) and replace the furnace (cracked exchange)

Then after that, get the water system up and running.

I actally take possession of the trailer in 3 weeks.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Rofkrynn,

There are a lot of active Airstreamers around the Atlanta area. One of the members over by Athens is working on a second Overlander. Also, there is a very energetic WBCCI GA unit with a campground just north of Helen. All are great sources of information.

Welcome to the world of Airstreaming!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
I want to second and reinforce the "replace the converter" advice. Other than checking for leaks, that should be at the top of the list. The old original one is a battery boiler. We had the classic back fender/compartment leak in our 1972 Overlander, and it deserves fairly prompt attention too. The furnace is another priority- sounds like you are heading in the right direction. Good luck!
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
No advice here, but welcome to the forum. You'll find it to be such a big help. Congratulations on that 74 AS. I love that year and the International, too. Our motto is to pretty much do only what we have to in order to keep enjoying our Excella.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
rochester , Michigan
I have a overlander 74 twin and would like to move the bedroom to the rear and move the bathroom . Any where I could get floor plan for this
.thanks
freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Welcome to Airstreaming and the family of Airforums! You are just in time to join us at two different rallies near you. One is in Hiawassee, GA on April 13-15 and the other one is at Stone Mtn on April 27-29. You will get to meet fellow airstreamers and do a tour of homes. Lots of fun

I don't have any different advice than what you have gotten here except to ENJOY! You will love it!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote