Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
2015 28' International
Little Rock , Arkansas
How do I remove the roof top TV antenna?

Since I am not using it and never plan to, I want to remove the antenna from the roof of my 1974 27' Overlander. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions? I will also need directions on how to plug the remaining hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Midlife toys.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	180365  
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Start on the inside and take the set screw out that holds the handle in place. Once the handle is off, there are some plastic housings that have to be removed to get at the hardware that holds the antenna in place from the inside. I don't have a clear picture in my mind what that looks like (its, spring clips, cotter pins, nuts, etc.). Once the mechanism has been freed from the inside, you will be able to lift the antenna off of the roof and pull the shaft out of the hole that goes through the roof. There will also be the coaxial cable that goes through the roof in a separate hole. The mount for my antenna was a cast pot-metal affair that was pop riveted into the roof skin. The rivets need to be removed, and this pot-metal mounting plate removed. You will then need a round aluminum patch ~8" in diameter, as I recall, that you will seal and rivet into place with olympic rivets.

Be sure not to step on an endcap while working on the roof, or you can permanently dent it.

Good luck.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Actually, the more I think back about when I removed mine, I think you may have to remove interior panels in order to access the backside of the mechanism. If that is the case, then I would recommend just removing the entire antenna with the mounting plate from the outside, and not doing anything more inside than removing the crank so the antenna deployment shaft can slide through the interior ceiling skin.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
What are you planning to do with the antenna when you remove it? It might be a good parts donor.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
2015 28' International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks Vaughan, that's a good idea ... if I ever get the antenna off. I see you're in Little Rock. Me, too.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I've removed the TV antenna from both my '74 Overlander and my '77 Argosy motorhome. Both were the same way...remove the handle at the interior ceiling. In the case of the moho, the set-screw could not be removed so I had to use a flexible blade and my recip. saw to cut it off. After that, get up top on the exterior (read the numerous threads here about how NOT to step on your roof!). There are 6 or 8 olympic rivets that hold the antenna base-plate to the roof. They will likely be covered in vulkem or similar sealant. If so, scrape that off with a knife or screwdriver. Drill out the rivets with a 1/8" drill. There is most likely a good bit of sealer now holding the base plate to the roof. A gentle bend / twist of the whole antenna might break things loose. If not, run a knife around the perimeter of the antenna base-plate. It might also require a gentle wedge of a screwdriver between the base-plate and the roof to get things started. The whole antenna base-plate and mechanism will come off. Clean up the now exposed area (scrape away remaining sealer, punch out rivet nubs, clean up dirt). Using aviator shears (tin snips), cut a replacement piece of aluminum sheet. Use the old base-plate as a template and drill or punch holes in the new sheet. Use a liberal mount of vulkem and put the new sheet in place of the old antenna. Rivet the new sheet in place with 1/8" olympic rivets. Apply vulkem around the perimeter of the new plate. Done. Enjoy your cleaner-looking Airstream.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote