Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2021, 07:12 PM   #561
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Looks like a great use of space and a simple way to keep plates organized. If you’re looking for projects this winter, I’m working on a 63 Bambi in the barn and helping another friend of mine in another town with his 61 Tradewind and Overlander over the phone. When can we expect your arrival?
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:35 PM   #562
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, well, I don't know. It is a long ways to Texas. I envy you that you arranged some vintage Airstream work. I am "consulting" with a local Airstream friend on his 77 Trade Wind 25'. After we put new axles under it, he went and hitched up his "aluminum tent" and headed east. I may not see him again until spring.

Take care, a guy can get pretty sick out there.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:40 PM   #563
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, I towed my 75 Overlander 27' to southwest Colorado to attend the Arizona Club vintage Airstream rally. Region 11 was also a co-host. It is a great event organized by great Airstreamers.

I had a disappointment on the way to the rally. I had installed a new Korhee door lockset to replace the KT lock, which was working fine but I guess I don't trust them. The Korhee comes with a built in dead bolt. I think I messed up locking the dead bolt and my door blew open on the highway. My curved entry door is now a straight door! It bent badly, with maybe a 2" gap at the top and the bottom of the door. See photo.

Well, I told my sad tail to a few of the nice folks at the rally, and to my surprise four highly experienced Airstreamer gentlemen showed up at my campsite and proceeded to repair my bent door. They did a most excellent job and were done in two hours. I helped a bit, but mostly watched these Airstream craftsman at work. I learned how to do it. A classic example of Airstreamers helping Airstreamers. I am most thankful.

I was surprised how many Airstreamers have had this experience. Forget the deadbolt lock, and wham, the door could blow open There was talk about a "seminar" next year on how to repair a bent Airstream entry door.

Otherwise the Overlander worked great, kept us very comfortable and I saw many, many very nicely done vintage Airstreams at the rally.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2206 Door Bent Bottom-800x600.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	418095   Click image for larger version

Name:	2206 Overlander Rear Curb-800x600.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	418096  

KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
Old 06-22-2022, 10:09 PM   #564
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
75 Overlander Improvements Journal

I made some wood door holders that fit in the grab handle and keeps the door from flying open. My door was popping open on the road and I found it was due to multiple frame cracks. The cracks have been repaired and the door now stays shut but I use the wood holder as a safety just in case. Your trailer looks great.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:24 AM   #565
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
David I always jokingly say NEVER tell anyone at an Airstream gathering that you have an issue with your Airstream. Or the next thing you know you will have to 6 - 12 people on, in or under your rig. It ALWAYS turns out to be a good thing though! Lots of opinions out there! Just be sure to have enough snacks and adult beverages to make it through the severity of the issue at hand.

Just remember if man (or woman) made it.
Man (or woman) can fix it.

Your Airstream is looking really good! Great workmanship!! Cheers!!!

MsRivet
Not all those who wander are lost.
Living the Dream ... Plan B
The 75 year journey of our Airstream Liner . . .
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f60...ey-176336.html
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:23 PM   #566
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I always figured if you have an independent deadbolt lock and you always lock it securely before towing, your good. My Overlander never had an independent deadbolt lock. The Korhee lock comes with a built in deadbolt lock which is a neat feature.

Well because Airstreams have a suicide door the Korhee lock is installed upside down. Doing this means the deadbolt lock is locked by turning the key counter-clockwise. The Korhee lockset also has a locking lever lock. I believe I locked the lever lock first, and then "locked" the deadbolt by turning the key clockwise, which is the normal way to lock a deadbolt. Since I had already locked the lever lock I did not test the deadbolt lock to make sure it was engaged. Airstreams flex quite a bit while towing. I believe my lever lock wasn't engaged enough to hold the door shut during the flexing and bang, the door blew open.

I made a wood "wedgie" to jam into the grab handle, extend to the door and will prevent the door from flying open. I have also improved the engagement of the Korhee lever lock bolt as well as the dead bolt lock. The extra engagement will make the locks work better, but I will always use my wedgie as insurance from his happening again.

Live and learn with the Airstream.

David
Old 06-02-2023, 07:18 AM   #567
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Hello from Florida

Hey David

Following Harold’s 57-58 project and read you response post. It was good to see that you are still actively engaged, encouraging people and maintaining long-time connections.

We just got back from a one month trip in Faith and she performed beautifully. We had some minor issues that I will write about on my thread, but nothing that detracted from our trip.

When I think about my AS project, I think about all the help you gave me and I am continuously grateful.
wcronin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:37 PM   #568
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Well, well hello wcronin4: Sounds like you folks are doing well, survived the storms, and out traveling with your beautiful 78 Sovereign. It is a new Airstream in an old body. Too bad someone can't do that to me. By the way, I enjoy following others in their renovation projects and offering cheap advice. I think I was working on my friend's 76 Sovereign at the time you doing yours.

We're going to the International Rally in Rock Springs, Wyoming. It is only 6 hours north of us. I figured it a good opportunity to do it. There will be 1200 Airstreams there and I plan on looking at every one of them. We're taking the wife's 86 Limited 34' which is well maintained but not renovated.

Take care,

David