Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1973-1974 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Guess the tongue weight
under 250 lbs 3 9.68%
250 to 275 lbs 1 3.23%
275 to 300 lbs 5 16.13%
300 to 325 lbs 9 29.03%
325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #261
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel You probably had the reels and the PO removed them. The door is in the belly pan side wrap. There is a piece of plywood sitting on 2 outriggers that the reels sit on. Did you find the last 2 outriggers on the road side that had a small piece of angle iron welded to them. That is what the plywood sits on. The floor is cut out in that area. There is a plastic shroud that cover everything from the inside. the whole assembly sits under the bed. The other hole that the PO covered with tin is the hole for the water heater.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #262
x

XXXX , XXXX
New Lights

I got a small order in yesterday from LED`S4RVS. I put in the pad LED for the over the door light(porch light). It attaches quite easily and at the same time I replaced the original socket with a new one. I also installed the new light lens from INLAND RV. It didn`t fit quite right just like the original so I spent some time last night filing and sanding the edges to get it to fit tighter into the housing. Today I installed the whole assembly and also installed the new scare light. On my old one the chrome housing was very pitted so I ordered the complete unit. The new one comes with only three mounting holes and the old one had six so I drilled out the other three ones, applied butyl tape to the new housing and installed it with new stainless steel screws. The screws don`t pull the light in tight to the shell so I intend to replace them with stainless machine screws and nylon lock nuts.
I`m still waiting for the local shop to fabricate the hew fan guard for the air conditioner fan. The guard goes above the shroud on the roof. They are also fabricating a removeable screen and frame. This screen will keep all the tree droppings etc. from filling up the shroud again. The parts may be ready on Thursday and I will try to get the shroud installed over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New LED Scare & Porch Light 001.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	117473   Click image for larger version

Name:	New LED Scare & Porch Light 003.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	117474  

Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #263
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
The screws don`t pull the light in tight to the shell so I intend to replace them with stainless machine screws and nylon lock nuts.
Hi, Chris.

So, does this make the cover non-removable? Or am I not getting something (again)?

I suppose it doesn't matter since the LED lights are good for a l-o-n-g while, right?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #264
x

XXXX , XXXX
Aage it is the chrome housing that is not sitting in as tight as I would like it. The butyl tape is a little bit thicker than the original two sided foam tape. I would like to pull the housing in tighter to the shell to compress the butyl and completely seal the housing. I will of course seal it inside with vulkem and seal the outside edge with parbond. All part of my triple or quardruple method of sealing up openings. The lens is still removable and it has it`s own felt gasket to seal it. I do plan to replace the stupid phillips screws holding the lens with again stainless machine screws with the better Robertson heads.
BTW both lights come with the warning not to leave them on during the day as the heat of the LED and sunshine plus daytime temps will cause premature failure of the LED. So I guess they don`t last forever.
I had a conversation with Dan at LED`S4RVS yesterday. We talked about interior lights. he has a 42 LED pad for the ceiling fixtures which give off 1042 lumens (equivalent to 100 Watt incandescant) and only uses 133 milliamps of power comared to the original 10 watt bulb that uses 1.2 amps. That is amazing 10 times the light for about one tenth the power consumption. They are however 20 times the price of the original bulbs.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #265
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Aage it is the chrome housing that is not sitting in as tight as I would like it. The butyl tape is a little bit thicker than the original two sided foam tape. I would like to pull the housing in tighter to the shell to compress the butyl and completely seal the housing. I will of course seal it inside with vulkem and seal the outside edge with parbond. All part of my triple or quardruple method of sealing up openings. The lens is still removable and it has it`s own felt gasket to seal it. I do plan to replace the stupid phillips screws holding the lens with again stainless machine screws with the better Robertson heads.
OK, I have never taken my scare light apart (it's one of the few lights that worked from when I bought the TT) so didn't know the lens would come off without removing the chrome ring.

Quote:
BTW both lights come with the warning not to leave them on during the day as the heat of the LED and sunshine plus daytime temps will cause premature failure of the LED. So I guess they don`t last forever.
That's scary, but good to know. It's pretty bright anyways, so I really don't use it much.

Quote:
I had a conversation with Dan at LED`S4RVS yesterday. We talked about interior lights. he has a 42 LED pad for the ceiling fixtures which give off 1042 lumens (equivalent to 100 Watt incandescant) and only uses 133 milliamps of power comared to the original 10 watt bulb that uses 1.2 amps. That is amazing 10 times the light for about one tenth the power consumption. They are however 20 times the price of the original bulbs.
I was thinking of putting those strips of LEDs in the existing fixture, but I was hoping they would come down in price a bit more. I know the payback vs. cost won't happen in my lifetime, but when I bought Henri, I replaced ALL the bulbs in ALL the fixtures, and it cost a bundle. I want to get SOME use from them, I don't see anyone wanting to buy a bunch of used ones...
Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #266
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
12 volt generator?

Quote:
Lew the larger square door that you are talking about is the ONAN propane fired 12VDC generator. It was an option available during the 70's. Mine had never worked and when I finally tried to get it repaired the parts I needed were no longer available. I bought another one that is in good shape from a forum member. It fired right up and after replacing a couple of fuses it is nowa working generator. Like I said it is propane fired and generates 12VDC and 300 watts. It's basically a huge battery charger.
It runs on propane, how is it vented? I see a bottom vent, but what about risk of exhaust within the trailer?

Is it vented like a water heater would be? How long did it take to bring the battery up to proper charge? Would you run it constantly, or intermittently?

I'm thinking that would no longer be available as an option (?).
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #267
x

XXXX , XXXX
Anne it is vented just like a water heater, fresh air in from lower edge of door and exhaust out the top. It is in it`s own sealed box and the sealed from the trailer with interior walls. I have never actually used it yet. When I bought the trailer it wasn`t working and only just bought the replacement unit this fall. It has a control panel curbside up front by the gaucho. Electric start and a wind up 3 hr timer.
You`re right it is NLA. They only offered it for a few years in the 70`s. It`s basically a lawn mower engine with a DC generator on top.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #268
x

XXXX , XXXX
Power Cord & Water Hose Reels Door

]I got a few more small parts today. Fastenal sent the stainless steel corbin catches for the reels door. I installed the catches for both doors. The original door and the cover door I made to close in the rubber ports for the power cord and water hose. I added an extra catch to each door. The original door only had two catches and I felt that the third middle catch helped to close it in a little more.Click image for larger version

Name:	Reels  Door Installed 001.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	117706

Name:	Reels  Door Installed 002.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	117707

Name:	Reels  Door Installed 003.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	117708

Name:	Reels  Door Installed 004.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	117709
I also went by the local shop and picked up the fan guard for the A/C shroud. He hadn't finished the screen that I wanted to go on top of the guard so that will have to wait until after Xmas.Click image for larger version

Name:	Reels  Door Installed 005.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	117710
I also got my pipe bender in today so now I can start the propane line installation. I have been waiting to get this tool for several weeks now so I'm very happy it finally came in. It's like and early Xmas gift from me to me. Thats all I ever want is more tools.RRR.[ATTACH]117711[/ATTACH
I finally figured out how to post the pics and then keep typing. Too cool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reels  Door Installed 006.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	117711  
Old 12-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #269
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks for the inside and outside shots of the door. With those hatches it looks like it should close up pretty snugly.
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #270
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Thanks for the inside and outside shots of the door. With those hatches it looks like it should close up pretty snugly.
Daniel i figured that the inside shot would help you find where yours goes. The second shot is everything closed up and the third is with the second door open which is how it would sit if the hose and cord were deployed. The last shot is both doors open which is how you get access to the reels and roll out the cord and hose. Once you have enough cord and hose out they slip into the large rubber grommets and you close up the first door like in shot 3.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #271
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Chris, I've learned that even the best shop is always one tool short. Just can't ever have too many! Like that second door idea..
Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #272
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Wasagachris, I know what you mean about one tool missing. I misplaced a small part of my kregs jig system at a job site and another contractor threw it out, so now the whole rest of the set is useless until I can buy the replacement part. It's cost me a lot of time and I almost feel... unprofessional... without it.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #273
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
The garage modification made me LOL, thanks......
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
WC, we were looking at your exterior pics, and are wondering how you are providing for fresh air intake for your frig, since you sealed up your belly and don't have a louvered door on your frig hatch? We've been talking about a louvered door on that hatch instead of a hole in the trailer floor, and got curious about yours. Any enlightenment?

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #275
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Kay I actually kept the original layout. the belly has a cut out with screen over it. What I did was to insulate and seal around the opening.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #276
x

XXXX , XXXX
Last Post. Thanks to everyone who was helped me in the past. Goodbye to all the friends I have made here. I will miss you all. I made the mistake of posting my views on gun control in another thread and now some pro gun nuts have set their sights on me (hopefully not literally). I have made my profile as private as possible and have requested the administerer and the moderators to delete my posts, pictures and my account. I will really miss being a member here but feel it is no longer safe to stay.
Goodbye and safe journeys to everyone.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #277
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Too bad you let them get to you, Chris.

Email me so we can still stay in touch?
Old 12-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #278
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Likewise, I would also like to remain in touch. It's dumb that people feel the need to make threats just for disagreeing with them and holding your own opinions.

Airforums will miss your contribution.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #279
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Chris. I hope you will reconsider staying. I as well as many others enjoy your posts and knowledge you share here. You have my best wishes for a Happy New Year! MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Same here Chris. I was very lucky when I came here and you were here already doing what I was just dreaming about doing.. and I've been following in your footsteps. I wouldn't be near along where I am without you here.

If anyone made any threat against you they should be (have been) banned immediately and it should be them that is leaving and not you.
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 excella 500, 31', full monte, polish, remodel, shell off