View Poll Results: Guess the tongue weight
under 250 lbs 3 9.68%
250 to 275 lbs 1 3.23%
275 to 300 lbs 5 16.13%
300 to 325 lbs 9 29.03%
325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #631
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Riddle of the day!

So how exactly do you fit the entire interior of a 31ft Excella into a 26 ft Overlander?

Very carefully!

Today I needed to make room in my shop for a vintage tow vehicle that I recently purchased. I was at a loss as what to do with the contents of my 1973 Excella that is still an empty shell. I have been stalled on the polishing stage this summer as I can't get that dirty and still run my business. Now that I'm closing for the season I will be able to get back on the polishing wagon after I return from my multiple recovery missions.
Anyway back to the matter at hand. What do you do with half a buildings worth of parts? Well I have this 63 O'lander sitting here as a parts trailer. Perfect solution. I now have a rolling Airstream shed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fitting a 31 into a 26 001.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	142423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fitting a 31 into a 26 002.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	142424  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fitting a 31 into a 26 003.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	142425  
__________________

__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #632
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,031
Images: 9
Glad to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
So how exactly do you fit the entire interior of a 31ft Excella into a 26 ft Overlander?

Very carefully!

Today I needed to make room in my shop for a vintage tow vehicle that I recently purchased. I was at a loss as what to do with the contents of my 1973 Excella that is still an empty shell. I have been stalled on the polishing stage this summer as I can't get that dirty and still run my business. Now that I'm closing for the season I will be able to get back on the polishing wagon after I return from my multiple recovery missions.
Anyway back to the matter at hand. What do you do with half a buildings worth of parts? Well I have this 63 O'lander sitting here as a parts trailer. Perfect solution. I now have a rolling Airstream shed.
I can't say we have a rolling AS shed but we do have piles in two different garage stalls of the guts of the Sovereign. I am getting tired of trying to get around them and now we have added my 94 year old mother in law's excess stuff from her going into assisted living. It looks like we are either moving out or in depending upon the angle you look at it. Kind of crazy to have this much stuff. Some days I think it would be simpler to just lock the door and drive away....

I might tell my better half that we need to get another AS so we can use it for a rolling AS shed. Might be a lot cheaper than putting up a building was last year to hold our current AS. I'm still working on him to agree to another AS.....keep your fingers crossed that you get to see a new one when you stop in.

I'll make sure to bring that new old AS subject up when he is not holding any kind of a tool in his hands.
Sandy
__________________

__________________
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:58 AM   #633
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
I think there is still room to cook meth in there...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #634
Rivet Master
 
worldinchaos's Avatar
 
1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I think there is still room to cook meth in there...
Ah. I was wondering what kind of chemicals those drums in the pictures were filled with.
__________________
- Peter (and Marie)
TAC CA-15

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #635
2 Rivet Member
 
Baseman's Avatar
 
1974 25' Tradewind
Ponchatoula , Louisiana
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 76
Looks like the inside of my shop! We still have the entire interior of the Tradewind in there.
__________________
Baseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #636
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
New Use For Old Axles

Tonight the guy who welded my frame finally took the old axles home. He is going to use them to make a utility/car hauler trailer. When we finished making the new frame the old one was cut up and scraped. We kept a small portion of the frame holding the axle mounting plates and left the old axles attached.
This is how he transported them home.
Click image for larger version

Name:	New use for old axles 001.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	142898
Click image for larger version

Name:	New use for old axles 002.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	142899
Necessity is surely the mother of invention in this case.
__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #637
Rivet Master
 
moparjohn's Avatar
 
1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 619
Images: 2
I'm not an expert, but I belive those axles need a new Airstream! LOL! MPJ
__________________
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #638
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic
 
Darkspeed's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,169
Images: 6
Should have left the black tank in and toilet + seatbelt... Would have been refreshing
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #639
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
Are those Maxi's your running on?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 AM   #640
Flying Cloud STEVE
 
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carrollton , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
I'm a newbie and understand your problem. I don't think I caught what was the initial cause of this leak, some canister storing water cracked?? Any lessons learned that might help others prevent this same thing happening five or ten years down the line?
__________________
Flying-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #641
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Steve View Post
I'm a newbie and understand your problem. I don't think I caught what was the initial cause of this leak, some canister storing water cracked?? Any lessons learned that might help others prevent this same thing happening five or ten years down the line?
Steve there are numerous sources for leaks to occur in any Airtsream just like any other trailer. Basically any point that has a hole in the shell, windows, vents, attachments etc can cause leaks if not properly maintained.
The most prolific source of leaks is the rear bumper cover or storage door. The horizontal mounting plate that the door is attached to actually acts like a trough funnelling water back against the body(shell). If this area is not properly sealed water will penetrate the shell and be absorbed by the wood subfloor. If left unchecked long enough the insulation in the belly pan becomes saturated and retains all this moisture against the bottom of the sub floor causing the wood to rot. It will also cause premature rusting out of the frame crossmembers etc.
__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #642
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Polishing again

It's been an etremely long time since I've posted to this thread. as you may know I'm in the polishing stage of the renovation. I had to stop earlier this spring because I just couldn't get that dirty and still be available to fun my business. Now that I'm closed for the season and have finished all the work involved with shutting down I can finally start polishing again. OH JOY.
Yesterday and today I spent about 6 hrs a day and got about 10 lineal feet of the roadside shell polished with the first pass. The weather is supposed to be reasonable this weekend so I plan to pull the trailer out of it's hole in the wall (literally) and get the rear end cap and the back of the trailer polished.
With any luck I will have all of the first pass done on the roadside before then.
I didn't bother to take any pics as they seem boring to take.
__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #643
Airstream Fanatic
 
ND10CentCan's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,031
Images: 9
Back in the saddle again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
It's been an etremely long time since I've posted to this thread. as you may know I'm in the polishing stage of the renovation. I had to stop earlier this spring because I just couldn't get that dirty and still be available to fun my business. Now that I'm closed for the season and have finished all the work involved with shutting down I can finally start polishing again. OH JOY.
Yesterday and today I spent about 6 hrs a day and got about 10 lineal feet of the roadside shell polished with the first pass. The weather is supposed to be reasonable this weekend so I plan to pull the trailer out of it's hole in the wall (literally) and get the rear end cap and the back of the trailer polished.
With any luck I will have all of the first pass done on the roadside before then.
I didn't bother to take any pics as they seem boring to take.
Good to hear you are back in the polishing mode again. Any new purchases of AS or recovery missions in sight?
Sandy
__________________
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #644
x
 
XXXX , XXXX
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,601
Hi Sandy no new A/S purchases but I will be going down to Baltimore soon to get the liner once it is titled. I need to register it here but can't without a title.
I did have a message waiting for me when I got home. It was a guy with a 68 Overlander and somehow he heard that I buy Airstreams. I was tempted but he wants too much for it. I actually convinced him to keep it. He wanted to sell it and get a bigger white box unit.Besides I'm running out of space to park any more trailers. LOL
__________________

__________________
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1973 excella 500, 31', full monte, polish, remodel, shell off


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now the fun begins..... kingfisher24 On The Road... 10 01-30-2010 09:36 AM
And so it begins... cameront120 Full-Timing 11 07-09-2008 09:21 AM
1969 - And so it begins... badelson 1965-1969 Sovereign 21 11-16-2007 07:36 PM
And so it begins...... SwampBillies Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 54 09-16-2007 04:56 PM
And So It Begins! Ifihadtime Member Introductions 5 04-27-2007 10:47 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.