Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Guess the tongue weight
under 250 lbs 3 9.68%
250 to 275 lbs 1 3.23%
275 to 300 lbs 5 16.13%
300 to 325 lbs 9 29.03%
325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #681
x

XXXX , XXXX
Temporary Fix

Well I finally got the nod from the Insurance company that they are going to cover the loss. Now all we have to do is agree on a value. That's where they are having some difficulty.
That being said I am now able to do something about mitigating the damages. Last night myself and a friend spent a couple of hours with a port a power jack meant for body repairs. We were able to pop the shell back to almost the original height and shape. However all the ribs are mangled beyond use. Right now there are cedar poles cut from my bush holding the shell up. The only real weight to the shell is the AC unit. It was amazing to see and listen to the shell groan and pop back up into position.
Here are a few pics as it sits today.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excella Damages Temporary Fix 001.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	211505

Name:	Excella Damages Temporary Fix 002.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	211506

Name:	Excella Damages Temporary Fix 003.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	211507

Name:	Excella Damages Temporary Fix 004.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	211508

Name:	Excella Damages Temporary Fix 005.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	211509

Name:	Excella Damages Temporary Fix 006.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	211510
I will still need to tarp it to keep the elements out as a lot of the shell is torn and many of the seams are seperated and it is now full of torn out rivet holes. The door even closes now. I'm on the hunt for a donor shell now.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #682
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Awfully sorry sight, a winter kill Airstream. Whooda thunk it? Reminds me of the "cool a 55-gallon drum full of steam to watch it implode" trick. Here in MN last winters snow buildup was limited by wind scouring it down - and no wet snows in our little slice of Polar Vortex Heaven.

Can you tell where the weak straw that broke the Alumoose's back was?

I'd like to guess: the shell roof arch above the door opening flattened first, bowing out the sidewall door hinge rib(s) until distorted enough the doors' top slipped past the drip guard or striker/deadbolt popped free... I wonder if a couple of doomsday studs in the drip guard (to trap door as brace) could've stalled off total collapse? Okay, fine, maybe not, just thinking aloud, maybe it was the A/C cut-out sag happening simultaneously?

Anyhow, if I can help, ask away.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #683
x

XXXX , XXXX
Parting out

O.K. I have decided to part out my trailer. Everything must go, right down to the new frame/floor/axles combo. Windows, door, appliances, entire interior, brand new still in box 21ft awnings(2 patio & 1 window). Many many refurbished parts most not yet installed available. Armstrong A/C with brand new fiberglass shroud painted to match the trailer available.
You can view my ad here:
1973 Excella 500

call me with what you need,everything must go.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #684
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Chris, my profound sympathy. What a tragedy. Four years' work, gone in an instant.

I'm fairly new to the forum, and didn't know about your project until I saw your classified ad yesterday. I followed the link to your thread and read most of it. I assumed one reason you picked this particular trailer was the skin was in such good shape, at least the upper sections.

What will you do next? You impress me as the kind of guy who needs projects to preserve sanity. If you are, I not only sympathize, I empathize. I am the same kind of person. I need to have my hands and mind wrapped around something all the time, or I go bugs**t.

I was in the midst of a renovation project on a 28ft sportfishing boat when I met my wife, and the boat just wasn't going to work for the two of us, so I had to walk away from that project when I was only half done. After three years' work, i sold it for a third of what I had spent. We have since moved on to another boat, and plenty of projects await me there. I grieved over the previous boat, but time heals the wounds, and I have moved on. I am sure you can do the same.

BTW, when it came to purchasing our Airstream, I went for a newer one, not a project. You can understand why. I've reached the point in my life where I'm just not up to another total refurb project. I will stay as busy as a bird dog on smaller projects, but no more giant ones. Maybe you're not there yet. Maybe you are. Whatever comes next, enjoy it and move on.

Again, my condolences.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #685
x

XXXX , XXXX
Update. I received my insurance settlement a while ago and yesterday I put the trailer into indoor storage for now until I decide what to do with it. It wouldn't survive another winter outside in such a vulnerable condition.

I tried parting it out and all I got was ridiculous responses about large frieght items like awnings, the A/C or end cap segments. I answered with reasonable prices for the parts and then the people decided against the purchases due to the cost of shipping.Well they knew where I was before contacting me so what did they expect, shipping included at 20% of the cost of new parts.
One vulture offered me a ridiculous low price for the entire trailer. She was just trying to take advantage of my misfortune. I told her to go pound sand and I would rather scrap it than sell it to her.

Anyway my cedar tree prop job holding up the shell did fine while travelling up the highway. The storage unit is only a few miles from me.

This will be the end of this thread for now and maybe forever.

Tags
1973 excella 500, 31', full monte, polish, remodel, shell off