325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #491
x

XXXX , XXXX
Wing Window Part 2

This morning I polished the new window.
The first pic shows the new window after polishing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curbside Wing Window Replacement PT.2 001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	126376
This pic shows the two windows side by side. You can clearly see how much better looking the glass is without the fogging from the failed seal in the old one. the new one is also tinted glass. I will be tinting it with limo tint to match the rest of the windows.

Name:	Curbside Wing Window Replacement PT.2 002.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	126377
Next I went on to removing the old window. There are 39 rivets holding the window to the shell. Starting at the bottom by the center window and working towards the curbside and then up towards the roof and then back in towards the center window each rivet was center punched and then drilled out. Then moving to the inside and remove all the vulkem all around the wing window. Some was tough to remove but a lot of it came off easily. I did find the source of the leaks around this window. The top of the spline bar and the joint between the wing and center window was leaking. There is a sizeable gap between the curbside top edge of the center window and the shell and if the sealer fails this will leak for sure. The other leak was at the bracket for the rock guard lift arm. It is pop riveted on the the center window about halfway up.
Now I had to go back outside and gently pry the wing window loose from the shell. I started at the top edge between the center window and the wing window. The trick is to go slowly and only pry it out a bit. As it starts to come away from the shell a gap will open farther down on the window allowing you to pry towards the bottom of the center window. Once the entire edge between the center window and the wing window is loose you can grab it by hand and gently rotate away from the shell and the center window and the other edge of the wing window against the shell closer to the curbside will come free. Ther is two sided foam tape holding the window to the shell. Here you can see the remnants after the window is out.

Name:	Curbside Wing Window Replacement PT.2 003.jpg
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	126378 Click image for larger version

Name:	Curbside Wing Window Replacement PT.2 004.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	126379

Then the tape was gently scraped off and the area cleaned with mineral spirits in preparation for polishing. I was evident after the tape was removed that this window was already replaced at some time. There are extra rivet holes from the original window install. i'm not sure if this was done at the mothership or at a dealer because the second window was bucked on and they did not use olympic rivets. Here is what it looks like after polishing.

Name:	Curbside Wing Window Replacement PT.2 008.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	126383Click image for larger version

Name:	Curbside Wing Window Replacement PT.2 009.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	126386

I then decided to play with the old window and see if it is repairable. The straight edge of the window frame is removable. It is attached to the curved part of the frame with two screws top and two screws bottom. The bottom screws came right out but the top ones wouldn't budge. I ended chiseling off the heads and then the straight edge of the frame was free to remove. Once the straight edge was out you need to gently flex the edges of the curved section to start to free it up from the gasket and the window glass. Slowly working it apart the frame will free up from the glass and then you can edge the frame off the glass and gasket.
The two panes of glass have the edges wrapped in a very thick foil tape which is reinforced with fibers.The tape can be peeled off exposing the butyl tape between the two panes of glass. I then set out to seperate the two panes of glass. I used a box cutter to slice into the center of the butyl and started to work it out. After a small section was out I sprayed the cutter and the window edge including the butyl with a rust buster. This let the box cutter slide in easier and I moved on to cutting the butyl free from the edges of the glass. Inch by inch switching between each pane of glass the butyl slowly came out. Care must be taken not to exert any force on the glass or it will shatter. Here are the two panes after cleaning up all the butyl and the remnants of the foil tape.

Name:	Curbside Wing Window Replacement PT.2 005.jpg
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	126380
Here is the frame and the gasket after disassembly. I still need to clean up both the frame and the gasket. I did start the gasket cleaning with mineral spirits and I think it will be salvageable. The mineral spirits seemed to soften up the gasket and make it pliable again. Now the trick will be to find the right thickness of pre-shimmed butyl tape.

Name:	Curbside Wing Window Replacement PT.2 006.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	126381Click image for larger version

Name:	Curbside Wing Window Replacement PT.2 007.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	126382

Old 04-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #492
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
good stuff Chris. Want a job?

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #493
x

XXXX , XXXX
Thanks Frank coming from you that is high praise indeed. No thanks on the job though I have two already, the campground and my trailer. LOL.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #494
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You must also be busy now with the campground, Chris. Grass greening up, snow all gone now?

Blowing out the water feeds to each site?

I had a though just now. You could start a 1-month trailer refurb course at your camp; training people that want to do work on their own TTs. Month of August, 5 or 10 sites are reserved for people doing jobs, you are there to supervise them, and train.

The summer of '11 could be Year of the Plumbing...
Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #495
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I had a though just now. You could start a 1-month trailer refurb course at your camp; training people that want to do work on their own TTs. Month of August, 5 or 10 sites are reserved for people doing jobs, you are there to supervise them, and train.

The summer of '11 could be Year of the Plumbing...
Advertising that would violate the forum rules.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #496
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I'll be the first to sign up for the camp

Let me be the first in line for the camp WC is going to operate. Does it matter that we don't even have our frame ready yet? Hopefully you don't have any of those type of silly rules for your camp....
Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #497
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Let me be the first in line for the camp WC is going to operate. Does it matter that we don't even have our frame ready yet? Hopefully you don't have any of those type of silly rules for your camp....
Now that would be a sight to see, you getting the shell here without a frame. What are you going to do Sandy, strap it to your back and just hike it here. I would be willing to pay to see that happen.
You know of course that Aage was just joshing and I can't advertise any service I have for fear of the MOD squad shutting me down because I am not a commercial member. I casually mentioned about something once and got my wrists slapped immediately.
I also think if I ran a school I would learn more from the pupils than I could teach them.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #498
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Still going to sign up

I think I might want to have some video as well of the two of us (Fred and Wilma) moving our shell up to Canada to be the first people in line for your camp. Can you imagine that conversation at the border? "Do you have anything to declare? Yes, I want to declare that I am nuts...for thinking we can pull this off but WC is going to help us through this adventure." Do they give 59 year visas into Canada? That could be news but not the way I had hoped to ever make the news.....

I will try not to get you into trouble with the powers that be but at the rate you are moving and we are moving, we should be about 26 years behind you. I am glad you are making great progess...we are following every post. Thanks for all your efforts to help the rest of us understand what we will be doing or dreaming to do eventually.....
Sandy
Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #499
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Advertising that would violate the forum rules.
Not if you became a Commercial member.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #500
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Not if you became a Commercial member.
Aage you are dead wrong on that. No commercial member can actively promote his business in the open forums, can't quote prices or suggest links to their website. Nor is the PM system to be used in this way. You should know you are the one who slapped my wrist.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #501
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Aage you are dead wrong on that. No commercial member can actively promote his business in the open forums, can't quote prices or suggest links to their website. Nor is the PM system to be used in this way. You should know you are the one who slapped my wrist.
You're right on both counts. However, I didn't suggest you do any promotion in an open forum.

You would have to become a Commercial member, at which point you would be free to start your own thread in the commercial sub-forum, explaining and promoting your business, if you decided that was the way you wanted to go.

Could be fun.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #502
x

XXXX , XXXX
Flintstones Airstream

Thank you so much for that image Sandy. I was literally rolling on the floor LMAO over that picture. Of course the trailer would have granite counter tops and the color of the shell would be slate. It would also have size twelve brakes ala flintstone style and not 12 inch brakes. No rubber rod axles though just timber like their cars. We would then have debates here on the forums over which rock is better for the wheels like the tire debates here now. Goodyear Granites over Michelin Marbles.
You would have an elephant under the sink for a garbage disposal. Not exactly sure what would be in place of the black tank though, this issue was never touched on in the cartoon. Come to think of it nobody on TV ever goes to the washroom.
Something else you never see on TV. anytime a person hangs up the telephone they never say goodbye. Check it out and watch for it and you will see what I mean. It doesn't matter what kind of show nobody ever says goodbye. Kind of weird.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #503
x

XXXX , XXXX
Anyway back to reality. I neglected to mention why I was taking apart the old wing window and trying to fix it. It will be my test window. I need to fix both wing windows but was unwilling to try this rebuild without a suitable replacement on hand in case of an extreme failure like broken glass or a damaged frame.
I will install the new window and if the old one can be repaired I will attempt to repair the roadside one. I am however always on the lookout for a NOS roadside window like the curbside one I bought. Actually I bought two and sold one to another forum member. PS the old repaired one will be up for grabs if it works out. THIS IS A ONE TIME SALE AND NOT A COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE.
I didn't do anything on it today as I was busy restocking my store for opening next Friday. Next week will also be a little busy with grounds clean up and getting the water system up and running. I also have 7 suppliers coming next week to deliver goods to me for resale. It should be a busy week but I am still going to try to get some more polishing done. This weekend is my last one off until October and I hope to make the most of it with work on the trailer. Darn work gets in the way of the trailer reno. I will only be able to work on the trailer Mon to Thurs now.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #504
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
What kinds of stuff do you sell at the store there, Chris?

Tags
1973 excella 500, 31', full monte, polish, remodel, shell off