300 to 325 lbs 9 29.03%
325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #463
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Just for the record, I'm not volunteering..
You are a warrior, dude.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #464
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Hey, Chris. You do need to be careful when your body, or parts thereof, tell you they have reached their limit. Maybe you need to reduce your polishing time to one hour with a fifteen or twenty minute break, try holding the buffer in different positions, etc. I'm sure you've tried different methods.

You know, when you are up to your neck in 'gators, it's hard to remember you only set out to drain the swamp. I'm sure that's about how you feel right now....

In the end, though, your Airstream will be amazing and we'll all feel like we've watched an epic restoration. Keep up the good work.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #465
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Maybe these guys will be coming your way soon.
AIRMARK POLISHING TOURS

Please don't kill yourself WC.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #466
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Aage no need to apologize. I am concerned about it too. If I f**k up my hands it will be a big problem to run this place. I think I will start breaking after 1 hr.
Daniel yes I know but no one responded to my offer to polidh it for me. If i could find a place here that would do it I would gladly pay to have it done.
Chris, If you have a trade school in your area that teaches airplane sheet-metal courses, they may want to do it for instructional value, or worse case, for the novelty of it?? If that doesn't work, maybe you could advertise it as a course, teaching people how to polish Airstreams, promising huge financial rewards, and then charging THEM for the privelidge.

As Charlie Sheen says "Winning"
Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #467
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
try some DMSO

This will help.DMSO Liquid 99.9% Unfragranced -- 8 fl oz - Vitacost

Quote:
Hi Lew I will be posting more pics after the weekend is over.Right now I have to do about 12 sqft of roof and redo the door and front end cap plus go over the lower section below the blue trim to finish. With any luck I should have the curbside done this weekend. I'm hoping that the roadside goes a little faster as there are fewer obstructions like windows, compartments and doors. The lower section below the blue stripe is new skin so should polish up faster. if I total it up I think I will spend 200 hrs doing the curbside so maybe 150 hrs on the roadside. Then go over the whole thing twice more with the cyclo and Nuvite. I still need to do the entire rear end as I can't get at it now the way the trailer is in the shop, add more hours for the rear end and account for cyclo time and maybe total time will be along the lines of 600 hrs. I don't know why people say they love polishing, I hate it. My hands are starting to develop severe cramps from holding the polisher. After a couple of hours doing it my right hand starts to go numb from the vibrations and the left is developing a painful bruise in the palm and the middle finger feels like it is out of it's socket. Anyway back at it now, I do a couple of hours then break for 30 mins and start again.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #468
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Anchorage , Alaska
I thought it was going to be easy to polish my Airstream .

Quote:
Hi Lew I will be posting more pics after the weekend is over.Right now I have to do about 12 sqft of roof and redo the door and front end cap plus go over the lower section below the blue trim to finish. With any luck I should have the curbside done this weekend. I'm hoping that the roadside goes a little faster as there are fewer obstructions like windows, compartments and doors. The lower section below the blue stripe is new skin so should polish up faster. if I total it up I think I will spend 200 hrs doing the curbside so maybe 150 hrs on the roadside. Then go over the whole thing twice more with the cyclo and Nuvite. I still need to do the entire rear end as I can't get at it now the way the trailer is in the shop, add more hours for the rear end and account for cyclo time and maybe total time will be along the lines of 600 hrs. I don't know why people say they love polishing, I hate it. My hands are starting to develop severe cramps from holding the polisher. After a couple of hours doing it my right hand starts to go numb from the vibrations and the left is developing a painful bruise in the palm and the middle finger feels like it is out of it's socket. Anyway back at it now, I do a couple of hours then break for 30 mins and start again.

I will be able to see my Airstream in May, (that I just purchased this week ) My sister and I planned on Polishing it in a weekend , now I see how foolish I was ... Hmmm. So glad I found this posting I guess I have a lot to learn.

Happy to finally be part of the crowd
La.2Ak. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #469
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, you could clean it and say Walbernize it in a weekend, without killing yourselves, and it would look good!

Just not as good as spending several hundred hours would make it look...
Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #470
x

XXXX , XXXX
It's been a while since I posted any polishing pictures , so here they are.
The polishing job is all about the details.
Here are some shots of the battery box door. The eyebrow drip cap was very hard to do with the machine. I ended up using a super fine steel wool pad soaked in mineral spirits and then polished it by hand using Mother's polish for aluminium.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	125389Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery box 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	125390
I have been working on the trim again to get the details perfect. Here are the front pieces of the trim around the blue doubler that is only on excella's. The front piece is white metal not aluminium and is very coarse in comparison the the rest of the trim. It looked like s**t and wouldn't polish up. So it was sanded with several grades of emery cloth soaked in mineral spirits finishing up with 1000 grit. Then I hit it with the polisher and voila it now looks like the rest of the trim. It probably took 4 hrs to sand and polish it. The first pic shows the finished product and the second shows the one not done yet.

Name:	Curbside Front trim.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	125391Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadside Front trim.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	125392
Here is the wheelwell trim. It's the same white metal and needed sanding with emery to get it smooth and then polished. Again first pic is after and the second is not done yet.

Name:	Curbside Wheelwell Trim.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	125393Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadside Front Wheelwell Trim.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	125394
Now on to the final finish before cycloing. Here is the lower section of the door and the lower section forward of the door below the curbside living room window.

Name:	Entry Door Lower.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	125395Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing March 26 2011 009.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	125396
Here are shots of the curbside looking aft from the entry door and the roof looking forward from the axles. These areas are done and awaiting the cyclo once I get the rest of the trailer compounded.

Name:	Curbside Looking Aft Of Entry Door.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	125397Click image for larger version

Name:	Curbside Roof Looking Forward.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	125398
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #471
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
That looks amazing..
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #472
x

XXXX , XXXX
I had more pictures than one post would allow. So here are the rest.
First here is the center section of the front end cap after three passes with the black compound. First is with the denim wheel, second the sewn cotton wheel and lastly with the loose cotton wheel. There was quite a bit of corrosion on the top of this section so that's why I used all three wheels. I found that the sides of the trailer where the skin is good I just use the loose cotton wheel and get much better results.

Name:	Front End Cap Center Section.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	125399
The next two shots are of the front section below the front window. This is new aluminium to start off with and had no clearcoat on it. I did a couple of test patches to see what it would look like. The first shot is showing a patch done with the black compound and another section done with the brown compound. The brown has no abrasive so I wanted to see how it would look if I started with it. The black section is on the left and the brown is on the right. I placed the camera lens right in the middle of the two sections. The second pic shows the section done with the brown and the rest of the shhet not touched yet. Again the camera lens is in the middle of the split between the two sections.

Name:	Front Below Window Showing Black & Brown Compound.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	125400Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Below Window Showing Brown Compound & Unpolished New Panel.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	125401
Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #473
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire! That looks awesome! Those little pieces of pot metal trim are a royal pain. I tried to polish them up, but gave up and had them powder coated. They off gassed and look like crap, so I stripped them and I'll have to do what you did when I get that far. Nice shine!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #474
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
smoke, smoke, smoke that cig......nice pic. The AS is looking good.

Come and see me at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #475
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
What is off gassed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire! That looks awesome! Those little pieces of pot metal trim are a royal pain. I tried to polish them up, but gave up and had them powder coated. They off gassed and look like crap, so I stripped them and I'll have to do what you did when I get that far. Nice shine!
I have to ask what is out gassed? Something I need to know...cause I need to know what I don't understand. All of this information helps me to know what we may be facing. Thanks...
Sandy
Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #476
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
Good Job

I am kinda confused on your process, what did you find to be the best wheel and polishing compound? Was it determined by the condition of the aluminum and did the new aluminum polish the same as the galvalum? Thanks
Quote:
It's been a while since I posted any polishing pictures , so here they are.
The polishing job is all about the details.
Here are some shots of the battery box door. The eyebrow drip cap was very hard to do with the machine. I ended up using a super fine steel wool pad soaked in mineral spirits and then polished it by hand using Mother's polish for aluminium.
Attachment 125389Attachment 125390
I have been working on the trim again to get the details perfect. Here are the front pieces of the trim around the blue doubler that is only on excella's. The front piece is white metal not aluminium and is very coarse in comparison the the rest of the trim. It looked like s**t and wouldn't polish up. So it was sanded with several grades of emery cloth soaked in mineral spirits finishing up with 1000 grit. Then I hit it with the polisher and voila it now looks like the rest of the trim. It probably took 4 hrs to sand and polish it. The first pic shows the finished product and the second shows the one not done yet.
Attachment 125391Attachment 125392
Here is the wheelwell trim. It's the same white metal and needed sanding with emery to get it smooth and then polished. Again first pic is after and the second is not done yet.
Attachment 125393Attachment 125394
Now on to the final finish before cycloing. Here is the lower section of the door and the lower section forward of the door below the curbside living room window.
Attachment 125395Attachment 125396
Here are shots of the curbside looking aft from the entry door and the roof looking forward from the axles. These areas are done and awaiting the cyclo once I get the rest of the trailer compounded.
Attachment 125397Attachment 125398

Tags
1973 excella 500, 31', full monte, polish, remodel, shell off