Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Guess the tongue weight
under 250 lbs 3 9.68%
250 to 275 lbs 1 3.23%
275 to 300 lbs 5 16.13%
300 to 325 lbs 9 29.03%
325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 AM   #641
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Steve View Post
I'm a newbie and understand your problem. I don't think I caught what was the initial cause of this leak, some canister storing water cracked?? Any lessons learned that might help others prevent this same thing happening five or ten years down the line?
Steve there are numerous sources for leaks to occur in any Airtsream just like any other trailer. Basically any point that has a hole in the shell, windows, vents, attachments etc can cause leaks if not properly maintained.
The most prolific source of leaks is the rear bumper cover or storage door. The horizontal mounting plate that the door is attached to actually acts like a trough funnelling water back against the body(shell). If this area is not properly sealed water will penetrate the shell and be absorbed by the wood subfloor. If left unchecked long enough the insulation in the belly pan becomes saturated and retains all this moisture against the bottom of the sub floor causing the wood to rot. It will also cause premature rusting out of the frame crossmembers etc.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #642
x

XXXX , XXXX
Polishing again

It's been an etremely long time since I've posted to this thread. as you may know I'm in the polishing stage of the renovation. I had to stop earlier this spring because I just couldn't get that dirty and still be available to fun my business. Now that I'm closed for the season and have finished all the work involved with shutting down I can finally start polishing again. OH JOY.
Yesterday and today I spent about 6 hrs a day and got about 10 lineal feet of the roadside shell polished with the first pass. The weather is supposed to be reasonable this weekend so I plan to pull the trailer out of it's hole in the wall (literally) and get the rear end cap and the back of the trailer polished.
With any luck I will have all of the first pass done on the roadside before then.
I didn't bother to take any pics as they seem boring to take.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #643
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Back in the saddle again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
It's been an etremely long time since I've posted to this thread. as you may know I'm in the polishing stage of the renovation. I had to stop earlier this spring because I just couldn't get that dirty and still be available to fun my business. Now that I'm closed for the season and have finished all the work involved with shutting down I can finally start polishing again. OH JOY.
Yesterday and today I spent about 6 hrs a day and got about 10 lineal feet of the roadside shell polished with the first pass. The weather is supposed to be reasonable this weekend so I plan to pull the trailer out of it's hole in the wall (literally) and get the rear end cap and the back of the trailer polished.
With any luck I will have all of the first pass done on the roadside before then.
I didn't bother to take any pics as they seem boring to take.
Good to hear you are back in the polishing mode again. Any new purchases of AS or recovery missions in sight?
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #644
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Sandy no new A/S purchases but I will be going down to Baltimore soon to get the liner once it is titled. I need to register it here but can't without a title.
I did have a message waiting for me when I got home. It was a guy with a 68 Overlander and somehow he heard that I buy Airstreams. I was tempted but he wants too much for it. I actually convinced him to keep it. He wanted to sell it and get a bigger white box unit.Besides I'm running out of space to park any more trailers. LOL
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #645
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Ah...

Quote:
Hi Sandy no new A/S purchases but I will be going down to Baltimore soon to get the liner once it is titled. I need to register it here but can't without a title.
I did have a message waiting for me when I got home. It was a guy with a 68 Overlander and somehow he heard that I buy Airstreams. I was tempted but he wants too much for it. I actually convinced him to keep it. He wanted to sell it and get a bigger white box unit.Besides I'm running out of space to park any more trailers. LOL
I am anxious to see more of the Liner and what you are going to do with it. If you get a title, let me know how it is done. I am still waiting on our title for the Pacer. I called the PO again today and he assured me there was no problem with getting the title. "So why don't I have it then?" was my reply. I am losing my patience with this man and I am normally a very patient person.

If it doesn't come by the beginning of December I resort to Plan XYZ. I hope this doesn't turn into something not pleasant. I so don't like unpleasant things. Just do what you agreed to do and we can all go home happy. I hope your title is not such an issue and your plans proceed as hoped.

Are you going to do all of the work on the Liner or have Frank do a good share of it? It is going to be a great trailer and so much fun to use. Have you decided on your rotation schedule of the AS for which one you take out on which rallies? Is it a lottery system or just the luck of the draw?
Sandy
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #646
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Besides I'm running out of space to park any more trailers. LOL
My Stars... did I read that right? Is it possible... maybe you need a bigger campground then!!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #647
x

XXXX , XXXX
Sandy I'm using a private enterprise company to obtain a new title. They are the same company that titled the 61 Sov (the BB). For a very reasonable fee of $175 they do what they do and send you a new title in your name. It will be from another state and then you take that to your DMV and title it in your home state.

Frank will be doing the work on the liner and will be doing the rest as well. I am finding that I don't have the time when the weather is good and don't have good weather when I have the time to do any more trailers. As it is the 73 will end up taking more than 2 yrs to complete.
the 73 will be my main travelling trailer and will end up using that for my winters off. If I ever get to go to a rally it will depend on which trailer/tow vehicle is ready. The liner will be ready first but I'm still searching for an affordable TV for it. I have my mind set on a 1947 Lincoln Coupe convertible but they are very expensive so It will take some time before I can afford one.
The caddy is for the 55 Overlander and I'm also looking for a 1961 Lincoln 4 dr convertible to tow the BB.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #648
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
My Stars... did I read that right? Is it possible... maybe you need a bigger campground then!!
I do have my eyes on the adjoining 25 acres but the owner doesn't want to sell it to me yet. Then I would have enough space to buy up all the existing A/S. I'm thinking like one of each size for every year. I wonder how many trailers that would be?
Lets see 2012 -1936 = 76 yrs. A rough count would be well over 300 trailers.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #649
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Tow Vehicles

Quote:
I do have my eyes on the adjoining 25 acres but the owner doesn't want to sell it to me yet. Then I would have enough space to buy up all the existing A/S. I'm thinking like one of each size for every year. I wonder how many trailers that would be?
Lets see 2012 -1936 = 76 yrs. A rough count would be well over 300 trailers.
Don't forget space to park and work on all those Tow Vehicles......maybe you should try for 50 acres instead!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 11-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #650
x

XXXX , XXXX
Polishing my Backside

No not my bakside exactly but the trailer's.
The weather has been wonderful for the past two days so I took advantage of the warm & dry which is exceptional here at this time of year. I hooked up the trailer to my truck and pulled it forward so i could have access to the rear end cap.
I didn't get it all finished as it's supposed to start raining here soon and I didn't want to get caught short with the trailer partially out the door so I quit at 9:00PM.
I got the curbside upper sections done twice with the black bar, twice with the brown and once with the white bar. It's nearly perfect and once I hit it with the cyclo a couple of times with different grades of Nuvite it will be an absolute mirror shine.
The center section and the roadside sections got one pass with the black bar and the sewen cotton wheel.

Some of the curbside end cap was done last winter and it was amazing that the part I did yesterday looked better, so I redid the entire sections.
I'm beginning to feel like the guy who paints the Golden Gate Bridge. Once he gets done it's time to start over again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing Nov 26 2011 002.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	146028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing Nov 26 2011 003.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	146029  

Name:	Polishing Nov 26 2011 004.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	146030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing Nov 26 2011 005.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	146031  

Name:	Polishing Nov 26 2011 008.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	146032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing Nov 26 2011 009.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	146033  

Name:	Polishing Nov 26 2011 010.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	146034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing Nov 26 2011 011.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	146035  

Old 11-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #651
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Looks great...

Quote:
No not my bakside exactly but the trailer's.
The weather has been wonderful for the past two days so I took advantage of the warm & dry which is exceptional here at this time of year. I hooked up the trailer to my truck and pulled it forward so i could have access to the rear end cap.
I didn't get it all finished as it's supposed to start raining here soon and I didn't want to get caught short with the trailer partially out the door so I quit at 9:00PM.
I got the curbside upper sections done twice with the black bar, twice with the brown and once with the white bar. It's nearly perfect and once I hit it with the cyclo a couple of times with different grades of Nuvite it will be an absolute mirror shine.
The center section and the roadside sections got one pass with the black bar and the sewen cotton wheel.

Some of the curbside end cap was done last winter and it was amazing that the part I did yesterday looked better, so I redid the entire sections.
I'm beginning to feel like the guy who paints the Golden Gate Bridge. Once he gets done it's time to start over again.
Your work is great and it is good to see you working on the trailer again. Now that winter is here, you should be able to make great progress. Any new AS in your future?
Sandy
Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 AM   #652
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Wow Chris! That looks spectacular. Your end caps look awesome. Nice to see you back at work on your trailer.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #653
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
nice and shiny!

TAC OK-42

]
Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #654
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
Any new AS in your future?
Sandy
Hi Sandy no new A/S but a new TV today.
I saw it on E-pay yesterday, contacted the owner, had it inspected today by friends, worked out a deal and I fly out this Sunday to sunny FLA to drive it back.
It's a 1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car. It's in amazing shape cosmetically inside and out plus the mechanicals are also tip top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Driver's Side.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	146154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pasenger Side.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	146155  

Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #655
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
A 73 for your 73

Quote:
Hi Sandy no new A/S but a new TV today.
I saw it on E-pay yesterday, contacted the owner, had it inspected today by friends, worked out a deal and I fly out this Sunday to sunnt FLA to drive it back.
It's a 1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car. It's in amazing shape cosmetically inside and out plus the mechanicals are also tip top.
You are going to have quite the collection of TV and trailers to match. Congratulations on the latest acquisition and Florida sounds pretty nice this time of year. Hopefully this trip will have a lot fewer problems than your last one. Good luck!
Sandy
Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #656
x

XXXX , XXXX
The Queen Mary has docked at it's Northern Berth

So for any of you who have been following my adventures here is the latest installment.
I flew out Sunday night to Florida and landed at Orlando airport at 11:00PM. I was met by one of my customers who winters in Titusville.
It was absolutely miserable here when I left, raining heavily and very cold and gray. I walked out of the terminal in Florida and was met by a very warm breeze which was gently swaying the palm trees. What a change.

Anyway I spent the night with my friends and we set off the next day for Tampa on a mission to get a car part and visit some forum members. Well that didn't happen, the seller called and said the car was ready. So we diverted straight to the car.

A couple of hours later after all the paperwork was done and I had a Fl temp tag I was set to head north again. let me tell you I didn't really want to go. It was a beautiful there, 84F and sunny.
Here is the car at the sellers lot.

Name:	DSCF4014.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	146724
I had to set off right away for the place that I was getting the other car part from and skip visiting the forum members as it was getting late in the day. Once I got the part it was starting to get dark so i just set out for home.
I just kept driving to see how far I could get that day. I initially wanted to get at least halfway home (700 miles). I did manage to get that far after a layover in West Virginia due to fog in the mountains.
After a 2 hour nap it was light again and I could see to drive. This was 7:30 am Tuesday and my goal was to make it across the border before the 4:00PM deadline for clearing through US customs.
The car decided that it didn't want to leave the gold old USA so soon and started giving me trouble. The fuel system was causing the difficulty. I could accerate up to highway speed but if I had to climb a hill or press down on the pedal the car started chugging and would stall if I really pressed down on the pedal. Of course it waited until I was in the mountains to do this. I tried several places to have it look at to no avail.
Eventually my window of reaching the border in time closed and I called on some forum friends for assistance.
Once again Frank (62overlander) came to my aid. I gave him a call and I knew that I wasn't to far away from Acefly's place near Pittsburgh. Frank called Ace and he agreed to help me out. What should have been a 4 hr trip from West Va to PA took nearly 7.5 hrs but I did make it.
Ace & I (mostly Ace) changed out the fuel filter and the fule pump. I did help a little by holding the light and the new pump in place. Many many thanks to Ace for all his great help. He also offerd up his couch for the night and fed me supper. I wasn't the best company because i hadn't slept more than 2 hrs in the last 24. Sorry Ace for being such a bad guest. I'll try better next time.
8:00AM Wednesday morn I set out again and nearly made it to Erie PA before the car started again. It wasn't as bad and the hills wern't as steep so I did make it to outside Buffalo by noon. I stopped for lunch and one of my many fuel stops. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the fuel guage is not working so I had to guess how far i could go before running out of gas. The car has a 22 gal tank and at 10MPG I probably could safely go 200 miles between fill ups.I filled up every 150 miles to be safe.
After that the car finally decided that it's fate was to end up in the great white north and gave me no more resistance coming home.
The border was quiet and all went well with both US and Canadian customs. After parting with several more dollars with Canadian customs for Federal tax I was on my way her on home soil.
I arrived home safe and sound around 4:30PM yesterday.
Her she is in her new home.

Name:	Ins co car pics 002.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	146727

Name:	Ins co car pics 001.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	146728
Now she needs to get fixed and tinkered with to make it a reliable and safe TV. She will get a tune up and a new rad and whatever else this old girl needs to make her happy.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #657
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Nice Ride!

Chris, Nice find! I had a '64 Lincloln, and I bet it was lucky to get 8 mpg12KPIG (kilometers per imperial gallon).??. My uncle (below) lost a car like that in an "accident".

Seriously, nice find. I am looking forward to seeing your entire rig altogether at some future shindig.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thegodfatherbrando.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	146732  
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 AM   #658
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Your journey's certainly turn into adventures... oh, the tales you must have to tell.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #659
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
While with Chris I learned an important life lesson...

The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is the attitude.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #660
x

XXXX , XXXX
This latest trip certainly was an "adventure". I did have fun and enjoyed it for the most. The repair shops in WV weren't very helpful though. I suspect the indifference I got was due to the fact that I wasn't local.

I got a phone call last night form the seller. He was calling to make sure I got home safely. We talked in depth about the fuel issues and he pointed me in a direction to look at. Apparently there is a $10 part under the carb that is a common failure which will effect the operation in the way I described.
I ordered it today as well as a new rad and fuel tank plus a few other small items that are needed.
The rest of the basic repair parts like spark plugs, fan belts, rad hoses etc are readily available from any auto parts supplier so I will be getting them once the car is at the mechanics for a safety inspection.

Tags
1973 excella 500, 31', full monte, polish, remodel, shell off