325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #435
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1960 28' Ambassador
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Darn Chris, you may be in cold country but having the indoor shop is fabulous! Don't know that the constructor and I have it in us to polish that deeply. VERY COOL. I think we need to plan a TAC rally for summer 2012 at your place so we all see your work 1st hand.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #436
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Your body below the rim line is a good indication that the axles are shot. Several people are using Colin Hyde to get axles but I prefer INLAND RV.

Interesting...... actually "many" people are using me. I don't believe we've ever spoken, but you certainly have the right to set your preferences
In spite of that, I will give you a tip for your polishing job. I used to use mineral spirits as well to remove the residual polish, however I have found that flour on a cotton terri cloth towel is far quicker & does a much better job.
Keep shining!
Colin

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #437
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Ok, Chris, I know you are working hard to get ready for your maiden voyage, and I know it is going to be a while, but you might want to start thinking about a makeover.

Uniform of the day.. board shorts, t-shirt, flip flops.

Here are some ideas to consider..

The flip flops are Havaianas from Brazil. They look like the cheap shower shoes, but they are great flip flops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	havianas.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	124179   Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet_tee_red.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	124180  

Attached Images

Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #438
x

XXXX , XXXX
Colin whether is is several or many people using you is just splitting hairs. I don't think I said anything untowards regarding you or your business so I don't quite understand your taking offense to my comment. Yes I realize that your pricing is better for axles than INLAND's. The reason I said I prefer Andy is that I have done a lot of business with him and have always been treated well. That being said I'm sure that everyone who does business with you is also treated well. I do admire your work and think it is fantastic and have said so publicly here. Lately there has been a lot of Andy bashing here by others and I don't think is quite fair.
By the way we have spoken on the phone regarding a full shell off restoration for my trailer. My personal plans changed so I decided to keep doing it myself. Had things been different for me here I would still have been persuing a restoration using your firm. So in spite of your displeasure with my personal choice I do thank you for the polishing tip. I will try it for sure. I am always willing to listen to more experienced voices no matter where their allegiance lies. I hope no more harm has been caused and I never meant any in the first place.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #439
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel I can't see myself in flip flops or those funky shorts. I'm a jeans, Tee shirt and running shoes kind of guy.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #440
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
funky shorts... lol
Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #441
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
flip flops-YUCK! I don't like feet
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #442
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug View Post
I'd take you up on that ticket for the chance to see your rig and park. And to learn from one of the best, but, this weekend is my 50th and I'm told I have big plans, darn it!

Ed/Breadbug
Ed you know of course I'm joking about the airfare, just expressing my real feelings about polishing.
One of the best? Really not sure about that. I read threads from the best and learn from them. Most of what I'm doing is all trial and error and believe you me I've made lots of errors doing this trailer. Next time HA what a laugh, I would do lots of things differently.
So any way happy 50th. How does it feel to be half a century old.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #443
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
axles

so whats the deal with axles failing? I dont get it? Shouldnt they stay straight? Can you straighten them out? Can you weld a flat bar on top of them to reinforce? Its like the axles fail becasue they are too small for the rig. Colin did I hear you say that you would deliver axels and install for free if I went through you he he Just kidding. I think cali is closer to me
Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #444
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterman View Post
so whats the deal with axles failing? I dont get it? Shouldnt they stay straight? Can you straighten them out? Can you weld a flat bar on top of them to reinforce? Its like the axles fail becasue they are too small for the rig. Colin did I hear you say that you would deliver axels and install for free if I went through you he he Just kidding. I think cali is closer to me
filterman, here is an article about the axles under your airstream. I think it will answer all of your questions.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #445
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterman View Post
so whats the deal with axles failing? I dont get it? Shouldnt they stay straight? Can you straighten them out? Can you weld a flat bar on top of them to reinforce? Its like the axles fail becasue they are too small for the rig.
Lew's got it covered with the link he posted.
Colin did I hear you say that you would deliver axels and install for free if I went through you he he Just kidding. I think cali is closer to me
Please don't drag me into a war about axles and vendors. I don't need the grief. I have no problem with either supplier. Both companies have their merits and I have expressed my preference.Location of the vendor does not matter as the axles are shipped from Indiana.
There are other alternatives (dexter axles etc )as well that are even more reasonable in cost but require some frame modifications.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #446
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
Darn Chris, you may be in cold country but having the indoor shop is fabulous! Don't know that the constructor and I have it in us to polish that deeply. VERY COOL. I think we need to plan a TAC rally for summer 2012 at your place so we all see your work 1st hand.
Ann I'm not sure I will be done polishing by the summer of 2012 let alone finish the entire trailer by then. Although if y'all came here I can stael some ideas from your designs.
If I can get it ready I would love to go to the TAC rally at WDW/Fort Wilderness in Nov 2012. That's a better idea than you coming up here to the great white north.
If you have read the entire thread you will know what I had to do in order to get the trailer into the shop. It's shoe-horned in and I had to cut open the back wall and notch the door to make it fit.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #447
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Chris, you have to share with us those things you would do different. We all learn so much by what has been done and would not be repeated.

Ed/Breadbug
Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #448
x

XXXX , XXXX
Ed it's mostly the order of doing things and the realization of how long it actually takes to get the job done.
For instance I was trying to get the trailer sealed up and back outside for the winter, well I didn't get that done in time so plan B went into effect. I had to alter the building to get the trailer all the way inside. Now that I'm polishing all the sealer I diligently spent hours and hours carefully applying has to come off. If not the polishing wheel drags it out all over the skin and makes a real mess.
I would pull the shell using Colin Hydes method and not jack it up like I did.
I would build a device like he has to flip the frame upside down. That makes the insulation and belly installation so much easier. It was back breaking work drilling all the holes for the belly rivets while lying on the floor not to mention fighting with gravity while installing a 6 ft wide by 12 ft long piece of belly skin and not get it scratched up in the process.
I have learned so much about methods, tools, equipment and materials that I would now use or not use. Like I said trial and error.

Tags
1973 excella 500, 31', full monte, polish, remodel, shell off