300 to 325 lbs 9 29.03%
325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wasagachris, you're braver than we are. We did a shell on floor replacement - 31 feet seemed too big to do a shell off on for us! Sorry you have so much repair/replacement on your frame. We were lucky - just outriggers to repair and Chris was able to weld them.
Ken, you can get lots of stuff at Out-of-Doors Mart, Inland RV, and Vintage Trailer to repair, replace, etc. Andy at Inland always has good advice. Redoing the window seals makes a huge difference. I agree with Chris that you should take lots and lots of pictures as you take everything apart. We're definitely referring to ours now as we get ready to put the inner skins back on!

Kay

Old 08-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #30
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Kay Nice to type to you. I'm sorry i have to do the full monte as well. It certainly didn't start out that way. Once i opened the belly and found what was left of my frame I had no choice. Ken wants to try a shell on floor replacement. Any advice on how to change center flooring on the shell? BTW your A/S looks beautiful. I'm refering to your thread and many others as what to do next. I'm under a tight timetable. I need the shell back on in 1 month. I need the building holding my interior for a camper's early Halloween dance and two weeks later for a Thanksgiving dinner. Talk about stress.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We actually planned the full refurb - that's why we bought the trailer we did. Gluttons for punishment, I guess. Keeps us out of trouble (and money!) We did a shell on floor replacement - it's in our thread: Little Girl Refurb (sorry, I'm not savvy enough to actually do the link yet). It wasn't as difficult as we feared, but took 2 of us and some creative tools made by Chris to keep the walls together - you definitely DON'T want the C-channel to fall off the outriggers while you're doing it. It's not fun to get them back on - happened once. We left the center floor panel between the wheel wells only lightly held down so we could get the covers back on after we repaired them. That was today, not easy to get the floor back down, but we managed. Had to cut the one side "ear" off at the back of the wheel well in order to slide the floor under the C channel back there again. Chris will post pictures of it later. NOW, we can insulate and start putting the inner skins back on! I itch already! Oh well. I'll be keeping track of your thread - it's always fun to watch what others are doing and get ideas.

Kay
Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #32
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kay if you right click on the thread title and left click on copy shortcut from the drop down menu and then you right click where you want it to go and left click on paste from the drop down menu you can do the link thing.
I am fearing the shell back on part. What if I do not have my new floor in exactly the right spot. What if my new frame is not exactly the same. You will never know for sure until both halves come back together.
I did not do much this weekend. It was very busy in the campground. All I managed to do was replace the gaskets in 4 windows and 2 compartment doors. The install took only a few minutes but removal of the old ones and cleaning up the old glue took forever. Window frame gaskets fit great but compartment doors not so good. They will need tweaking or maybe doubling up by adding a second gasket to the door frame in addition to the doors.
Still waiting for the frame parts from the mothership. They are getting closer. They are now in Canada and only a couple of hundred miles away. Got to love tracking numbers. They can almost tell you what the truck driver ate for lunch.LOL. The parts will be here mid week and the welding begins. I hope to have most of the frame ready by Friday. I need to source out locally a few pieces and find a sandblaster to do the A frame. Final completion of welding and POR-15 will ahveto wait until after Labor Day. I am expecting about 500 guests for the weekend. Owning a campground is great, you can invite 500 people to your house for the weekend to party and charge them to be here.LOL. You also get to sell them the food and mix.LOL.
Stay tuned for further updates. Same Bat Time Same Bat Channel
Old 08-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Window frame gaskets fit great but compartment doors not so good. They will need tweaking or maybe doubling up by adding a second gasket to the door frame in addition to the doors.
Hey Wagasa Chris,

I needed to adjust the latches on all of the compartment doors to get them to seal properly. Really, just bending them a bit so they pull the door closed tighter. That was part of my flipping the doors upside down project last year.

As another option, instead of doubling up the gaskets, I'd try some closed-cell flat weather-stripping first. That won't be as bulky as two layers of the "D" gasket. I've used the flat closed-cell stuff on several cars and truck over the years, including the rear hatch on our current TV (2001 Excursion). The stuff I used on the truck is 1/8" thick by 1/2" wide, and I picked it up at a local auto parts store. I need to add a strip of this stuff to the front of the door frame on our trailer. When we do a hard direct spray into the front of the door (mimicking road spray we think) we do get a bit of seepage.

Minno Chris

ps - To answer for Kay: That's just too many clicks!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #34
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi M.C. never mind M.C. sounds cool but that makes me W.C. which stands for water closet or toilet so Minno Chris thanks for the tip. I did plan on adjusting the door latches. Even if I hold the door shut tight the D gasket just doesn't cover enough area to make a good seal. I need more gasket material there to make a good seal. On a couple of my windows they are not completely tight at the top edge along the hinge. Can the hinge be bent to keep the upper egde of the window closer to the frame when closed?
After waiting weeks the parts arrived this morning from the mothership. I ordered 6 crossmembers @61 1/8"x5" and 4 crossmembers 61 1/8"x4 1/2" as well as 1 crossmember 58"x5" and 1 crossmember 58"x4 1/2". Also ordered 3 roadside outriggers and 5 curbside outriggers and 4 solid outriggers. What I received is 4 crossmembers 57"x5" and no solid outriggers. I then made arrangements to have them by my camper locally and I will have them on Friday. I just can't wait for A/S to get it right. Im 49 yrs old now and only have so long to use the trailer!
The Sanitred paint for the floor also arrived this morning. I got the primer coat on the top of the floor. Primer coat for underside goes on tomorrow. Then top coat of liquid rubber base is applied both sides and after final install all seams and screw/bolt holes are sealed with thicker coat of liquid rubber base. Once done the floor will be totally waterproof. I could submerge trailer and floor will not get wet.
Here is the link to the product. https://www.sanitred.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor painting 001.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	109934  
Old 09-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You could be D.C. or O.C. I suppose, but they have there own meanings, especially to the electrical folks and medical folks out there.

Man, I'd hesitate to try and bend the window hinges. They seem pretty fragile to me, but maybe others will have a difference of opinion. Part of the reason for my replacing the hatch hinges was because two of the original ones were bent up fairly badly, and the one of them was cracked about 2 inches along the "J" from one end. When I tried to straighten them, they both ended up being cracked.

Your floor looks fantastic! How expensive is the Sanitred? I've never heard of it before.

49 isn't old - you're just a kid. Well, younger than us anyway (53).

Chris
Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #36
x

XXXX , XXXX
hey MC sanitred is very expensive 2 gals primer, 2 gals liquid rubber base, 2 quarts LRB, 1 quart activator and 1 8oz vial accelerator $472.70 + $77.29 shipping + $27.46 ? =$577.46 USD. Thats about 1 million CAD.lol. Any suggestion how to get top of window tight to frame?
PS thats my worker dave in the pics. He does maintenance and cleaning in the park and now is in training on a/s reno's
Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey DOC,

How are you or Dave at bucking rivets? Out of Doors Mart sells replacement window hinges: Window Hinge 1969 to 95 195297-05 [195297-05] - $2.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Looks like they sell it by the foot. If it were my AS, I'd measure the worst window and order one hinge. Then when it arrived, I could see if the hinge on the window was bent or if the hinge side attached to the trailer is the offending piece.

I must be in the wrong industry. You work 2 or 3 months a year (camping season is pretty short in Canada), have hundreds of friends over for parties (and they pay you), and you can afford to spend some 5 million CAD refurbishing an AS, and that's just the frame and floor!

Some day we have got to get together. Probably at your place when it's warm!

MC
Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #38
x

XXXX , XXXX
Minno I haven't learned how to buck rivet yet, but have to learn if the shell is ever going to be back on the frame/floor again. On the rear window dave tried to re-install by himself and popped three of the rivets. Inland Andy sent me some to fix. He may have bent the other hinges trying the same thing.
Actually I'm open for 6 months and it takes a month in the spring and a month in the fall to open and close. I'm on duty for about 3500 hrs in 8 months. Most people only work 2000 hrs a year. But fortunately my commute is 10 feet from the house to the store.LMAO. 5 million CAd = $20 USD HA HA. I figure while I have it apart do it right. I don,t want to do this again EVER!!!!
I saw another forum member using this paint and thought it would be great. POR-15 the frame & it never rusts again so why not rot proof the floor. I was totally shocked at the price but after applying it I see why it costs so much. It is used to waterproof plywood for aquariums. If I totally seal up the belly pan I can throw an outboard motor on the bumper and use the a/s as a house boat.LMAO. I can't wait to see what the final top coat is like.
I got busy this evening and flipped over the sheets and did the bottom. Tomorrow final top coat of Liquid Rubber Base. I'll post pics when done and inform you of finish quality. It should be great. Later MC
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #39
x

XXXX , XXXX
The Frame Work Begins

Hurrah My friend the welder and I blocked the frame last night. Tonight we started to tack in the crossmembers. I decided not to wait for my other friend to redo the parts that were too short. We boxed in the frame and used the crossmembers from A/S. 8 out of 12 are tacked in now. We are building the frame upside down on the old one to make sure everything is exactly the same. Well not exactly the same, this frame will be straight and square not like the factory one. Cut off the A frame and it goes out to be sandblasted in the morning. I will pick up the rest of the parts tomorrow and it should be all tacked in by the evening. Weather permitting of course. By the way you can see the power of the Super duty in the last 3 pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Frame Begins 001.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	110216   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Frame Begins 002.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	110217  

Name:	New Frame Begins 003.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	110218   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Power of Super Duty.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	110219  

Name:	The power of Super Duty 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	110220   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Tow Vehicle.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	110221  

Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Looks great WC!

MC
Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #41
x

XXXX , XXXX
Thanks MC
I'm kind of bummed out tonight. I drove 150 miles round trip today to pick up the rest of the frame parts I needed and we got rained out tonight so nothing else is done. Hope for better weather tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #42
x

XXXX , XXXX
The Fun Continues

The rain held off long enough last night to get some more work done. We worked about 3 hrs last night on and off in between spurts of light rain. Got all the crossmembers , axle plates, tank mounts and skid plates tacked in. If the weather holds off tonight everything should be welded in place. We'll then flip the frame over and mount all the outriggers and the tongue. It will the get lifted off the old frame and have the new axles attached and it will be ready for painting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Frame Axle Mounting Plate.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	110434   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Frame Fresh Water Tank Location.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	566.2 KB
ID:	110435  

Name:	New Frame Gray Water Tank Location.jpg