Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1973-1974 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Guess the tongue weight
under 250 lbs 3 9.68%
250 to 275 lbs 1 3.23%
275 to 300 lbs 5 16.13%
300 to 325 lbs 9 29.03%
325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #421
x

XXXX , XXXX
Polishing Update

I spent this weekend doing the roof curbside from the rear end cap all the way forward to the A/C which is halfway. I also managed to get the upper side from the bathroom window to the kitchen window.
The roof needed four passes, denim with black, sewn cotton with black, loose cotton with black and loose cotton with brown compound.The original clearcoat had failed on the roof and there was a fair amount of corrosion up there.
The sides I am doing need only three passes, sewn w/black,loose w/black and loose w/brown.
In between each pass I wash down the area with mineral solvents and buff it dry with micro fiber cloths. UWE gave me the tip about the washing down. It really does help.
The first two shots are the roof, second shows the side between bath and kitchen windows and the fourth is just for fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing March 7th 2011 004.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	123978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing March 7th 2011 005.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	123979  

Name:	Polishing March 7th 2011 006.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	123980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polishing March 8th 2011 001.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	123981  

wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #422
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Wow! Chris. I can't wait to get to the point to be able to work so hard to achieve such a satisfying sheen!! Even the helicopter pilots will squint :-)

Ed/Breadbug
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #423
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
I spent this weekend doing the roof curbside from the rear end cap all the way forward to the A/C which is halfway. I also managed to get the upper side from the bathroom window to the kitchen window.
The roof needed four passes, denim with black, sewn cotton with black, loose cotton with black and loose cotton with brown compound.The original clearcoat had failed on the roof and there was a fair amount of corrosion up there.
The sides I am doing need only three passes, sewn w/black,loose w/black and loose w/brown.
In between each pass I wash down the area with mineral solvents and buff it dry with micro fiber cloths. UWE gave me the tip about the washing down. It really does help.
The first two shots are the roof, second shows the side between bath and kitchen windows and the fourth is just for fun.
Dammmmmm....WASSSS! Nice work my friend from the great white north.

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #424
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
BellISSimo, Chris! You put us to shame with that shine.

Guess I better paint my wagon.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #425
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
You may be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, Chris. But then again, it could just be a reflection....seriously, really nice work.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #426
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Chris,
Looks great! Imagine what it will look like when you get it out in the sunshine.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #427
Stubborn but learning

1973 31' Excella 500
washougal , Washington
Frame

Damn I gotta do what you just did. Man six months huh. I thought the vv snap ring would free up the inner plexi to access the inner window, am I wrong?Well I am right behind you then I might take a little longer to get mine done, single parent with four yr old. I found a 34ft Airstream frrame complete from a new AS rollover. I could use this frame right? the extra three feet I would make into a platform to hold a 6k gene and grill. IF so I think I will be in good shape as I can pick the frame up next weekend. i have to do the floor so I will have to jack the body anyway. What you think?
Quote:
Filterman If I ever get finished and get out on the maiden voyage I'll swing by Washington and drop in.
Iread about your Vv resealing. If you are going to pull the window apart and replace the tint the glass outer pane will have to come out so you will need to remove the sealer you just put on.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if the shell is bulging that's usually an indication of frame failure. It might just be an outrigger rusted out and seperated from the main frame rail but more than likely the main rail is rusted through. My frame was unsaveable and I didn't have any shell buckle. Sorry.
I bought a used Onan genny from another member here and I still have the old one. It needs a flywheel and a carb to get it running. I couldn't find parts and this one came up for sale so I couldn't turn it down. If your interested I can bring the old you when I travel and you can have it.
Your body below the rim line is a good indication that the axles are shot. Several people are using Colin Hyde to get axles but I prefer INLAND RV.
The VV's are usually the source of the leaks and the floor rot and also the rear bumper cover leaks back into the shell and rots the floor.
My frame was rusted out at the steps curbside,fresh water tank roadside and at the rear between the black tank and the rear bumper.
Butyl does not get runny in high heat, it does get softer and more elastic.
filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 AM   #428
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
The polishing looks to be going very well WC! Yes I can read this. Nice!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #429
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Read what? The sign he's holding? I tried, but it's in Canadian...

Trailer looks great!
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #430
x

XXXX , XXXX
Ed, Rex, Aage, Lew, Tim, Lance & MC. I'm paying airfare for anyone willing to come and take over this polishing. Dead silence, I thought so. Well I guess I'm stuck doing it alone. LOL.
Filterman actually it's closer to nine months at it now. Ther are two types of VV's if you have the snap ring the inner pane should be plexi but it is still bonded to the glass outer. In order to properly clean and prep the glass for tinting it really needs to come out. Once retinted the inner plexi is resealed to the glass and reinstalled as a one piece thermal pane assembly. You can do away with the plexi altogether and just have the glass. CAN AM RV here in Ontario sells a gasket to do this. The 34ft frame will be wider and all the things like axles, steps, crossmembers for floor seams will be in the wrong spot. Hanging a genny of the rear end is asking for trouble due to the extra weight flexing the frame too much and it will also take too much weight off the tongue and make it very unstable to tow.

MC I can make it so that even those from MN can read it
CAN (Like what beer comes in) U (as in yourself not a female sheep) READ ( whatcha do wit words in dem dare book things)
THIS (shude b spelt dis) ROTFLMAO. Joking of course.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #431
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Ed, Rex, Aage, Lew, Tim, Lance & MC. I'm paying airfare for anyone willing to come and take over this polishing. Dead silence, I thought so.
Uh, well, I'm in Florida right now, so who is going to bring the van home, Chris? :
Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #432
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
If we all came up to help you, there wouldn't be anybody here to encourage you to keep going....
Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #433
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
MC I can make it so that even those from MN can read it
CAN (Like what beer comes in) U (as in yourself not a female sheep) READ ( whatcha do wit words in dem dare book things)
THIS (shude b spelt dis) ROTFLMAO. Joking of course.
Thanks! I think what threw me was the lack of "eh?" at the end...
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #434
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
I'd take you up on that ticket for the chance to see your rig and park. And to learn from one of the best, but, this weekend is my 50th and I'm told I have big plans, darn it!

Ed/Breadbug
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #435
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Darn Chris, you may be in cold country but having the indoor shop is fabulous! Don't know that the constructor and I have it in us to polish that deeply. VERY COOL. I think we need to plan a TAC rally for summer 2012 at your place so we all see your work 1st hand.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #436
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Your body below the rim line is a good indication that the axles are shot. Several people are using Colin Hyde to get axles but I prefer INLAND RV.

Interesting...... actually "many" people are using me. I don't believe we've ever spoken, but you certainly have the right to set your preferences
In spite of that, I will give you a tip for your polishing job. I used to use mineral spirits as well to remove the residual polish, however I have found that flour on a cotton terri cloth towel is far quicker & does a much better job.
Keep shining!
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #437
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Ok, Chris, I know you are working hard to get ready for your maiden voyage, and I know it is going to be a while, but you might want to start thinking about a makeover.

Uniform of the day.. board shorts, t-shirt, flip flops.

Here are some ideas to consider..

The flip flops are Havaianas from Brazil. They look like the cheap shower shoes, but they are great flip flops.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	havianas.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	124179   Click image for larger version

Name:	bullet_tee_red.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	124180  

Attached Images

Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #438
x

XXXX , XXXX
Colin whether is is several or many people using you is just splitting hairs. I don't think I said anything untowards regarding you or your business so I don't quite understand your taking offense to my comment. Yes I realize that your pricing is better for axles than INLAND's. The reason I said I prefer Andy is that I have done a lot of business with him and have always been treated well. That being said I'm sure that everyone who does business with you is also treated well. I do admire your work and think it is fantastic and have said so publicly here. Lately there has been a lot of Andy bashing here by others and I don't think is quite fair.
By the way we have spoken on the phone regarding a full shell off restoration for my trailer. My personal plans changed so I decided to keep doing it myself. Had things been different for me here I would still have been persuing a restoration using your firm. So in spite of your displeasure with my personal choice I do thank you for the polishing tip. I will try it for sure. I am always willing to listen to more experienced voices no matter where their allegiance lies. I hope no more harm has been caused and I never meant any in the first place.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #439
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel I can't see myself in flip flops or those funky shorts. I'm a jeans, Tee shirt and running shoes kind of guy.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #440
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
funky shorts... lol

Tags
1973 excella 500, 31', full monte, polish, remodel, shell off