275 to 300 lbs 5 16.13%
300 to 325 lbs 9 29.03%
325 to 350lbs 2 6.45%
Over 350 lbs 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #197
x

XXXX , XXXX
MC I'd have to steal some more letters from a Hairstream to make that work.
I'll let you know how it works out on the LED's. I a little wary too because I don't want to drill into the circuit board in the lamp.
During clean up today we found a few wires that the mice had chewed. One was 8 Guage 12VDC+ to the generator. I'm now going to check all the wires for damage. I don'y want mine to burn up like my other camper's trailer did.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #198
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Chris, when I stripped my AS, there were about five gobs of silicone in a row in the roof, street side and behind the air conditioner. Looking at them I wondered if someone had filled some holes. Maybe those are similar to the rivet holes you found?

Do the vista view shades slide in a track of some kind? To me those things seem like the cheapest, flimsiest thing I've found in the AS.

I was thinking of using one section of my aluminum extension ladder to span the roof. I was going to cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to lay between the rails on the rungs. Much lighter than a pair of 2X10's. Thought it might also get me down closer to the roof.

Anyone ever tried one of those drywall lifts for putting the panels back in place? Around here they rent for about $30 a day.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #199
x

XXXX , XXXX
Lew the problem rivets are all along the lengthwise seam between the roof skin and the side skin. The problems exist on both road and curb side. The roof skin overlaps the side skins and it looks like both skins are prepunched and the alignment was a little off for some holes. In about 20 spots the rivet is in both holes but the roof skin hole is ever so slightly out of alignment leaving a 1/8" gap in the roof skin.
Yes the vista view shades are in a track or framework. It is riveted to the roof skin with three rivets and the side skin with another three rivets. You can see them from outside just below and above each vista view. The double set in the living room roadside are also pop riveted to a brace right above the vista view. This brace is riveted on to the shell with the top edge of the vista view window.I have attached a pic of the shade frame. The white part is all that shows. The rest is covered by the panels. If you look closely at each side you can see a green piece of aluminium strip running vertically. They act as guides for the shade and are riveted to the plastic frame. If they come loose and they will the shade will not track properly.
I don't have a ladder long enough to span the trailer ,nor do I have ladders tall enough to clear the roof line so thats why I'm renting the staging and using the 2x10's. When I'm done I intend to use the 2x4's to make the sawhorses used for the shell taller and use the 2x10's to hold the cap for my truck. I can unclamp the cap, put the sawhorses(4 of them) around the outside of the truck. Lift the cap up slightly and slide the 2x10's between the cap and truck and rest them on the sawhorses and just drive the truck out from under the cap. I have a fifth wheel hitch in the bed so to use it the cap must come off. I've done a couple of times already and the cap is very heavy to lift off plus I need two picnic tables for the cap to sit on. This set up will make it a lot easier.
How long a sheet can you put on the drywall lift? Some of the interior panels are 20 ft long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vistaview Shade Framework 001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	115644  
Old 11-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Thanks for the information on the vista view shades. I'm going to have to take a close look at mine because something doesn't look right. I know I'm missing the white plastic trim around the edges of the opening. Not sure what else may be missing.

I was at Menard's tonight and looked at an aluminum plank for spanning the AS roof, 13 foot long for $199. That would be ultra nice!!

Here's a link to the drywall lift from Northern Tool. I've used a rented one for 5/8" 4x12 foot sheets for ceilings. It says up to 16 foot sheets of drywall which I think is probably limited more by weight than length. Northern Industrial Drywall and Panel Hoist — 150-Lb. Capacity, 11ft. Lift | Material Lifts | Northern Tool + Equipment

Interesting illustration of the lift, as most people would rock the ceiling before the walls....
Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #201
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Here is a factoid to add to the general knowledge of the forum: Beware of a new drywall lift - there are latch binding spots that need to be metal to metal that the powder coat paint simply acts to lubricate & can/will allow it to plummet to its lowest rest position. Find a well used rental and hustle through the job, but I don't think you'll need that, just grab a helper(s) and cleco it up...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #202
x

XXXX , XXXX
Thanks Len for that info. I wasn't intending on using a drywall lift but that info will save someone from damaging their trailer.
Today I picked up the staging and assembled it. The 12' 2x10's fit perfectly across the platform and when lying face down on them the roof of the trailer is at a comfortable distance away to be able to work on it.
I now can start cleaning up the old vulkem and several other layers of whatever other type of sealer applied to the roof vents. I have new covers for the vents and a new shroud for the A/C.
I will be picking up the A/C shroud and the new low profile stove vent cover from the local Ford dealer on Tuesday. I had them paint them in a color as close to aluminium as they could get. They are painting them gratis(it helps that I bought a $70K truck from them last year and have sent them 2 large body jobs when Mom smashed the car twice last year(she is 81 you know and was forced to start driving again last year after a 25 yr absense). My insurance wasn't to happy and reflected their displeasure with this years premiums.
The stink pipe covers are all off and polished waiting for this weekend when I can polish the shell around several areas before reinstall of a lot of items.
I also disaaembled the vista view shade pans today. The pans need a lot of repairs to the plastic and then painting before reinstall on the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer scaffolding for roof access 001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	115793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer scaffolding for roof access 002.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	115794  

Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
That is one sweet looking ride!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #204
x

XXXX , XXXX
Thanks Daniel I assume your'e talking about the A/S and not my old TV the 86 GMC camper van that I built 12yrs ago.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #205
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Chris - just a thought here. When I re-installed the vista view shade pans, I doubled the number of rivets that held them in place. I didn't have rivet issues on the trailer, but the pans had all popped free of 90% of the rivets they used. 3 rivets across the top and 3 across the middle just didn't seem like enough. Interesting that you have aluminum channels for the shade runners. My pans are 100% plastic, including the runners. All of mine were in decent shape, but one blind had gone missing over the years.

Kay's mom noticed the same thing on her car insurance. Once she turned 80 some 8 years ago, her rates went up. And she's accident free.

Chris
Old 11-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #206
x

XXXX , XXXX
Good Morning MC I was thinking the same thing about more rivets. The aluminium strips that run vertically along the edges of the pans were glued and riveted and most of those rivets had broken free of the pans. Interesting that they thought they could glue aluminium to plastic. The plastic has just melted wher they applied the glue and did not stick to the aluminium at all.The pans are all cracked at the rivet points. One pan has actually broken in half right where the rivets were so I will have to repair this pan before reinstall. Any idea what type of plastic this is or any recommendations on what to use to repair the pan and the rest of the cracks? I was htinking about a two part epoxy designed for plastic repair.

Because the car is mine and I pay the insurance for mom I had to get her to sign a waiver excluding her from driving my truck or the insurance was going to up my premiums as well. Funny that they thought she would be driving a F450 crew cab dually diesel. Can you picture that.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #207
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm having a tough time imagining what this looks like, Chris. Any chance you can post some clear photos of the items and area you are discussing?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #208
x

XXXX , XXXX
Aage post #199 has photo. We are talking about the pan or shroud that the vista view window shade slides up and down in. Most of it is unseen because it is behind the inner panels(walls). The photo shows the front side and the white painted part is all you see from inside the trailer.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #209
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Yes I can imagine that

I normally just enjoy reading about all things in the forum. I had to giggle today about your comment on your mother driving your truck. I am near your mothers age and I drive a small econ Nissan most of the time to save fuel. I also drive my 3/4 ton chevy pu and my 82 Airstream 300 turbo deisel motorhome. I am aware that my reaction time is less now that years ago but I still feel confident in going where I want to go. If health and money holds at present levels I intend to be on the road at well part 80 so watch out for an old white haired lady driver in texas. I have not had a ticket nor accident in many years. my therory is age is a state of mind and I dont feel old.. Hope your mom doesnt have any more accidents.. Kay
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #210
x

XXXX , XXXX
Kay no offense intended towards seniors. I just can't imagine my mom driving my huge truck. I have laughingly suggested that before and she shudders at the thought. I some times want to use the car because of the fuel economy but that would mean leaving her the truck and she's having none of that.
I think it's great that you are willing to drive the moho and am sure that you won't be a hazard on the road. If i ever get to TX I will keep an eye open for you and wave hello.

Tags
1973 excella 500, 31', full monte, polish, remodel, shell off