Old 01-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
There is a gap there under the walls. Shoot.
Since the hoses come out underneath the main shell.. between the outriggers, if I welded a piece of angle iron or something over that gap.. to support the wall there, would that interfere with the operation of the hose reels?

There were two hose reels on ebay the other day for $200. Gone now. Im kicking myself for not getting those now..

Is this the pic? It looks like there might be two pieces of angle iron on the inside of two outriggers there..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 31.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	119973  

Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Sorry I haven't been around for my usual cheerleading - I've been ill for over a week

I think, currently, this is my favorite resto thread - best detail.

Thank you Daniel.
Thanks Dave..
My part is easy, I just come up with the problems..

Old 01-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Dan,

Great job so far. Looks like I am several weeks...well maybe more behind you. I will be following you progress so you can show me the way. Thanks for the link on the Hepvo I was wondering how to fix that problem as well.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
My part is easy, I just come up with the problems..
That doesn't accurately describe your role. You accurately communicate with descriptives and photographs the nature of the problem, show the consultations, and detail your proposed solution. Then, you tell us how it worked out.

That's invaluable.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
That sounds good. Ima see if I can put that on my resume.

More than once I've thought that it is not all bad to have to do everything from scratch because the trailer you got is nothing like it is supposed to be..
Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #118
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
There is a gap there under the walls. Shoot.
Since the hoses come out underneath the main shell.. between the outriggers, if I welded a piece of angle iron or something over that gap.. to support the wall there, would that interfere with the operation of the hose reels?

There were two hose reels on ebay the other day for $200. Gone now. Im kicking myself for not getting those now..

Is this the pic? It looks like there might be two pieces of angle iron on the inside of two outriggers there..
Daniel I guess you could use some sort of aluminium angle iron for support there. The only problem I can see is that is where the shell starts to curve so getting a piece in there and bent so as to not touch the shell or belly may be difficult.
HA HA those reels from E-bay are sitting in my shop now waiting to be installed. My old power reel had burnt out contacts and the manufacturer gave me such a hard time about getting parts for a 38 yr old unit because they don't have records that old to cross reference for part numbers. They still make the same reel and were resistant to sell me parts for a new exact match. They suggested that I buy a new reel for $700. I was going to tackle them again once I was close to the reinstall. Then I saw those ones on E-bay. I actually got them for $125 long before Xmas and it took so long to arrange shipping that the seller relisted them.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Thanks a lot.
I remember the ad saying buyer is responsible for arranging shipping.. I didn't understand what that meant.. "arranging shipping"?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #120
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Thanks a lot.
I remember the ad saying buyer is responsible for arranging shipping.. I didn't understand what that meant.. "arranging shipping"?
Daniel I would be willing to sell my old ones for say I dunno about $125 and the buyer must arrange shipping. Actually I have a UPS account so I could arrange shipping at the buyers expense.
Speaking of E-bay there is a NOS vista view window on there now for $70. That's a great price even the new single pane ones are more than twice that from the mothership. If your's are needing repair this would be a much easier alternative. Trust me i know what a pane(pain)they are to repair.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I have a vista view window that is missing, but I think it is in the "junk" pile on the back porch. I need to look..

Here it is.. a single pane and then the second picture is a bunch of plastic things that the PO cut that are the same size.

If they had the window, why would they cut the plastic things? Weird.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 73.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	119976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 74.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	119977  

Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I had this other problem that I put under the plumbing area but want to put the solution here to keep all the problems in the same bag..

Problem was that the outlet from the fresh water tank is 1/2", but the end of it that screws into the tank is 3/8". I want to do the plumbing in Pex, but couldn't find any sort of attachment with the two different sizes like that.
The outlet is on the right in the first picture. It needs to be replaced with a pex fitting.

The solution was to get the 1/2"x1/2" Pex fittting, then get a (non pex) 1/2x3/8 adapter. Then, a 3/8 threaded on both ends to screw into the tank and the adapter. The second pic shows the assembly minus the 3/8 threaded on both ends ( I was so excited about the other part I forgot to get the last piece before I left Lowes). The picture has the old nipple screwed in to verify the 3/8 fit.

The third pic shows the assembly put together, again without the 3/8 threaded thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 57.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	119978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 59.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	119979  

Name:	Photo 60.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	119980  
Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
Dan,

Great job so far. Looks like I am several weeks...well maybe more behind you. I will be following you progress so you can show me the way. Thanks for the link on the Hepvo I was wondering how to fix that problem as well.
Hey Nick. The shower thing I had to let on the back burner for now. To make that work I have to lower the gray tank. I can't do that with the tank that I have because the axle is in the way, so, I it kind of a major operation.. new tank, redo tank supports, new tank box.. (welding and sheet metal work).

Until I can get past this other stuff and get back to it the the Airstream bathing will have to be in a good old fashioned foot tub.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #124
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
I have a vista view window that is missing, but I think it is in the "junk" pile on the back porch. I need to look..

Here it is.. a single pane and then the second picture is a bunch of plastic things that the PO cut that are the same size.

If they had the window, why would they cut the plastic things? Weird.
Daniel the plastic or plexiglass pieces are the inner panes of a double pane set up. You should also have a aluminium trim ring which holds the double pane assembly in the window frame. Originally there would have been a rubber gasket holding both panes in a sandwich with pre shimmed butyl tape to seal the two panes in a sort of thermopane window.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #125
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post

I think, currently, this is my favorite resto thread - best detail.
Oh man. Am I out in left field?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #126
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010 View Post
Oh man. Am I out in left field?
Lance how about left out in a field like a scarecrow.
or out standing in your field like a farmer

Tags
1974 excella, axle