Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I have a vista view window that is missing, but I think it is in the "junk" pile on the back porch. I need to look..

Here it is.. a single pane and then the second picture is a bunch of plastic things that the PO cut that are the same size.

If they had the window, why would they cut the plastic things? Weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 73.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	119976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 74.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	119977  

Old 01-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I had this other problem that I put under the plumbing area but want to put the solution here to keep all the problems in the same bag..

Problem was that the outlet from the fresh water tank is 1/2", but the end of it that screws into the tank is 3/8". I want to do the plumbing in Pex, but couldn't find any sort of attachment with the two different sizes like that.
The outlet is on the right in the first picture. It needs to be replaced with a pex fitting.

The solution was to get the 1/2"x1/2" Pex fittting, then get a (non pex) 1/2x3/8 adapter. Then, a 3/8 threaded on both ends to screw into the tank and the adapter. The second pic shows the assembly minus the 3/8 threaded on both ends ( I was so excited about the other part I forgot to get the last piece before I left Lowes). The picture has the old nipple screwed in to verify the 3/8 fit.

The third pic shows the assembly put together, again without the 3/8 threaded thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 57.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	119978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 59.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	119979  

Name:	Photo 60.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	119980  
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
Dan,

Great job so far. Looks like I am several weeks...well maybe more behind you. I will be following you progress so you can show me the way. Thanks for the link on the Hepvo I was wondering how to fix that problem as well.
Hey Nick. The shower thing I had to let on the back burner for now. To make that work I have to lower the gray tank. I can't do that with the tank that I have because the axle is in the way, so, I it kind of a major operation.. new tank, redo tank supports, new tank box.. (welding and sheet metal work).

Until I can get past this other stuff and get back to it the the Airstream bathing will have to be in a good old fashioned foot tub.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #124
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
I have a vista view window that is missing, but I think it is in the "junk" pile on the back porch. I need to look..

Here it is.. a single pane and then the second picture is a bunch of plastic things that the PO cut that are the same size.

Daniel the plastic or plexiglass pieces are the inner panes of a double pane set up. You should also have a aluminium trim ring which holds the double pane assembly in the window frame. Originally there would have been a rubber gasket holding both panes in a sandwich with pre shimmed butyl tape to seal the two panes in a sort of thermopane window.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #125
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post

I think, currently, this is my favorite resto thread - best detail.
Oh man. Am I out in left field?

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #126
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010 View Post
Oh man. Am I out in left field?
Lance how about left out in a field like a scarecrow.
or out standing in your field like a farmer
Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #127
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:

Daniel here are a few links to the repairs I did to mine.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...tml#post864410

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...tml#post873929

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...tml#post876456

There are pics showing the trim ring on both the stack and vista views.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Everything looks like new. I haven't even thought about windows yet.. cause I don't want my head to explode. But I see now how you describe how everything is put together. I need to start looking to see what all that I have and don't have. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #129
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
I had this other problem that I put under the plumbing area but want to put the solution here to keep all the problems in the same bag..

Problem was that the outlet from the fresh water tank is 1/2", but the end of it that screws into the tank is 3/8". I want to do the plumbing in Pex, but couldn't find any sort of attachment with the two different sizes like that.
The outlet is on the right in the first picture. It needs to be replaced with a pex fitting.

The solution was to get the 1/2"x1/2" Pex fittting, then get a (non pex) 1/2x3/8 adapter. Then, a 3/8 threaded on both ends to screw into the tank and the adapter. The second pic shows the assembly minus the 3/8 threaded on both ends ( I was so excited about the other part I forgot to get the last piece before I left Lowes). The picture has the old nipple screwed in to verify the 3/8 fit.

The third pic shows the assembly put together, again without the 3/8 threaded thing.
Daniel check out these fittings. I have used them extensively in the past with pex lines and are excellent.
Popup Window 670330

Here is the link to their website.
Flair-It PEX Plumbing and Radiant Heating Systems

They are available from any RV outlet or you can order online right from them.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #130
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Everything looks like new. I haven't even thought about windows yet.. cause I don't want my head to explode. But I see now how you describe how everything is put together. I need to start looking to see what all that I have and don't have. Thanks!
If your's are in pieces and maybe missing parts grab that one off E-Bay at that price I'm surprised it's still available. I'm tempted to get it and sell it locally.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I put bid on it. I don't want to miss out again.. like I did on the hose reels
Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #132
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
I put bid on it. I don't want to miss out again.. like I did on the hose reels
Gently used reels available here.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
If you couldn't fix them, I seriously doubt that I could.

The reason that I didn't get the ones off of ebay is because they were electric. I'd really don't want electric. I'm thinking retractable would be so much simpler. I'm not getting why the things are so expensive.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #134
x

XXXX , XXXX
Good Morning Daniel
The reels I bought are not electric. They are spring loaded retractable like the original.
The water reel is fine. It's the power reel that needs a set of contacts. I'll try again with the manufacturer to get parts and let you know.
No worries either way I 'll just sell the on E-bay or here in the classifieds.
Did you look at those Flair it fittings. You should use a plastic fitting in the tank. It will seal better and will not be subject to leaks due to the different rates of expansion/contraction like a plastic/metal fitting will.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I'll hold off for a while on the reels. Have to may irons in the fire right now anyway. Maybe another set of retractables will come up sometime.

I looked at the Pex attachments. Others have talked about using the Flare it fittings with good success. I decided to go with the iron ring thing.

As for using a plastic outlet because the tank is plastic.. well there has to be plastic into metal somewhere unless I use all plastic, so it might as well be at the tank as anywhere, I guess. The expansion/contraction thing is something that I hadn't thought about. It should be ok. I hope. I'll seal up the threads really good.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #136
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've read a good number of resto threads around here (and all impressive) but your pictures in Post #33 show the best looking A/S frame I remember seeing. Wow! Blundered in here tonight but will be reading from hereon. A fine crew you've assembled for help, as well.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #137
x

XXXX , XXXX
Rednax You need to stumble some more.
Daniel I had to steal back some of the thunder you have stolen from me. I guess the pupil has surpassed the teacher.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Thanks Rednax. I appreciate the support.

When I think about what it would be like trying to do this with no prior knowledge of any of this stuff.. without this forum (the people here).. it is not a pleasant thought.

The frame was fabricated by a couple of guys here. From the looks of it they did a bang up job. The think that is different about my chassis, for good or ill, is that everything is made of the same material.. crossbeams, main rails, and outriggers all made from the same C5x6.7 C channel.

When the decision was made to use this C channel, I'd never even seen it. I didn't know what C5x6.7 C channel looked like until the chassis was delivered. I feel kinda lucky that it worked out.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #139
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel congrats on getting the window. I see you won it unopposed. I was tempted to bid just because the price was so low. You got it for a steal. Let me know what it looks like once it arrives. Although now you need to buy a buck riveting kit and learn how to buck in the new window.
P.S. ask the guy if he has any more windows or any other gems like that in his vault. I'm trying with a guy in Arkansas that has a connection to "a couple of trailers full of NOS airstream parts". He just hasn't made the trip yet to see what's in these "trailers"(tractor trailers that is).
Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #140
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Rednax You need to stumble some more.
Daniel I had to steal back some of the thunder you have stolen from me. I guess the pupil has surpassed the teacher.
That's why I said "remember" . . . I know I haven't seen them all, and I would hate to have been offensive to those who have done as well that I may have seen. Thanks for the pic (and now another thread to read)!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1974 excella, axle