Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #101
x

XXXX , XXXX
IMO it must be some of the PO's "handy work". If he intended that to be the holddown plate no wonder the shell shifted. That wouldn't hold down s**t.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
bump for the outrigger problem.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #103
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
I really need to start paying better attention. Missing too much stuff here..
Here is another one I just discovered today.

I'm hoping that the reason that there is no outrigger here where the floor breaks is because this is where the compartment is for the hose reels and such.
(the pic is reversed. This is the roadside)

If that is the case then there is no floor then between these two outriggers. That solves that problem, but introduces a new problem.

As the pic illustrates, the rear U channel goes right here where there is to be no floor. Does this U channel and the JC channel that begins where this leaves off just ride in the air there where there is no floor?
Or should there be a piece of angle iron or something there to support the wall?
Daniel the floor is cut out in a U shape on each section of flooe leaving a small 2" piece for the end cap channel and the side C channel to sit on.
BTW JC Channel? does that stand for Jesus Christ or Jackson Center?
I'll go out now and get you a close up of this area.
I have a question about your cut out for the steps. If I understand what you are doing you cut the floor along the crossmembers and are using another section of wood to eliminate the unsupported seam over the steps. Is that correct? So now instead of a 2ft seam unsupported you now have three seams sitting on crossmembers and the main frame rail.
Do you think this will be a better arrangement?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Not getting how plywood supports that edge when there is a floor break there and nothing underneath it.

That is correct with the steps. That's how I did it. It is a lot like this same problem here.. a floor break with no support under the break.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Sorry I haven't been around for my usual cheerleading - I've been ill for over a week

I think, currently, this is my favorite resto thread - best detail.

Thank you Daniel.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #106
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel sorry the batts are dead in the camera so no pics for a couple of hours while they recharge. Let's see if a can provide a picure in less then a thousand words.
The last piece of floor, call it sheet 7 is cut at the last outrigger from the main frame rail towards the outside of the shell and the cut stops 2 " before the outside edge of the shell leaving a strip 2" wide and about 12" long for the shell to sit on. Sheet 6 is cut the same way at the next outrigger from the main frame rail again leaving a small strip for the c channel and the shell to sit on.
Your'e right there is no floor there due to the opening left for the reels. A seperate piece of plywood is attached to pieces of angle iron welded to the outriggers. The angle iron is welded to the inside of each outrigger about halfway up the height of the outrigger. I'll look for some existing pics I have of this set up.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #107
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Sorry I haven't been around for my usual cheerleading - I've been ill for over a week

Thank you Daniel.
Dave now I feel relly left out.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
That's what happens when you slack off, Chris..
Old 01-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #109
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel I haven't been slacking off. It's just not very glamorous to post pic after pic of polished window frames. As you know there are 9 window frames and the door frame, door edges and the screen door to polish. All this needs to be done by hand as they are too small to use polishers on.
I've got 5 windows and the door and frame done and am working away on the screen door now.
Anyway I found a couple of pics showing the reel cut out area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Floor on New Frame Trial Fit 006.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	119965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell back on 004.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	119966  

Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Daniel sorry the batts are dead in the camera so no pics for a couple of hours while they recharge. Let's see if a can provide a picure in less then a thousand words.
The last piece of floor, call it sheet 7 is cut at the last outrigger from the main frame rail towards the outside of the shell and the cut stops 2 " before the outside edge of the shell leaving a strip 2" wide and about 12" long for the shell to sit on. Sheet 6 is cut the same way at the next outrigger from the main frame rail again leaving a small strip for the c channel and the shell to sit on.
Your'e right there is no floor there due to the opening left for the reels. A seperate piece of plywood is attached to pieces of angle iron welded to the outriggers. The angle iron is welded to the inside of each outrigger about halfway up the height of the outrigger. I'll look for some existing pics I have of this set up.
So the two inches of plywood floor left on the outside.. there is nothing directly supporting that from underneath?

I remember you saying that you spotted angle iron where the hose reels go on one of my old frame pictures. Ima look back and see if I can spot it.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #111
x

XXXX , XXXX
Wrong Pic

This is the right one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shell back on 001.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	119967  
Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #112
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
So the two inches of plywood floor left on the outside.. there is nothing directly supporting that from underneath?
Right nothing underneath the plywood there.

I remember you saying that you spotted angle iron where the hose reels go on one of my old frame pictures. Ima look back and see if I can spot it.
Yes it is in one of your pics I look for it too and let you know.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
There is a gap there under the walls. Shoot.
Since the hoses come out underneath the main shell.. between the outriggers, if I welded a piece of angle iron or something over that gap.. to support the wall there, would that interfere with the operation of the hose reels?

There were two hose reels on ebay the other day for $200. Gone now. Im kicking myself for not getting those now..

Is this the pic? It looks like there might be two pieces of angle iron on the inside of two outriggers there..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo 31.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	119973  
Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post

Thank you Daniel.
Thanks Dave..
My part is easy, I just come up with the problems..
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Dan,

Great job so far. Looks like I am several weeks...well maybe more behind you. I will be following you progress so you can show me the way. Thanks for the link on the Hepvo I was wondering how to fix that problem as well.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
My part is easy, I just come up with the problems..
That doesn't accurately describe your role. You accurately communicate with descriptives and photographs the nature of the problem, show the consultations, and detail your proposed solution. Then, you tell us how it worked out.

That's invaluable.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
That sounds good. Ima see if I can put that on my resume.

More than once I've thought that it is not all bad to have to do everything from scratch because the trailer you got is nothing like it is supposed to be..
Old 01-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #118
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
There is a gap there under the walls. Shoot.
Since the hoses come out underneath the main shell.. between the outriggers, if I welded a piece of angle iron or something over that gap.. to support the wall there, would that interfere with the operation of the hose reels?

There were two hose reels on ebay the other day for $200. Gone now. Im kicking myself for not getting those now..

Is this the pic? It looks like there might be two pieces of angle iron on the inside of two outriggers there..
Daniel I guess you could use some sort of aluminium angle iron for support there. The only problem I can see is that is where the shell starts to curve so getting a piece in there and bent so as to not touch the shell or belly may be difficult.
HA HA those reels from E-bay are sitting in my shop now waiting to be installed. My old power reel had burnt out contacts and the manufacturer gave me such a hard time about getting parts for a 38 yr old unit because they don't have records that old to cross reference for part numbers. They still make the same reel and were resistant to sell me parts for a new exact match. They suggested that I buy a new reel for $700. I was going to tackle them again once I was close to the reinstall. Then I saw those ones on E-bay. I actually got them for $125 long before Xmas and it took so long to arrange shipping that the seller relisted them.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Thanks a lot.
I remember the ad saying buyer is responsible for arranging shipping.. I didn't understand what that meant.. "arranging shipping"?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #120
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Thanks a lot.
I remember the ad saying buyer is responsible for arranging shipping.. I didn't understand what that meant.. "arranging shipping"?
Daniel I would be willing to sell my old ones for say I dunno about $125 and the buyer must arrange shipping. Actually I have a UPS account so I could arrange shipping at the buyers expense.
Speaking of E-bay there is a NOS vista view window on there now for $70. That's a great price even the new single pane ones are more than twice that from the mothership. If your's are needing repair this would be a much easier alternative. Trust me i know what a pane(pain)they are to repair.

Tags
1974 excella, axle