Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
zolatone, mouse fur, and padded cell ceiling (pcc)

this will apply to 95-2000 excella classics:
I recently purchased a 2000. Although I have seen the following terms, I have ignored their definition and where/when they appear:
zolatone: is this aluminum covered with a vinyl-like substance that has some kind of printed pattern on it? And said stuff can be sticky in one spot and just fine an inch away?
Mouse fur: Is this the thin carpet placed on the walls?
PCC: is this the 1/4-1/2 inch padding glued to the ceiling?
Okay, please see photos. And yes, most of these questions have been asked before, but technology changes some answers, or not.

Q1) Lacquer thinner wiped the "print" right off my zolatone-left white. How do you clean this surface? What else can be done with this material? Paint?
Q2) Mouse fur has condensation stains (maybe a leak or two, too) {tutu?} Again, how do you clean the stains? Any magic out there?
Q3) PCC is this the stuff that comes unglued and hangs down? what years are affected? how do you clean?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01289.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	159515   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01290.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	159516  

Name:	DSC01285.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	159517   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01286.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	159518  

Name:	DSC01287.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	159519  

Old 05-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Zolatone will not be in your 2000 - it is a type of epoxy paint found in 50's & 60's trailers. It has a splatter-paint appearance to it.

Vinyl-Clad Aluminum is what you described as Zolatone in your opening post - it is basically vinyl wallcovering usually with a texture & printed pattern firmly bonded to the aluminum skin. It's usually found in wet areas like the Kitchen & Bath.

Mouse Fur is a soft fuzzy fabric. It can be smooth like velvet or have a texture similar to a soft loopy carpet. This is usually found in the living & bedroom areas.

Padded Cell Ceiling is as you described but it's basically padded vinyl cushion-like (knit fabric or foam-backed?) material on the ceiling. It's a sort of vinyl faced headliner - much like what is found in some cars.

From your pictures:

#1 & #2 look like Vinyl Clad Aluminum
#3 & #4 look like Mouse Fur
and #5 looks like vinyl padded ceiling

Q-1: I would use some something like Simple Green or TSP to clean the vinyl-clad walls. The Lacquer thinner is way too strong - it is removing the printed pattern - thus leaving the solid white vinyl.

Q-2: I've never owned a trailer with this, not sure of any cleaning recommendations. Someone that has will surely reply, but my inclination would be to try cleaning it with something like a mild dilution of OxyClean.

Q-3: Again, not dealt with this first-hand, but I think what happens is either the foam backing disintegrates and separates from the vinyl face or the vinyl just comes un-glued from the aluminum skin. Some have had success re-gluing it, others have stripped it completely off.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty | 1946 Curtis Wright Model 2
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Krud-Cutter(Walmart, Home Depot, etc.) for the vinyl clad aluminum. Spray it with Krud Cutter, wipe it down. The wash the Krud-Cutter off with soapy water (I used Simple Green) and a final wipe down with clear water. I think the sticky is chemicals that come out of the vinyl. I have done 2 of these older trailers and the Krud-Cutter does work. And nothing else I tried worked.

Mouse fur: What worked for me is the trashcan. Where it was bad and visible in the living room area I just took it off, washed the wall behind it, and trashed the stuff. Now way to work on it that I could see. It is paper backed. With the tables, chairs, book racks, etc. not much wall shows.

Our ceilings are vinyl clad Al, so I have a lot of experience with the Krud-Cutter.

The only thing I know about the padded ceiling is that there are some pretty unhappy people with relatively new Airstreams and there are some people in the busisness of reattaching them with various methods.