Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1997 -2001 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Mice

We are interested in buying a 1999, 31' excella. It looks in good shape But. It has not been used for a couple years. Has been stored in a barn. Owner told us he can't keep the mice out of it and not 5 min later as we sat on couch, a mouse came down the hall from bedroom and into bathroom. This has us worried about damage which mice can inflict. Any advice on how to proceed? Or should we abandon interest?
MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'd still buy it if the price was right. To deal with mice, you have to deal with them every day until you have trapped or killed them all. In the meantime, look for their places and clean them up.

Once you move the unit and killed the present occupants, you can use balled-up aluminum screen material and stuff that up everyplace you can find to reduce their access points.

You will still pick up new visitors in some campgrounds - then be diligent and keep up the fight.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Micky and Minnie like living in the upscale surroundings of an AIRSTREAM. They also like to leave their scent behind and, the source and the remnants, are very difficult to get rid of.

If you want the unit, discount the price to whatever you think smells right with you.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear View Post
We are interested in buying a 1999, 31' excella. It looks in good shape But. It has not been used for a couple years. Has been stored in a barn. Owner told us he can't keep the mice out of it and not 5 min later as we sat on couch, a mouse came down the hall from bedroom and into bathroom. This has us worried about damage which mice can inflict. Any advice on how to proceed? Or should we abandon interest?
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The worst damage mice can cause is to wiring. I have had a lot of vintage mouse motel A$ and never found a wiring problem. They can also eat through wood. In my opinion, uncommon, but an easy fix. The more common problem is accumulated mouse urine especially near nests. The 71 I now use for camping had the worst mouse problem of any of my trailers. It was not too hard to clean it up, and I replaced all my mousey upholstery, which was rotten anyway. A good cleaning got rid of 95% of the smell. The remaining 5% took years to go away completely, or maybe I just got used to it. An area mice like to play in and have mouse orgies is the belly pan. You could drop the belly pan and replace the fiberglass (stupid place for fiberglass) with rigid foam. I was too lazy.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks. Those were pretty much our concerns. Dropping the belly pan would be a must I guess as the inside doesn't appear to have mouse nests. I guess if wiring works they haven't chewed thru it. We will have to think what price would "smell" right given the work ahead.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Don't know much about the New York mice, but out West we have to deal with hantavirus from leftover droppings. That might be a concern, so where a mask when cleaning.

I had a couple of mice move in and build a nest with toilet paper. They were moving around through openings in between the walls. Set traps and blasted some annoying loud music and they just picked up and moved out.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Don't know much about the New York mice, but out West we have to deal with hantavirus from leftover droppings. That might be a concern, so where a mask when cleaning.

I had a couple of mice move in and build a nest with toilet paper. They were moving around through openings in between the walls. Set traps and blasted some annoying loud music and they just picked up and moved out.
Here in Seattle our mice have grown up on annoying loud music. They'll throw a party and invite all their friends.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
About mice I have a couple of things to say.....traditional traps with a bit of pecan for bait, it's even better than peanut butter.

The ultrasonic things seem to work also at keeping them out. (from Tractor Supply)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A terrier should get rid of them and keep them out, and makes a much better furry companion.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
If the mice get in between the skins you'll never get the smell out... THE SMELL OF MOUSE PISS I tore my trailer apart to the frame to get rid of that smell. Buyers beware.
Thisisliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
We use cedar shavings on the floor of our feed room in the horse barn. The idea is the mice do not like the smell of the cedar. It "seems" to work.

So....in my trailer, I keep a few old socks filled with cedar shavings in various cabinets and storage areas, and of course, I change the shavings every few months so the smell is fresh. It "seems" to work. No mice.
But then, no elephants, alligators or small neighbor kids in there either....so take it for what it's worth.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We kept our former trailer at a farm for winter storage for a couple of winters. I had read on the forum about stuffing dryer sheets around and that the mice and other critters don't like the smell. I've also heard that it's a myth and not very effective. However, all that said, we had that trailer for 4 years and did not have any invasion of mice during that time. So maybe they work, maybe they don't. They are cheap and smell nice so they can't do any harm. The only unwanted visitors we've found, except for misquotes that is, is the infamous stink bugs. But not too bad, just annoying.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
More info on Hantavirus, previously highlighted by Mojo:

News articles seem to indicate that Hantavirus may be limited to southwest desert areas; and this disease can be avoided, if reasonable precautions are taken when cleaning dried rodent urine and droppings. However, it should be noted that there appears to be no specific treatment, cure, or vaccine for a hantavirus infection, which can be fatal.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I used one of these http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/m752s
100% of the time for the last three years, when I can plug to shore power. My trailer is parked 10' from a wooded area spring, summer, and fall. The mice moved out and have not come back.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I had a 1996 21' Sovereign that had a mouse invasion. I tried the ultrasonic device. Went in the door one day and right in front of the ultrasonic emitter was a mouse eating something. Got rid of those devices and started looking for entry holes. Found openings in the front of the A frame. Wadded up chicken wire and stuffed it in there. Also found a hole where the electric power came in. Filled the hole with black gummy caulking. Those seemed to stop the entry of the mice.

My current 2007 27'FB had an invasion also. The only opening I could find was through the utility drawer under the rear bumper. I could not find a way to plug that one so just leave the old fashion mouse traps set in the drawer when the trailer is in storage. That seems to work also.
Ron
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks for great advice. We decided to buy a different trailer. One with fewer mice! It is a 2000 excella. We are currently at Jackson Center getting it checked out and a few repairs. Spent first night in it and love how spacious it is. We are planning some extended travel in our new digs. We will use above suggestions to keep out mice. Never had mice in our Safari. Maybe they like Classics better!