Old 11-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Towing 34'

I was just in the market for a tow vehicle for our 34' and made the decision after considering a great deal of advice to go with the 3500 instead of the 2500. I know many who are totally comfortable with the 2500 which will certainly do the job. But since I was in the market, and there was a new 06 3500 with the options we wanted on the lot at a very good price, I went that way.

2000 34' Limited with Sofa Slide
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Turbodiesel 4X4 Quad Cab Hensley Hitch Pressure Pro Centramatics
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1999 34' Excella
Fort Polk , Louisiana
Thumbs up Just brought the Excella home........

My husband borrowed a friends F250 Diesel and loved it! No problems, other than the people on the road who just can't seem to "see" the huge silver "UTO" - unidentified towed object! We'll keep the "good 'ol van" to pull the 14' utility trailer.
It's been amazing how much attention an Airstream gets! We had it parked in front of our house over the weekend and ended up taking several people on tours through it!
Can't wait to "get out there" and meet all of you! Thanks for all the input on the tow vehicles, we'll let you know how we end up!

ciquing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
I tow my 34' with a 3/4 Dodge diesel. No problems at all. The 1 tons have the same frame and driveline but a stiffer suspension. I guess they were about the same price, at least when I was shopping a few years ago; did seem like the 1 tons mostly came with dual rear wheels. Apparently if you tow a larger 5th wheel, a dually is the only way to go.

As far as issues, watch the center support for the awning. That can be tricky and I think mine fell into the side a few times and they can tear your skin up getting them tight, get good gloves. I replaced the sink fixtures, both bathroom and kitchen with replacements from Home depot. The bathroom faucet did not stick out far enough and water was always slopping around. I found a faucet with an extra long neck, what a world of difference and it was about an hour to replace.

Good luck with yours, I know we have had fun with ours.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #18
1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
congradulations on your purchase ,I really like my 1993 34" airstream classic limited.
I like all the options ,electric stabilers jacks ,keyless entry ,etc.
These trailers are the cats meow!!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Originally Posted by nilesrob
We had a 1999 34' Classic and loved it - upgraded to a 2005 34' Classic with slide-out.

For your purposes, the F250 will work just fine. We towed our 1999 with an Excursion (same thing as F250) - no problems. When we moved to the slide-out version, the tongue weight was greater. I have added air bags to beef up the suspension, and might consider an F350 if I was in the market for a new TV. But we just returned from 5,000 miles and many elevations and the Excursion did just fine.
Brad: Did you notice any difference in the ride after the air bags were added. I have a chopping ride on concrete highways and looking for a way to improve. Sorry for being off the topic.
2010 43' Newmar Dutch Aire
formerly 2006 34' Classic

Changing the World One Child at a Time

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #20
1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I think you'll find there is little real difference between the F-250 and F-350 other than the tires. E rated on the F-250 and G rated on most F-350s. I've been told by the dealers that the spring rates, frames, axles, brakes, etc. are the same on both trucks. Either will do the job just fine. We tow with both but prefer the F-250 only because it is a little bit more tricked out than the F-350 and since it has a "real" job, it is usually dirty everytime we want to take the trailer somewhere. Welcome and enjoy.
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Another "Off Topic" question...

Hi all -

Have a question that seem to only fall with the "BIG Toys" as I got NO responses elsewhere on the forum...

Anybody else have a 'Kool-Matic' vent in the rear?? I do not like it since it cannot be sealed against drafts - got a fantastic vent to replace it with. Just not sure if keeping the KM is a worthwhile endeavor...?

BTW - the 34 is THE way to go! All the rest think they know what ASin' is all about, but they don't really... Until you go big, you haven't really gone at all! 'Just the facts, mame!'

That 34 forums group idea is great! Tell me where and when, I'll add my .02 cents for any and all!

Back to the regular thread...

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Hi I'm not sure what kind mine is. If your talking about one that is about the size of your AC then I know what you mean. Mine looks like a large square AC grill on the inside. It has a hard plastic cover for the inside but thats the only weather seperation between the inside temp. and the outside temp.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Taking mine in next week to have a 20' panel replaced, didn't swing quite wide enough. Stuff happens.
Oof! Sorry to hear about that, Rick! Stuff does happen, indeed! Like me forgetting my tote tank was still under the back of my trailer when I pulled it out of it's "port" and breaking the motor housing on one of the rear stabilizer jack motors. Fortunately, it was only about $7 to replace from Ultra-Fab.

Yes, we love our 34' too... She's a big mammooooo!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Moved SilverToy!

Hello all -

Moved SilverToy today. From Winter storage to getting ready to leave status. Will be doing all the neccesary things tomorrow AM.

Had to do the trailer shuffle to get SilverToy out - moved 10K utility trailer (friend is keeping it here). Then had to move the wife's ride, then SilverToy out and over to the handy driveway.... Then the UT back into ST spot, then the car back....

Boy am I whupped! 3 backing approaches, and 3 cranks up, down, up.... Making lists now....

5 neighbors stopped to ask about, 'Are you taking a New Years trip again??' "Yes." 'Oh, we are SOO jealous that you can just pick up and go...'

Well, not quite, but then green is a nice color on them. Told em all to buy one and then they could go.... too!

First time backing with the 'new' Schefenecker mirrors. Will take some getting used to - as the RT side has a bit of convex surface to it, and the size of objects is a bit startling at first. Nearly swerved into oncoming traffic the first time merging with the mirror. That would have been great, new and better mirrors, and I get in a wreck because of them..... Fortuanately all was well. Finished the lights, heaters hook up today and they are really something. Looks a bit 'big rig-ish' (yeah right!) and I got a complement on them already! Only 2 buttons left on that brand new shirt but worth it to me.

OK, gotta run - lots to do to get out of here tomorrow!

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #25
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by ciquing
Would love to hear from any other owners! Tips, pointers, "watch for" anything you'd like to share! We will start shopping for the ZipDee Screen room this weekend - has anyone else used one? We have ZipDee chairs but now the research begins to find what "extra's" we just can't camp without!
Nice find.

I would suspect my only thing I could share would be to have a fund established. With 6 tires, 6 wheel bearing re-packs a 34' is not only king of the road, but also the king of expenses for maint having 2 extra wheels and one extra axle compared to most RVs.

But, the space it can the Lucy long, long trailer.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Congrats on your new '34! I have a F250 Crew Cab Looooong Wheel base Diesel which pulls our 31' Classic. In my comparisons of the F250 to the F350, I found only three key differences.

1. Payload Capacity is 1,000 lbs more on the F350 (4,300lbs vs 3,300lbs) (Thanks to one extra overload leaf (top) spring on the rear).

2. Towing capacity are the same for both the F250 and F350: 12,500 lbs. If you go with a dually (about $1,000+ more), you jump up to 15k lbs towing capacity.

3. Nameplates.

The F250 was still much more of a truck than we needed, so we opted for the F250 over the F350 despite the cost difference being minimal.

Oh yeah, you can get some great deals now too. We got $100 over invoice, 0% financing and the combined $1,000 rebate being offered at the time. Now they give you a longer warranty too! We missed out on the warranty offer which came out a month after our purchase.
classic67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Originally Posted by hookedonclassic
Brad: Did you notice any difference in the ride after the air bags were added. I have a chopping ride on concrete highways and looking for a way to improve. Sorry for being off the topic.
Change roads. Some of the older cities in the southeast have old concrete roads that'll send your teeth flying. The air bags if anything stiffen the ride - although on normal roads provides a completely comfortable ride. I feel your pain, but the airbags don't cure that pain.
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Thanks Brad for the opinion.

2010 43' Newmar Dutch Aire
formerly 2006 34' Classic

Changing the World One Child at a Time