Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Corian Countertops???

Calling all Excella/Classic owners with Corian countertops!!

I'm thinking of retrofiting my 97 Excella with Corian (came with laminate). I'm curious about the kitchen sink. How deep is it? Is it (the sink) "moulded" into the countertop like most home installations or is a bottom mount like the bathroom sink?

Thanks,
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I retrofitted my '97 Excella with Corian and I mounted the original stainless steel sink just like it was mounted in the plastic laminate top. I opted for this alternative because all the corian sinks I could find were waaaaaaay big! For the record, the corian sinks were all mounted from the bottom with corian color matched adhesive. Something else to consider, the corian sinks are heavy!

For pictures see my listing here:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=14103
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
I retrofitted my '97 Excella with Corian and I mounted the original stainless steel sink just like it was mounted in the plastic laminate top. I opted for this alternative because all the corian sinks I could find were waaaaaaay big! For the record, the corian sinks were all mounted from the bottom with corian color matched adhesive. Something else to consider, the corian sinks are heavy!

For pictures see my listing here:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=14103
Bob

I was wondering about the corian cracking. I have heard that corian which has been installed in a manner to cause stress when installed would crack in time. i.e. Over tightened the hold downs, sinks are clamped until the adheasive dries, this causes stress fractures. In a trailer it would also take quite a pounding going down the road.
Have you seen any problems?

In general has anyone else seen these types of problems with corian?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I've not had any cracking problems at all in towing the trailer over 10,000 miles last year, but then again, when I made and installed my corian countertops, I designed them to be in a relaxed state. I accomplished this by using minimal clamping pressure during the set up of epoxy joints, and by using plywood blocking. In other words, I didn't build the countertops in a stressed situation. An example, I used short pieces of plywood for blocking in lieu of long pieces of hardwood. The reason being plywood is much less likely to create stresses as it reacts to changes in humidity, and of course, short pieces aren't going to have total dimensional changes anywhere close to long hardwood pieces. I would think anyone approaching the problem in this manner will have success avoiding cracks.

We have thoroughly enjoyed having the corian countertops. They look great and are easy to maintain.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Jan's Hubby,

Hey! Ben here. Motorhomes have been using Corian much longer than Airstream trailers. I've always got older motorhomes on my used lot with Corian and I've never seen any with cracks. It's possible that a "shade tree" installation could result in cracking, but I've been to the Airstream factory several times (we're very close) and they have an excellent Corian shop. I'd have them do it.

The Dude.
Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadude
Jan's Hubby,

Hey! Ben here. Motorhomes have been using Corian much longer than Airstream trailers. I've always got older motorhomes on my used lot with Corian and I've never seen any with cracks. It's possible that a "shade tree" installation could result in cracking, but I've been to the Airstream factory several times (we're very close) and they have an excellent Corian shop. I'd have them do it.

The Dude.
Interesting; I talked with a couple of counter guys in a local rv shop and they have seen a few corian tops with cracks, these were in some SOBs.. I friend of mine had a crack in his.
I wonder whats going on here. Maybe has to do with installation methods or maybe the base cabinates or something else.
Second thought we have very hot summers around here 100+ I wonder if that might have something to do with it?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have a 94 with a corian counter and sink. No cracks and it has whole buch of miles on it.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Wink Gilding the Lily ?

I am and have been for a few years fascinated and amazed at the "Corian Craze" in the home improvement field. The stuff is certainly nice and I believe in the citizens right to do as they darn well please with their money.
Personally I still am real happy with ceramic tile and never was overly repulsed by kitchens I have had with laminate (Formica/Wilson Art). Think my fav is still wood (thickly varnished or polyd) but have seen some copper and stainless tops that sure make a statement too.
But is the Corian and now (quarry stoned) fad just a status thing or what?

I mean how many have replaced the Airstream installed Cheezy clocks with Rolex's?

Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
I don't think the heat itself would make it crack as it actually gets more flexible in heat. Corian is basically very hard, high quality plastic. Heating and cooling many times might be the culprit though. Like I say, some of our older units that have been on our lot for a long time don't show any damage and there's one particular unit that has been through two extreme winters and two extreme summers. Pulling the trailer in extreme cold might make it crack as well. Who knows??
Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
One very nice thing about the corian is that you can polish scratches with water rub sandpaper. The great thing about laminate is that you can afford to replace it when you want to change colors. Corian in the Airstream, Formica in the house.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Thumbs up

We really like our '04 Safari's interiour including the cabinets, even more than the oak or hickory like in the Classics. Since you can't get a Classic with these new type cabinets or a Safari with Corian (from Airstream) we are considering doing this 'after-market'. What suggestions would any of you that have put in Corian (or similar) countertops have?
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I would go to a local cabinet shop and tell them what I want. Personally I would want to be the one to remove the old (can you call a contertop on a 2005 old?) so that I could reinstall if I so desired and that my plumbing lines wouldn't be compromised. Its a pain to remove the old counter, I did it on my 74, but its just labor intensive not rocket science. Use the old countertop as a template and make and reinstall the new one. It will take several hours and a tongue fluent in French to remove the existing countertop