Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Good luck Vinnie and I hope you are enjoying your Excella. Sorry to hear about the floor, that sounds like a lot of work.

I got the vintage emblems back from the powder coaters. They looked great, I need to take some pictures. Oasis stripped off the factory airstream letters and riveted on the cast emblems. The size IMHO is perfect, they just stretch the length of the 3 marker lights and the centering is pleasing to the eye. Now that they are installed, I would have gone a few shades lighter on the silver. Hard to tell.

I did note that Joe had my rig backed up to his fence closest to the entrance with the LED lights and emblems on clear display along with the new chrome belt molding. Usually it is stored elsewhere and not so visible. I need to post some pics.

Next projects are upholstery and replace carpet.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #16
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Great! cant wait to see the pics. I so appreciate all the work your doing! Keep me updated and i will get some pics to you as well.

Take care!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
1) Installed 2x80w solar panels and regulator.
2) Installed full oven/range and removed drawers and range top.
3) Replaced heater fan motor, squirrel cage since old one burned out
4) Replaced shower door top grommet
6) Repaired bedroom valance that had become detached
7) Resealed entire under bottom of trailer
8) Replaced back lower RS quarter panel
9) replaced underbelly wrap by front door
10) Walk around touchup of vulkem of all the seams where needed. The back license plate holder was a real culprit.

An oven is GREAT! Especially when dry camping which we have been doing more and more of every year. That is also why we added the solar panels. Nothing like firing up the generator every morning to break the mountain morning peace. The panels are cleanly installed with the control panel mounted on the credenza right next to the stove, it looks good. Our last trip out, we could hear the heater fan motor whining. It was not a good sound. The motor and fan had chewed up the plastic housing and the bearings went out in the motor. The bathroom door had broken at the top, so it needed reattached.

I noticed that various trim pieces were not on the work order and there were at least two that were getting loose.

The quarter panel was pure vanity. There was one long deep scratch in the aluminum from the previous owner where they had backed into something. Not a dent, just a really ugly scratch. That is now virgin aluminum. The lower underbelly near the door was the same thing. Something had crushed into it so that you could see one of the spars molded into it. That is now pristine.

Every trip there is something.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
I have noticed that there is a charger for the batteries but no inverter to power the outlets while on battery. I have done some research and have found the magnum inverter/charger series. The link is
ME Series Inverter/Charger. Seems like a good way to take full advantage of the solar and provide practical ac power when not hooked up.

Has anyone installed a large size inverter to run ac outlets?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #19
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Your trailer has had a bunch of work since I saw it last. It had an open moon roof at Quartzsite earlier this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the work and your family at a rally in the near future.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Hi Rich,

We will make an appearance at the T-Day Q-Rally. We just can't make it on TDay itself, but should be there on Friday. I guess we should sign up to let you all know.

Yes the featured "clear view" moon roof option gave us great views of the stars but augmented the air conditioning system more than we cared for. That has all been redone and the whole roof resealed.

The next upgrade is the flooring. Carpet in a TT is just stupid especially when out in the boonies. You just can't keep it clean.
E.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Wow! That's quite a maintenance list. On our 2000, 30' Excella, I've replaced the tires (---@ 5years old) and the air conditioner (---low voltage use by prior owner,) rebuilt the display on my microwave, replaced the built-in water pressure regulator, re-aligned the axles/wheels, replaced the struts on the stabilizer jacks (---over-stressed by the prior Owner,) repacked the wheel bearings annually, and executed the re-call on the refrigerator. The unit was 3-years old when I bought it and the prior Owner had never performed any maintenance. He used it as a cottage while building a beautiful waterfront home. Beyond that listed, I haven't had to do anything other than enjoy the rig every summer. We normally hang around the Northeast and the Maritimes (Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia) - but we did spend six months in Florida right after we bought the Airstream - returning via the mid-west route to Jackson Center to replace the tires and A/C. The rig spends winter here in Maine, hunkered down in the open on my driveway. I have several pending maintenance items that I'll probably get to next summer - but nothing expensive or critical - and, "horror of horrors" - I've only done one thorough wash job on the rig - at Jackson Center. The finish is in excellent condition with only two or three signs of filiform corrosion about the size of a pencil erasor. I probably will do a wash job this coming summer, just to get rid of traces of green mildew/mold where water sits on horizontal members (i.e. - "rubrails.") I agree that carpeting is a bit difficult to keep clean - but we use the vacuum cleaner frequently and we do our best to bring in as little dirt as possible. That said, the carpeting still feels better underfoot, when we settle in for the night, than hardwood flooring.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Hi Cracker,

Yes it is starting to turn into a large list. I get it that the roof needs sealing and plastic replaced, the sun in AZ is brutal, it rots out. What I don't get are things like the heater fan motor going out since I would expect most units to have little use. Key word being expect. Maybe ours got a lot more full time use than I would have imagined. I just don't know. We clean everything up before we take a trip, yes I know it is dirty with bugs after the first few hundred miles of driving, but that is what we do.

As for the carpet, you have pointed out the key trade-off. When it is cold outside, a nice carpet sure does feel good walking around in bare feet. I do wonder how much insulation effect we will lose with just a vinyl floor. That is something I intend to ask about but will forge ahead regardless as our experience has been that keeping the carpet clean is a lost cause. Maybe we are slobs and just kid ourselves into thinking otherwise.

The idea was always to let other folks know what we have had to do and it should be clear which things are optional. Maybe it will help someone buy a used unit for the first time if they can see what we have had to repair then they will know what to look for.

We have been very happy with our trailer so far.

E.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
You mentioned you had to Recurve front door to seal properly, how was that done? did the dealer take care of that? I notice on our trailer that the bottom right hand corner (when looking at the door from the outside) sticks out a bit and when on the inside of the trialer, I can see light coming through the same area. Luckily we have not had any water damage in that area but since it sounds like the door can be recurved, I was curious how and who does it... cost??
Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
I have no idea what they did to recurve it. Yes it was a dealer repair. I am not sure I want to know because I have an image of two guys, one on each end, pushing down on it over a saw horse. It did the job though. The door fits tight all the way around when before we had a sealing problem.

The dealer was Oasis RV in Tucson, AZ. It is an exclusive Airstream dealership, they know what they are doing.

Cost seemed reasonable and was not that much.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
OK, Here is the latest done on 1/2009 getting ready for the 4CU rally

1/2009
1) Front vent was still not closing and turning off properly, problem was a cracked gear mechanism in the hand crank.
2) Replace bathroom vent plastic lid as it had cracked
3) Replace LHS front BAL jack (That now makes all 4 with new style pins to keep the nuts from backing off.
4) Reattach front end cap on roof locker above dinette
5) Replace LP regulator with auto changeover (old one did not auto change)
6) Foil insulate and seal plastic battery boxes under gaucho
7) Replace catch on wardrobe door
8) Roller on bedroom pocket door replaced
9) Replace bathroom folding door clip as old one had cracked
10) Reattach bedroom doorstop

I have been on a mission to seal the rig against drafts. I did not realize at first what a drafty thing that an AS is. It is much better than it was but not as good as it could be. I think AS should line the panels with reflectix on the inside and then use lots of insulation before putting on interior panels. Considering the cost, the insulation should be much much better than it is. It would help especially in summer.

I also now realize I have now replaced that regulator twice less than 6mo apart .
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Repairs.

Pm's do keep an Airstream owner busy.

Three things I noticed.

You sealed the underbelly.

Not good, as it must breathe. If it does not, rusting will accelerate.

Pull one of the sewer vent pipe covers off. You should find that cover gasket, severely cracked.

Lube all the exterior gaskets with some silicone spray. Makes them last a lot longer.

Andy
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks Andy, I'll take a look at the sewer pipe and will lube the gaskets, I have noticed that they are dry and some windows do not open without some exterior help with a screwdriver. I'll talk with the guys about the rust issue since I had not thought of that.

I was originally reacting to a camping trip where I pulled 23miles down a fine powder dust road. The interior was inundated. I think I traced it to the rubber gasket that goes around the LP line for the stove which feeds in by the furnace. This two part gasket has one flap inside and one flap on the furnace side with the little hole in the middle for the copper line. Mine was popped out leaving a direct path for dust to get sucked in off the wheel wells and into the trailer. However, I did not know this at the time and when I got back home I told Oasis to seal everything with a crack all the way around and under.

We are in Tucson, a very dry climate, but will definitely follow up on the rust concern.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson View Post
I have no idea what they did to recurve it. Yes it was a dealer repair. I am not sure I want to know because I have an image of two guys, one on each end, pushing down on it over a saw horse. It did the job though. The door fits tight all the way around when before we had a sealing problem.

The dealer was Oasis RV in Tucson, AZ. It is an exclusive Airstream dealership, they know what they are doing.

Cost seemed reasonable and was not that much.

I think I'll ask my dealership to see what they can do the next time we take our trailer in, I'd like to see the corner of the door fit more flush with the opening. Yeah, I don't know that I would like to see how they actually do it either, just so long as it fits better in the end!!