Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1997 -2001 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
2000 Excella Dual AC installation

Has anyone done the dual AC installation on this model year or close to it? I had Rick at Oasis take a look and he called airstream with the serial number and they said it was not factory wired for a second unit but did not actually look. He had a couple options, both involved new main wiring. A) new 50 amp service, B) second 20 amp wire. Neither at first blush sounded all that palatable.

We did the old airstream pressure cooker last summer here in the land-o-sun and would like to avoid a repeat.

Just looking for ideas and options. I would be real nice to keep the 30 amp and use the 5 button control to just switch zones and use one at a time and close off the front section when sleeping. 34' is a lot to cool, but we do not need two running at once (requires 50amp), I'd like to keep existing connections.

Thanks,
E
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson
Has anyone done the dual AC installation on this model year or close to it? I had Rick at Oasis take a look and he called airstream with the serial number and they said it was not factory wired for a second unit but did not actually look. He had a couple options, both involved new main wiring. A) new 50 amp service, B) second 20 amp wire. Neither at first blush sounded all that palatable.

We did the old airstream pressure cooker last summer here in the land-o-sun and would like to avoid a repeat.

Just looking for ideas and options. I would be real nice to keep the 30 amp and use the 5 button control to just switch zones and use one at a time and close off the front section when sleeping. 34' is a lot to cool, but we do not need two running at once (requires 50amp), I'd like to keep existing connections.

Thanks,
E
This simplest and most practical way to have 2 AC's in a trailer, is easy.

First, leave the original as is.

Second, make a complete separate installation for the second AC, with separate wire etc.

In that way, you have not modified anything, you added to the systems. With separate wiring and cable for the second unit, you can use it, as you wish, without any interference
with any of the other systems.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Andy is correct. Im my 34 we had a second AC and it had it's own cable. That seems like more hassle but was easy because you only have to bring it out during that ultra hot time. Most of the year, one does it fine.
Jimminey Christmas, Tucson sucks in the summer but rocks in the winter. I love that place and would live there if everything didn't prick and bite.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi Andy,
I have also contemplated such an installation in my 34ft trailer. Would the wiring for the 2nd a/c unit need the 30 amp rv plug or could you use a 20 amp plug . The reason I am asking is some of the parks in this area only have one 30 amp service plug with two 20 amp plugs in a power box. Thanks Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
This simplest and most practical way to have 2 AC's in a trailer, is easy.

First, leave the original as is.

Second, make a complete separate installation for the second AC, with separate wire etc.

In that way, you have not modified anything, you added to the systems. With separate wiring and cable for the second unit, you can use it, as you wish, without any interference
with any of the other systems.

Andy
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Andy,

Thanks for the input. I can easily see a second breaker box in the back cabinet, where does the second wire come out at? I think this was option B.

E
Old 04-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Andy is correct. Im my 34 we had a second AC and it had it's own cable. That seems like more hassle but was easy because you only have to bring it out during that ultra hot time. Most of the year, one does it fine.
Jimminey Christmas, Tucson sucks in the summer but rocks in the winter. I love that place and would live there if everything didn't prick and bite.
68, what does your external wiring look like. Where is the second wire, etc...

Yes it can be a bit hot. But we like it that way but only if the AC works.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson
68, what does your external wiring look like. Where is the second wire, etc...

Yes it can be a bit hot. But we like it that way but only if the AC works.
Use a 30 amp cable, just like you presently have for the trailer.

Have the new cable exit the trailer at the same place the present cord does.

DO NOT use a 20 amp cable.

AC"s are very voltage senstive.

With the above set up, you will be universal, by have a 30 amp cord for the new AC, as well as the trailer cord.

That will give you first class service for the more modern trailer parks.

If the park has a 30 amp and 20 amp outlet only, then simply add a 30 to 20 amp adapter to the AC cable.

That would make any hookup for your second AC, a snap.

Make sure you use a separate "breaker panel" for the
second AC.

I would suggest that you use a 30 amp breaker, instead of the usual 20 amp. You will be drawing a lot of power from the park outlets. When you run the first AC, the voltage will more than likely drop a little. Therefore when you run the second AC, the start current will be a little higher than normal.

Or have a 30 and a 20 amp breaker in the new box.

You can then switch the wires in the new box, to see if you can get away with a 20 amp breaker for ther second AC, on a real hot day. If it blows then switch the wire to the 30 amp breaker.

In either case, you would be covered.

My suggestions are using the "kiss" principles.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
KISS is good. We did buy an auto transformer for the very issue of voltage you speak of and in some parks it is activated pretty much all the time.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with it, that is basically what Oasis layed out as their B plan, I am still in the disappointment stage for the unit not being pre-wired for upgrade. The practical side of me is saying that if we have any intention at all of ever using our AS in the summer anywhere but in the mountains in the summer, then there is absolutely no question that it will need a second AC.

Thanks again for the great input.
E
Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet The KISS Principle

The additional 30 amp setup is my plan B based on Andy’s advice to me on the same topic. I have a 1983 34’ Excella in Little Rock and not only is it hot, it is humid in the Summer. Plan A is here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ead-40795.html. I will evaluate how the new 15,000 Btu unit performs this summer before I jump off the 2nd AC end of the pool. KISS in action again.

Best of luck!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks VS. The heat did us in last summer and we had just upgraded to 15k BTU, it was just not enough, but those were unusual circumstances under which I doubt we would use the AS again. Let me know what your experiences are and I am going to check out the link, thanks for the info.