Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
Tech Source

2006 22' International CCD
Pleasant Shade , Tennessee
Post Twin Bed Replacement

Ok, I like my '94 Excella and the room in it is great, but those twin beds have to go and the front fold down is only an option for so long. So starts my replacement of the twin rear beds to a Queen.

Not sure on inserting photo's so guess this will be logged verbal.

First thing I did was to take photo's of current configuration and details, just incase I wanted to put it back (won't happen). Also made a measured drawing of each part of the supporting 'box' as it does have two sections:
1. Section one is the outside storage box - special note that it does not have a top so any smelly item you put in these will get into the bedroom area.
2. Section two is the bin storage area under the bed - this does have a storage comparment that you can only access by lifting the bed
Be sure to note that the 'lid' to the box area is on short hing to aid in lifting.

So here is plan:
Remove both box and beds.
Replace Section 1 of both sides with solid box and put solid top on it.
Build new single section 2 across from both Section 1 to create new trailer wide bin box storage. (Not sure about 'hidden' storage replacement yet)
Build two small two drawer chest to fit on top of Section 1 on each side, keeping it under window but adding nice storage like old center single drawer.
mdyeargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Tech Source

Day Two

Day two went well, removed center drawer (located over rear storage between beds) and both under bed boxes. Was a plesent easy task as each only had screws and was removed with little effort.

Found carpet was now two colors as center run had been replaced while under box was original. Like original color better. Made detail drawing and found that all box could be cut to 16.25", so started making cut list on 4'x8' sheet 1/2" plywood of berch as Lowe's and Home Depot didn't have oak. Will have to stail to match oak . Did get them to rip it for me so all I have is cross cuts. Also purchased Kreg Jig to help with assembly, this should make it go much faster than air nail and glue up, will use glue still but tested joints and glue is optional.

So much for day two, cutting and measure took my 2 1/2 hrs of daylight.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Sounds like a plan - pictures would be great. Keep us informed.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hey, super project! If you don't want to go through posting photos using the forum's software, just get one of those "image warehousing" sites to do it. The you only paste a link, but it appears as a photo. Simple to do, no worries about image size.

I like photobucket.com, but there are several good onesa round. Here's an example:

Old 09-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
did you redo those cabinets Aage? they look great!!!
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
heck no, red. They are nice though, aren't they? I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it was someone on here that did them. They even used the countertop finish on the front of the refer!

I kept the photos as an example of how nice the AS furniture can look, if you do a good job.

Sorry, mdyeargin, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
yes sorry mdyeargin

one thing to consider about the twin to queen change is the overhead cabinets. i saw some redesigns when i was looking and it was hard not to bump your head on the overhead cabinets when you walked around the bed. i think most ppl remove the overheads too.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Tech Source

Day 3

(Photo's to be put on my web site later www.yeargin.com some time this week I hope)

Well, the side cabinets went in and by using the old cabinet as a pattern I was able to get the size correct but failed to realize the lift cover was curved, so when I put the top on the cabinets it has a slight gap, to be fixed by cove molding later.

I did consider removal of over head cabinets to have a walk around and looked at the option of cross mounting and keeping the under bed 3 (not standard 2) bin storage. I also have to consider the outside doors for side storage cabinets, so side walk around was not option without rebuild of entire back end outside and inside.

Final design selected was bed going left to right (not standard back to front) keeping 3 bin under bed storage (only lose 1 bin). Relize this means one person crawls over other, but read next update to find out more.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
This is something that I have wanted to do ever since our parents gave us the trailer. There have been many threads about this but nothing definitive. I have the brochures from our model year of trailer so I have a general idea of how Airstream did the layout and I wanted to follow that as much as possible. This way I could keep storage areas from both of my side access doors.

Luckily I know a member of Airforums (Condoluminum) that has a 1988 trailer that has the single bed. I contacted John for some photos of his bedroom layout and he graciously sent them. I hope he is OK with me posting them here, there is nothing secret about them though (except maybe that radio!). So here they are. They might help you with some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	105-0576_IMG.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	87158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	87159  

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	87160  
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I mentioned previously about having the original brochures. Here are the scans for my 25' model for both the rear twins and the rear double. It is helpful to compare them when planning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	25a.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	87171   Click image for larger version

Name:	25c.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	87172  

Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Tech Source

Day 4

Great idea about the offset to the side, we looked at that option prior to going with the side to side and the issue was bed size. I'm 6'4" and like the added room of the queen size and it just wouldn't give the side walk around floor room you have with a standard. Love the photo's and nice work. One thing did catch my eye, rear storage compartment size? 34' has side and rear, did that setup have a rear storage and if so how small was box?

Back to the subject, day 4 found many opportunities to figure out how to make this thing work. We have two AC outlets, one DC outlet, and a TV connection in the old 'night stand' area that was a bump out of the rear storage box. I designed the new bin area to allow the one AC and DC/TV to be on the right side with a single AC on the left side. Just have to find those wire stretchers as they are about 6" short. Will work on doing rewire later, just laid them in wire run area for now.

New fun, found the heat vent box must be redone as it is 8” longer than the new side storage box. This vent box is between the left storage box and the row of closets. No big deal to add as long as you have a 4” hole cutter. But next time it should be built in as part of the side storage box and not an add on. (what did I just say….next time… their will be no next time)

Now all boxes are in place time to cover, but wait doing a measurement I find the width of the under bed bin storage is 5’ ¾” and that means a cut sheet of plywood (now I want to just use the offset bed idea more). This will leave a trim needed to bring all to the same level. How I do miss my CAD days where I did all this on the computer first and it all fit.

Still working on getting photo’s uploaded.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Tech Source

OK, here is the link to the photo's Airstream1
Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
Tech Source

Day 5

Well having to deal with rain and more rain is delay and more delay. Found better way to design and redo, it's called craft paper. Still have to put final cover over curved area, so made template and this helps cut and transport from home shop. This would have also help to do the measurements to do pre-design work.

All said and done, I'm now trying to find the correct color of finish to use to match current wood work. I'm going to use both Oak (not sure if should use Red or White?) and Birch plywood. The trick is going to be to get the color close on the Birch, but as Oak plywood is not easy to find at local home supply store and Birch is, you work with what you have.

Hope next update will have base complete and start working on 3 sided night stand.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Tech Source

Day 6

Don't you know it, video card went out of PC so been down a week. The base is now cut and the craft paper works great when doing new builds and shop is 17 miles away.

Can anyone tell me if the right angle brackets are needed for stability of the storage box top or are they for some other function (i.e. wall stability). I think it's just for the support of the box top and if this is true then the rubber seal I'm going to put around the whole thing will cause me to move the support inside the box and not on top.

Should be able to get the second page of photo's updated on the link and get some new since the rain stopped last weekend after 3 weeks.

Tags
rear redesign, twin replacement