Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia

If everything is in good shape, the equipment works and the floors are solid (rotted floor is a sign of leaks), I would think 10K is reasonable.

Our is a '97 34'. The floor is plywood not OSB. The ceiling did fall due to an OSHA mandated adhesive change. (The OSHA approved adhesive breaks down at 97f. Try keeping the inside temp below that in storage!) We had screws and buttons installed in the entire ceiling (not just the saggy part) and it looks good. I haven't seen any evidence of separation (even though I have drug the tail a couple of times by accident)

Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1986 32' Excella
Lumberton , Texas
I have an 86 32' Excella and would not take for it. Yes it did have some problems but mostly due to previous owner neglect. All exterior / structural seems to be in good condition. Replaced all upholstery, repaired floor in two areas, replaced toilet, and now it is like new. Not bad for a 25 year old model. Best of luck in your search for a home away from home.

kellywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1986 34' Excella
Patrick AFB , Florida
Thanks for the input so far and we will look at the cielings. I have noticed they are very sticky. I was thinking someone may have fried food during their stay but I believe it may be the adhesive you're talking about. It may be bleeding through. Great feedback and again, thank you. I hope to hear more. This site is excellent so far!
Foevrluvinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
Originally Posted by ernesto ca View Post
I have the same problem with that drooping ceiling ..What kind of plastic lattice strips are you referring to because I would like to fix it. the spray adhesive did not work...thanks ernesto
I went to Lowes and got some white plastic strips 8' long and cut them to fit arched across the interior. I fastened them with white screws through the inner aluminum shell. it held the vinyl in place very well and looked neat. Cost was less than $20.00 ant the time was less than an hour. Lowes calls the plastic strips "lattice strips." They can be cut with a razor knife very easily.
Why settle for anything less?
1995 34ft Classic Excella 1000
2012 Kings Ranch F-250 FX-4, 6.7 diesel, 6 speed auto trans.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
A 1986 Excella will have the vinyl laminated ceilings and will eventually get sticky due to the "spewing" of the plasticizer. This is covering in a number of other threads and can be cured by properly cleaning the ceiling and then sealing it with "Future" acrylic floor polish.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
34' have there own set of issues due to the added weight and the third axle, but our 1998 31' Excella, has plywood floors and hasn't had any issues with the ceiling padding falling. I don't know of any other long term issues, except maybe the water that collects in the storage box on the tongue, which causes them to rust out.

damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
I have a 95 - 34' Limited that I bought in 2003 and have not had any problems. No drop ceiling nothing that the Oregon coast didn't cause. It is for sale and you can see the pictures showing it has held up very well. We also had a 92 - 32' and it was great. I have heard the story about the "last good year was?" but that year has moved around. Do your homework and have the AS thoroughly checked out and stay on the maintenance
lmcatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #22
1995 28' Excella
Charlotte , North Carolina
Can the VIN number be used to provide specs on an AS such as type, length, etc.
unimoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #23

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Originally Posted by unimoged View Post
Can the VIN number be used to provide specs on an AS such as type, length, etc.
Yes, once they started doing so they always encoded that info. The pattern changed at least once. There are quite a few people on here who can decode a vin from memory.

It'll tell you which series (International, Land Yacht, Excella, etc.), what length (nominal, not actual), which layout (double, twin, rear-bedroom, etc.), where it was made and the production number.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
1995 28' Excella
Charlotte , North Carolina
Did a web search and found a PDF document that helps break down the VIN. Mine encodes as follows: center bath split, excella, narrow body, 28 ft made in 1995.
unimoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #25
Retired! dam it.
1995 34' Excella
bonaire , Georgia
1995 34' Excella

Okie dokie, this is my first post. I bought mine at an estate sale. The interior was decent enough the exterior was repaired by an amateur. I had seen some other AS that the PO had "modified" by putting in special cables/wires, sloppy rearrangements of the interior, new flooring installed, not maintained the AS in the general maintenance department AND expect top dollar. PFFFT! Anyhoo, I finally drove it to a repair shop (apparently there are less than a handful in Georgia) 181 miles away. I never drove a heavy trailer before soooo, I had to learn ,on the fly, how to use the brake controller. FUN, FUN fun....not! Driving from macon through atlanta with a 8000# trailer at around 5-6pm on I-75 is harrowing. I see why 18 wheelers get so angry at 4 wheelers. I drove about 55mph the whole way up there since I didn't want my trailer to push me in to the rear end of the car in front of me (I had lots of space in front of me). Also, i was trying to get the brake controller working at the same time....sooooo, every time I hit my brakes the trailer would push the TV a bit and I could feel it swerve the TV a wee bit. I finally got the brake controller got less scary after that.

MY thoughts on extensively Modified AS by amateurs: Dont do it!!!!!!! you change the configuration from what is designed by a professional....chances are you aint one. Its ok to remove and replace bits that need it over time. However, a modification from the original design has unintended consequences for the amateur. Besides the buyer of your completed amateur project is looking at you sideways thinking dark thoughts and shuddering at hidden problems that were introduced during the modification. BAD JUJU!!

MY thoughts on travel companions: Test them. take them on a small trip (inexpensive). If you want to throttle them before the trip is over, DO NOT invite/marry/or continue to date such a person. Get rid of them. They can be a boon to your supposedly fun AS experience. Anyone ever have the privilege of having to deal with an unpleasant passenger while towing your multi ton AS? Not FUN at all. AND it gets worse at the destination (kids included).

That said, I love my AS. AND, soon, will be living in it full time after the sale of my house. Hey! no more increasing property taxes, insurance rates, or mortgage every month.
USS Yorktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
what is the rub rail/where is it so I can see if my 89 34ft has front end separation.
ASTailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
We have a 1990 34 ft & no problems other than general maintenance expected on a 26 year old trailer - tires, brakes, new air & will put on new axels this year. Just got back from a 5,000 mile trip last week.

skitique is offline   Reply With Quote