Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Dan's 34' Makeover

We bought a 1995 34' in December, 2014. I went to Michigan to pick it up in some wintry weather and made it back to Virginia ok. Here is a link about the trip to Michigan:

I have done a little work on it, but it has basically been sitting in storage for the last 8 months while I have been camping in the Tradewind, recovering from partial knee surgery and doing family stuff. I am now ready to start thinking about doing a makeover on the 34'.

There were some repairs that were needed. These are listed below:

1. Replace the electric jack- completed.

2. Repair the stairs- completed.

3. Replace the refrigerator (RM-3807) cooling unit- on order

4. Re secure the vinyl ceiling covering that is falling down- still in the
evaluation stage.

5. Install 6 new alauminum wheels and tires- completed.

6. Install two new batteries- completed.

7. Repair the tv antenna. It will not crank up and down- not completed.

8. Re attach all of the rubber lower beltline molding that has come loose- not

Here is a list of items that we want to redo to make this 20 year old trailer like new or at least have it look at work the way we want it to:

1. Replaced the Sony cassette radio with a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT. This is an up to date unit that plays CD's and can play music transmitted via bluetooth from my cell phone or mp3 player. We bought it from Amazon for about $120, a real bargain.

2. Out with the gold and in with the silver/nickel- We are in the process of changing out all the gold light fixtures and replacing them with nickel finish light fixtures. We have started this task but are not finished yet. I am not sure how to change the shower door from gold to silver. Anybody had any luck just painting it? More on this latter.

3. Replace the two skylights with Maxim units.

4. Replace the toilet with china toilet that has a higher seat height.

5. Replace the kitchen counter, sink and faucet.

6. Replace all the blinds. The bedroom blinds are aluminum. The living room blinds are fabric with too much blue. We may go to cellular blinds, like we used in the Tradewind. What have others done that works well?

7. Replace all the drapes- too much blue.

8. Replace the sofa with two recliners- Probably either Villa Lift or Lambright. Covering will probably be ultra leather or real leather.

9. Recover the dinette soft goods to match the recliners.

10. Remove all carpet and hardwood and install new wood flooring. we are planning on installing recycled 1/2" heart pine flooring. It will provide a nice contrast to the oak cabinets.

11. Build a cabinet between the two recliners that matches the other furniture/cabinets (oak).

12. Replace all incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs.

13. Replace the converter. Thinking about going with a Magnum converter recommended by Lewster.

14. Paint the roof white to help seal against leaks and to reduce the interior temperatures in the summer and reduce the air conditioning load.

15. Install a flat screen tv in the bedroom and the living room.

16. Possibly install a door/screen next to the toilet so it is not so visible from the kitchen. Any ideas? What have others done?

That is about all I can think of. So what do you all think? What have I missed that you would recommend doing? Thanks for any and all feedback.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Great start !

50 amp? Dual ACs? Replace rubber LP HOSES.

Replace window, door and hatch gaskets.

Check for leaks?

Install new King antenna ?

Check/replace waste valves?

Axles and brakes and breakaway switch?

Install LED lighting on top of valence and front upper storage run with LED drivers so you can "set the mood" ...ER... Night lights for grandkritters.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote