Old 02-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I think Barb was surprised at how much useless stuff was in it. I was. Jack accurately described how a lot of that stuff got there.

I've really tried to keep things small and light, with the 4-cup vs 10-cup Mr. Coffee, 1 quart vs 3 quart crock pot, mini vs full-size food processor, hand vs big Kitchen Aid mixer, manual hand vs electric can opener, Dirt Devil vs larger vacuum, tiny folding travel iron vs full-size, and the nesting pots and pans set on top of the cast iron frying pan (gotta have) on top of the Air Bake cookie sheet in the oven, along with a couple of can pans, a pie pan, pie crust protector, and pizza stone.

We bought an iPod to keep from having to carry CDs, and a tiny battery-powered Canon i70 printer (they're up to the i90 now). I try to get "books" on CD versus printed, where possible, for example the Service Manual for our F250, campground guides, etc.

A rack (actually two) for Pendaflex hanging folders fit perfectly sideways in the sofa drawer, but we could drastically reduce the amount of paper carried along by following one of the suggestions here by someone else to scan them and put them on CD-ROM.

I too like having a full tank of good freshwater should we come across a campground that would otherwise be suitable but have funny tasting/smelling water. It also helps keep the center of gravity low.

Speaking of that, storage should consist of light items high, heavy items low to help keep CG low. That especially goes for the bedroom overhead where weight would have the most influence on sway. It's a perfect place for down coats (highly compressible). Keeping the weight in overhead cabinets down also reduces their chance of pulling out of the wall should you hit a big bump. Canned goods and drinks, as well as flour, sugar, etc goes low.

Boxes are real space hogs, and certainly don't fit well in Airstream overheads. Even at home, we take crackers, cereal, etc out of their boxes. Pasta goes in zip lock bags. Heck, lots of stuff does. We hate boxes.

As much as I love beer, it's a real space and weight hog compared to hard liqour, especially considering the room it takes up in the RV refrigerator. Developing a taste for the hard stuff neat, with no ice, can save some storage and weight. Barb still has to have ice in mixed drinks though.

Having to bring along bottled water, in addition to that in the tank, is also a space and weight problem. That's where a good sanitizing routine and filtering system is important. Having to use bottled water for cooking, brushing teeth, etc adds to these problems. Having a large supply of good drinking water will also let you make Kool-Aid and tea. The packets and tea bags are also lighter and easier to store (the latter in a zip lock bag, LOL).

Anyway... full-timing in an Airstream versus the 3,500 lb NCC white boxes can certainly be done. You just have to be a bit more minimalist and flexible.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe [b
I love beer[/b], it's a real space and weight hog compared to hard liqour,
First Moe, I'm very glad you both decided to keep your 34 footer. It's a beauty. I was shocked when you made the announcement that you were gonna put it out to pasture. We felt very similar when we traded our old Bambi, though we upgraded to a Safari, we still think of that Bambi often.

As for beer, I love it too. I found that getting some good stuff like the trappist quads tend to take far, far fewer to achieve the same effect, and they taste pretty darn good compared to MGD, Bud, Coors or any of the domestics...... saves weight and space too....except for in my wallet...but hey, we're all millionare Airstreamers right?

BTW, I totally agree with water filter gear. The water we fill comes from Lake Michigan and is filtered and treated by two municipalites before coming to us. We then filter it again as we fill, filter it again with the on board filter built into the moen and then place it into a Brita which we keep in the fridge...comes in hand after a night of trappists and without a hint of any cholrine taste, etc.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Twink, I like filtering water that's going into the tank too, but the problem with that is that it removes some of the chlorine, and I like to have tanked water chlorinated. I add at least one teaspoon of Ultra Clorox per 1/3 tank I'll be filling before filling through a filter. The Moen filter takes the taste out pretty well, and I'd bet the Brita would finish the job.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Cool

Moe - Thanks again for a great bunch of suggestions to lighten the load. I hadn't thought about keeping heavy stuff lower.

See, you need to be here. If for no other reason but to have someone for us novices to go to for advice.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
You're welcome, Beth. Also keep as much heavy stuff as you can over the axles or forward of that. Not only does that help prevent the tongue getting too light and contributing to sway, but it reduces the load on the overhanging rear end, and might help prevent sag back there. Some slightly behind the axles shouldn't hurt, but try to minimize it very far back.

--
Moe
Old 02-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
Twink, I like filtering water that's going into the tank too, but the problem with that is that it removes some of the chlorine, and I like to have tanked water chlorinated. I add at least one teaspoon of Ultra Clorox per 1/3 tank I'll be filling before filling through a filter. The Moen filter takes the taste out pretty well, and I'd bet the Brita would finish the job.
Not a bad idea, I would think that would help kill off anything nasty in the tank. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #21

Well, at least I achieved one thing with this thread. I've got to take Moe's AS34 off my prospects list!

Thanx to Toairishuman for tips. I have now had Airstream confirm that the 05 models have uprated axles, no chassis change, so that is a good thing. Will look into the cost of retrofitting uprated axles. The weights table takes a little searching but it is there but no GVWR before 96 Guess they didn't have to rate them back then.

It also looks like the lack of exterior storage means a pickup instead of an SUV, and that is not a good thing. I like my AWD SUV and would like to keep same but a little larger, but it looks like a 2500/250 CrewCab SB 4x4 with cap on box for all the "stuff". The other half thinks if we have to go for the big truck maybe we should look at larger white box with slides. Hmmmm....

I would have liked to had more posts with info on actual weights and any negative consequenced fom overloading but I thinkk its safe to assume most are at least 1000lbs over GVWR and no "tail assemblies" laying about on the interstates.

Thanks to all and.....Moe - are you SURE you don't want to sell???
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. It is one of the few that I have read completely. I also have a 34 ft. and like Moe I can not bear the thought of not having it. We bought it for just the two of us and utilize it so that I don't know if we could have used one even a foot smaller. Some of the best times of the year are on our trips. We have gone several times this year.

TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote