Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1994 - 1996 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Air conditioning in the back?

Okay, so we love our 1995 30', but we're having trouble getting enough A/C in the bedroom at night. Our trailer has the bathroom that's across the entire aisle (30W front lounge with freestanding dinette in here).

When we're camping alone, we close the bathroom door at the kitchen to keep the cat out. This leaves the bedroom warm.

When we have a guest, we also close the bedroom door. This leaves the bedroom outright hot. Yes, the guest has to deal with the cat.

During the last trip, we picked up a couple fans and put one on the floor in the bathroom, aimed toward the bedroom (blowing through the crack in the doorway), and a clip on fan shoved into the gap above the bedroom door. The clip on fan helped some, but it could be better.

Anyone have suggestions for this?

I've been considering building a 'rack' of 3 or 4 computer case fans (example) across (they run on 12 volts) that I can somehow hang above the doors in front of the gaps to help move air to the back. It wouldn't be any worse than the clip on fan...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The 30' has had a 2nd rear air conditioner as a factory option for some time. You may be able to add a 2nd air conditioner if you want although it's expensive and a fairly major undertaking.

I have two air conditioners and the trailer remains consistently and evenly cool at night. Still not quite enough cooling in the sun though.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I've been considering building a 'rack' of 3 or 4 computer case fans [snip] that I can somehow hang above the doors [snip] to help move air to the back.
I'm not an HVAC guy... but the potential problem I see with that is that since warm air rises, you may be moving the least preferable air into your bedroom.

I wonder if you wouldn't be better off having the fans blow out into the main space, and removing (yikes?) an inch off the bottom of your door. At least, that seems to be where I feel cool air coming from when standing outside an air conditioned room.

Guessing you don't have a roof vent in the bedroom, as the only other idea I'd have is to somehow make your little fans self contained so you could attach them to your bedroom window... and exhaust the hot air to the outside.

At least in all your scenarios, the cat stays cool! Good luck.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
When camping alone, how about using a pet gate to keep the cat out, instead of the door? That will allow the air to circulate. Not sure what to do when you have company unless the door in question could have some louvers installed.

I have seen Airstreams and other RV's with a second A/C unit above the bedroom but I can't imagine trying to sleep with it running. Our unit above the galley is loud enough on low speed, acceptable out there, but I'm too light a sleeper to have one in the bedroom.

Also considering that the A/C units blast out a lot of air, in the small bedroom with the curved walls I'd think the cold swirling wind would be too much to be comfortable. I'm picturing a snow globe effect of any bedside tissues or lightweight sheets, though I know it wouldn't be that bad.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
I'm not an HVAC guy... but the potential problem I see with that is that since warm air rises, you may be moving the least preferable air into your bedroom.
Yeah, I've thought of that - but it's nearly a direct shot from the A/C unit itself. If you stick your hand up there you can still feel a cool breeze.

Quote:
I wonder if you wouldn't be better off having the fans blow out into the main space, and removing (yikes?) an inch off the bottom of your door. At least, that seems to be where I feel cool air coming from when standing outside an air conditioned room.
That makes sense! There already is a fair-sized gap at the bottom of the door.

Quote:
Guessing you don't have a roof vent in the bedroom, as the only other idea I'd have is to somehow make your little fans self contained so you could attach them to your bedroom window... and exhaust the hot air to the outside.
Well, we do, but if we're using the A/C I didn't think we'd want the roof vent open. Though you may be on to something there - keep it on exhaust on low speed...hmmmm....

Quote:
At least in all your scenarios, the cat stays cool! Good luck.
Yeah, lucky cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
When camping alone, how about using a pet gate to keep the cat out, instead of the door?
It'd have to be a pretty tall gate.

Quote:
I have seen Airstreams and other RV's with a second A/C unit above the bedroom but I can't imagine trying to sleep with it running. Our unit above the galley is loud enough on low speed, acceptable out there, but I'm too light a sleeper to have one in the bedroom.
We'd be okay with the noise, but it's not something I want to do - the only spot for it is where our only Fantastic Fan is, and I don't want to lose that, because on less-than-blazing-hot days, those things are magic.

Quote:
Also considering that the A/C units blast out a lot of air, in the small bedroom with the curved walls I'd think the cold swirling wind would be too much to be comfortable. I'm picturing a snow globe effect of any bedside tissues or lightweight sheets, though I know it wouldn't be that bad.
I'm thinking you'd just need the small one, like 11,000 BTUs. Still, the imagery has me laughing.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote