Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Skater's Avatar
 
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,016
Send a message via ICQ to Skater Send a message via AIM to Skater Send a message via Yahoo to Skater
Air conditioning in the back?

Okay, so we love our 1995 30', but we're having trouble getting enough A/C in the bedroom at night. Our trailer has the bathroom that's across the entire aisle (30W front lounge with freestanding dinette in here).

When we're camping alone, we close the bathroom door at the kitchen to keep the cat out. This leaves the bedroom warm.

When we have a guest, we also close the bedroom door. This leaves the bedroom outright hot. Yes, the guest has to deal with the cat.

During the last trip, we picked up a couple fans and put one on the floor in the bathroom, aimed toward the bedroom (blowing through the crack in the doorway), and a clip on fan shoved into the gap above the bedroom door. The clip on fan helped some, but it could be better.

Anyone have suggestions for this?

I've been considering building a 'rack' of 3 or 4 computer case fans (example) across (they run on 12 volts) that I can somehow hang above the doors in front of the gaps to help move air to the back. It wouldn't be any worse than the clip on fan...
__________________

__________________
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Wise Elder
 
Jammer's Avatar
 
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,598
The 30' has had a 2nd rear air conditioner as a factory option for some time. You may be able to add a 2nd air conditioner if you want although it's expensive and a fairly major undertaking.

I have two air conditioners and the trailer remains consistently and evenly cool at night. Still not quite enough cooling in the sun though.
__________________

__________________
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
bredlo's Avatar
 
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,349
Images: 23
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I've been considering building a 'rack' of 3 or 4 computer case fans [snip] that I can somehow hang above the doors [snip] to help move air to the back.
I'm not an HVAC guy... but the potential problem I see with that is that since warm air rises, you may be moving the least preferable air into your bedroom.

I wonder if you wouldn't be better off having the fans blow out into the main space, and removing (yikes?) an inch off the bottom of your door. At least, that seems to be where I feel cool air coming from when standing outside an air conditioned room.

Guessing you don't have a roof vent in the bedroom, as the only other idea I'd have is to somehow make your little fans self contained so you could attach them to your bedroom window... and exhaust the hot air to the outside.

At least in all your scenarios, the cat stays cool! Good luck.
__________________
Brad
bredlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
blickcd's Avatar
 
1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 385
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 29
When camping alone, how about using a pet gate to keep the cat out, instead of the door? That will allow the air to circulate. Not sure what to do when you have company unless the door in question could have some louvers installed.

I have seen Airstreams and other RV's with a second A/C unit above the bedroom but I can't imagine trying to sleep with it running. Our unit above the galley is loud enough on low speed, acceptable out there, but I'm too light a sleeper to have one in the bedroom.

Also considering that the A/C units blast out a lot of air, in the small bedroom with the curved walls I'd think the cold swirling wind would be too much to be comfortable. I'm picturing a snow globe effect of any bedside tissues or lightweight sheets, though I know it wouldn't be that bad.

Christopher
__________________
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Skater's Avatar
 
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,016
Send a message via ICQ to Skater Send a message via AIM to Skater Send a message via Yahoo to Skater
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
I'm not an HVAC guy... but the potential problem I see with that is that since warm air rises, you may be moving the least preferable air into your bedroom.
Yeah, I've thought of that - but it's nearly a direct shot from the A/C unit itself. If you stick your hand up there you can still feel a cool breeze.

Quote:
I wonder if you wouldn't be better off having the fans blow out into the main space, and removing (yikes?) an inch off the bottom of your door. At least, that seems to be where I feel cool air coming from when standing outside an air conditioned room.
That makes sense! There already is a fair-sized gap at the bottom of the door.

Quote:
Guessing you don't have a roof vent in the bedroom, as the only other idea I'd have is to somehow make your little fans self contained so you could attach them to your bedroom window... and exhaust the hot air to the outside.
Well, we do, but if we're using the A/C I didn't think we'd want the roof vent open. Though you may be on to something there - keep it on exhaust on low speed...hmmmm....

Quote:
At least in all your scenarios, the cat stays cool! Good luck.
Yeah, lucky cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
When camping alone, how about using a pet gate to keep the cat out, instead of the door?
It'd have to be a pretty tall gate.

Quote:
I have seen Airstreams and other RV's with a second A/C unit above the bedroom but I can't imagine trying to sleep with it running. Our unit above the galley is loud enough on low speed, acceptable out there, but I'm too light a sleeper to have one in the bedroom.
We'd be okay with the noise, but it's not something I want to do - the only spot for it is where our only Fantastic Fan is, and I don't want to lose that, because on less-than-blazing-hot days, those things are magic.

Quote:
Also considering that the A/C units blast out a lot of air, in the small bedroom with the curved walls I'd think the cold swirling wind would be too much to be comfortable. I'm picturing a snow globe effect of any bedside tissues or lightweight sheets, though I know it wouldn't be that bad.
I'm thinking you'd just need the small one, like 11,000 BTUs. Still, the imagery has me laughing.
__________________
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Yacht Dash Air DonaldW Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes 25 07-21-2011 07:48 PM
Air compressor silverdream2 Classic Motorhomes 9 06-22-2011 10:29 PM
Air suspension connection warrenivan General Motorhome Topics 4 06-09-2011 03:43 PM
Should I add wheels to the back bumper? Scott J-24 Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 12 04-04-2011 06:40 PM
Air horns on 390 XL jwitwer Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes 5 03-25-2011 07:49 AM





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.
Modal Click