Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1994 - 1996 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Advice on Purchasing 1995 Excella

Hi,

I'm new to the AirStream world and about to purchase my first one! I'm very excited. However, I'd like to make sure I'm paying a reasonable amount for the 1995 Excella. The seller is asking for $23,000. I looked at NADA but they can only give me a price, if I know all of the specs and features of it. Honestly, I don't know what half of them are. The Seller doesn't have a listing of all of the features. I've already gone and looked at the Air Stream and it seems to be in decent condition. I'd need to polish the outside and replace the weather stripping. However, I didn't test that all of the features are in working order like the stove, fridge, AC, leveling system etc..

Any advice on a reasonable price to pay for this and/or the main features to make sure are in working order?

Thanks!
Amy
Amers0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Price is always hard to guesstimate. A good resource is to look here in the classified section at what is listed for sale like the one you are admiring. Find a year and length similar and look at some pictures.

Then make a list and ask what works and what doesn't. When last used, repaired. A seller who doesn't know or won't answer may be avoiding. Ask for the story and you'll likely know more. If its been sitting for a while and hasn't been driven then that will likely be part of the story. If they claim they use it all the time but they don't know anything about how things work then that wouldn't make much sense. The more questions you ask the more you will know read a lot on these forums and you'll be armed with the questions that will make you a better buyer.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . another idea would be to contact a forum member nearby willing to do a walkthrough with you. . . .lots can be learned that way, & an experienced eye is REALLY helpful. (I bought my guy lunch after). . . The price/value thing is for you to decide, after learning as much as you can about the specific unit. . . . just an idea, Regards, Craig
Old 12-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
My first reaction is the price is high. Look at the classified section here on the Forum for a comparison.

1995 will most likely need axles. If house in Texas he clear coat will show it on the top. Smell is a great first indicator, cigarettes, water, mildew, dogs. if there is any indication of an air freshener turn and run.

What size is the trailer?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
It will probably need axles. If there is no angle between them and the frame they are shot.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Knowing the length would be a help in the pricing. 25's are pretty pricy. 34's are up there. 30-32's are probably a bit cheaper. Appearance of the interior and exterior and lack of serious defects are the big drivers of price. As is the Airstream experience and credibility of the seller. The appliances are pretty much replaceable or fixable and are somewhat important, but not as important as the general condition of the trailer. More important, in my mind, things to check for are dents, holes, etc in the skin, leaks and subsquent damage from leaks, the tanks and dump valves, windows, and corrosion on the frame. Thump the floor anyplace you can get to it, check in all the compartments for evidence of long term leaks and floor damage. Cycle the dump valves and look and smell for leaks. Check the A frame for bad rust. You can pretty much count on spending more money after you get it and start using it. At the least you will need tires, bearings, brakes.

Even if you enter everything in NADA you are still going to get a number that is a small fraction of what they typically sell for. NADA would be a great price to pay for an Airstream but it just is not going to happen for one in good condition.

I have 2 trailers made in 1988. So far I have not changed axles or polished one. I have done a lot of other work, some of which was expensive. We have replace airconditioners in both and a PO replace the refigerator in both. Both water heaters have been replaced. I replaced the A frame on one. One got new brakes.

My personal preference would be to spend more money up front to get one that needs less work, but the reality is that is a pure guess and you can spend more money upfront and still have to spend it later.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
We purchased a 1996 28' Excella this spring for $18,000 but we did by it from a close relative. That said we have taken it to Jackson Center twice for repairs/replacements. This summer we had both water tank valves replaced and the unit is currently at JC getting an exterior panel replaced (creased but not torn or leaking) and a new awning (the fabric was original and the hardware was difficult to operate sometimes). These repairs'replacements will run about $5,000 so our cost at the end of the year will be $23,000. We are retiring in April 2016 and are moving to Arizona with plans on camping six months each year. I am happy with what will be our finished product but if you Excella needs repairs in the near future I would certainly negotiate their asking price.

If you need any additional info or wants digital copies of any manuals let me know.

Happy camping!
garympeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amers0824 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the AirStream world and about to purchase my first one! I'm very excited. However, I'd like to make sure I'm paying a reasonable amount for the 1995 Excella. The seller is asking for $23,000. I looked at NADA but they can only give me a price, if I know all of the specs and features of it. Honestly, I don't know what half of them are. The Seller doesn't have a listing of all of the features. I've already gone and looked at the Air Stream and it seems to be in decent condition. I'd need to polish the outside and replace the weather stripping. However, I didn't test that all of the features are in working order like the stove, fridge, AC, leveling system etc..

Any advice on a reasonable price to pay for this and/or the main features to make sure are in working order?

Thanks!
Amy
I may be able to help you check it out, if it is local.
I do charge for my time, but it may save you a lot down the road.
PM me if you wish.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
We bought a used 1994 Excella 1000 which was in excellent shape in 1997 for about $35,000. Don't know what the 1995 is worth but be sure that there will be additional costs because these trailers do not stay 'new' very long. over the years, I replaced most of the appliances and air conditioner; replaced the curtains, and repainted the roof with ceramic paint after removing a leaking antenna base. There is still work to do and last time out, the front of the airstream started lifting off the chassis! I replaced part of the front floor and rug matting and resealed the front end. If I were buying a 1995 Excella I would be asking myself how much extra money I had to replace all the appliances, rug, tires, bearings, mattress, ceiling???, sewage system, converter, jack, etc. And, if married, I would make sure that the purchase of the used airstream was fully agreed upon because keeping momma happy in the airstream is a full time job!
delongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Run, it is too high, if good $10000 would be plenty, you can buy a new 28' artic fox for $35000., my 2 cents....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #11
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
if good $10000 would be plenty, ....
I would like a half a dozen "good" 1995 Airstreams at $10k each.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I would like a half a dozen "good" 1995 Airstreams at $10k each.
Might be fine if you are wanting a bunch of projects,I been there and done that...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #13
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
No, I would sell them at a profit and let someone else do the project....I agree that $10k should be plenty for a 20 year old Airstream. They just don't seek to sell that cheap, though.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Amy

If you do not know much about Airstreams, do not buy one without the help of an experienced Airstream owner, regardless of the price.

Look at lots of them to help you get a handle on the value and what you really want. It is kind of like looking for a mate.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #15
Ldytraveller

1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
I can appreciate your concerns. We just bought a 1990 29 ft. Excella for 22K. It is in great shape with appliances replaced 2 yrs ago as well as brakes, suspension etc redone in the same time frame. Outside is in great shape with clear coat done two yrs ago as well. All said we still had an issue with the front right stone guard coming loose and tearing the shell on our last trip. My husband is handy and can work with metals so we are fixing it ourselves. Take Dan's advice and have an experienced eye check things out for you. We were very lucky with our purchase. Wish you the same good fortune. Airstreaming is wonderful and there is a great support base for help and advice.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSowder View Post
It will probably need axles. If there is no angle between them and the frame they are shot.
A couple of you have mentioned the above. What "angle" are you specifically referring to?

We too are beginning to kick some tires and are thinking of buying a used AS 34 Excella with triple axles. FYI. I am a very experienced RV, having owned a few rigs of various types and brands since 1982. Pull trailers, fifth wheels and currently a Holiday Rambler Diesel Pusher. I'm kind of feed up with what I call the mediocre at best quality of nearly all RV's regardless of price point (when compared to the standards we expect from the auto industry for example).

I know what to look for in regards to systems, tires appliances, etc and do my own maintenance, upgrades and repairs. The comments about the axles and what to look for caught my attention. Also the comment about the front cap lifting off the frame was bit of an eye opener. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW: The two that I've located in CA are also priced at $23k.

Thanks,
Bruce L.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahargoue View Post
A couple of you have mentioned the above. What "angle" are you specifically referring to?

Ditto that. What angle?

I also don't know how anyone can comment on a realistic price without even knowing the length. A link to the ad or a C&P would be helpful. I've bought and sold plenty of recreational vehicles in my life and Airstreams are one of the harder products to put a number to. Even with ad copy and photos one is operating severely handicapped. A brief personal inspection is something that can't be removed from the pricing analysis.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote