Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1990 - 1993 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
A girl and an Airstream

1993 29' Excella
dunnegan , Missouri
What is behind those shower walls?

My 1993 needs a total bathroom overhaul. So if we take the entire bath out--walls included--what is behind these? Can my carpenter put this back together? Most importantly--how are these walls made?

Where do I get the walls, shower pan, etc? Would the shower pan fit through the doors without difficulty?

Also, I have that weirdo medicine cabinet over the toilet. Can that just be taken out? What is the round thing in the corner that the medicine cabinet is built around?

I know this is many questions but I don't want to start on this project until I know every detail. Anyone else complete a project like this? What would I be getting myself into?
missysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
_

. , .
post pictures of your current bathroom...

why does it need an overhaul (color, cracks, size)

what do you plan to replace?

everything INSIDE when through the main door, so yes it can all go out the door.

your shower stall is fiberglass OR coated wall boards with sealant and piping at the seams?

IF the fiberglass is worn, or cracked it can be repaired WITHOUT removal.

rv supply stores do sell shower wall board but most are prefab'd units now from fiberglass or plastics...

i would not have a 'carpenter' take out or restore a bath room area in an rv.

and messing with the shower walls means messing with the plumbing.

if you currently don't have plumbing leaks, that could change.

which walls are u referring to?

interior walls are wood or laminates and attached to the floor and RIBS/skin.

again post pictures and IF u are planning lots of changes in ONE trailer, consider starting ONE thread on the project...

it will be easier to follow the issues and progress.

also u might start reading some of the remodel threads or look in the section that is year/era specific for info...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
_

. , .
here's another idea...

it reads like u have the itch to do some remodeling...

OR pay someone else to do it.

-so make up a list of all the things u think u want changed.

-maybe make some line drawing or find some pictures of the changes...

-then sort out your BUDGET, be honest.

-then plan a little rv camping trip near searcy arkansas OR st louie, mo.

-and schedule an appt at either of these dealers, explaining that u want to do some upgrades and will bring the trailer in for a look/see

-at the service appt some1 will walk through your unit, review your potential upgrades and offer some suggestions...

and give you an ESTIMATE on the costs...

after u awaken from the sticker shock, u can decide what really really needs to be done.

rv remodels are like house remodels, mostly labor costs and underestimated by the owner...

but i sure wouldn't take anything apart without a plan to put it back2gether...

because that will REALLY after the value of 90s unit.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
A girl and an Airstream

1993 29' Excella
dunnegan , Missouri
I don't really have an itch--just a freak about a clean bathroom. The tub is yellowed and it all needs some updating. I don't have any storage room in there except a medicine cabinet that really seems to waste tons of room. I would like to take the upper cabinet out too for more head room.

I just don't know if I should refinish the shower pan, or just replace it. After 15 years of use, a bath this size is bound to have issues. It is showing it's age.

We will do one project a year on this thing. We have no reason to get rid of our streamer since we love it. We also have no plans whatsoever of replacing with newer, bigger etc. It's not like it has an engine to worry about or anything. Or does it???
missysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
All things in an Airstream will fit through the door! One of the rules from day one!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I'll just offer you these thoughts..
Depending on where your bathroom is located, the walls could be next to the hallway/refrigerator/bedroom/closet.
If you look at the side of the medicine cabinet, you will see it's part of the wall as well.(It is this way on many models.)
I believe the round thing in the corner next to the medicine cabinet is a cover for the vent pipe from on of your holding tanks to the vent opening on the roof.
For the purpose of water proofing and in the long run least worries, you might want to consider having a single piece custom made for the shower area.
I wish you all the best and, in any event check to see how you're making out..
53FC
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote