Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2003, 10:42 AM   #1

Question What are these switches doing_Excella 1990

I originally posted several questions about switches in a 1990 Excella 32'. They ended up all over the place, so I try again.
I suppose any Excella from late 80's to sometimes in the 90's will be set up the same. (it would be great to know what years major modifications were made)

_ my first question was:

The dealer told us that the switch in the bathroom, even though labelled "high/low", is not supposed to operate on low setting. (we have only one light switch by the sink). We have 6 bulbs framing the vanity, 3 on each side. They are a real power drain. We want to check the wiring to make it operate High AND Low.
I tugged on the switch, it did not come out. Before I break it, I want to make sure there is no special trick to removing it.

Any truth about that switch originally working only on high? We have discounted all info we received from this dealer as a lot of hot air.
The problem, as mentioned in my 2nd question, is the book is extremely inacurate on a lot of points.

_ The book mentions that the 2 ceiling ligths in the kitchen/living room operate with wall switch (OK), and the diagram shows an extra switch at the fixtures themselves.

The front fixture, (the one with the fan), does not have that extra switch.
BUT: the other one has a switch. It is wired, but doesn't do anything. Any idea ?

This time I have added a picture of this middle fixture with switch.

_ we had mentioned too being unable to find the switch to "toggle" between AC/microwave. It is not in the microwave pantry, it is not in cabinet over sink or any obvious location in any kitchen cabinets.
We can live without it, but it is just one more little mystery that I would like to solve.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mistery switch.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	1828  
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

On my Excella 1000, the following is true:

1. The bathroom light switch has a hi/off/low function. The hi lights all the lights in the bathroom (except the shower light) and switching to low cuts off the medicine/vanity lights, using only the lights above the sink. Works great.

2. The two large lights in the Living room work from the wall switch beside the door. The switches have a hi/off/low function too. The large light closest to the door does not have a separate switch (the one with the fan in it and the crank handle). I don't recall about the other large light. The smaller lights have individual slide switches. Not sure this helps.

3. The Microwave/AC switch is in the upper cabinet just to the left of the microwave. It looks like a standard home light switch. One way for AC and one way for Microwave. In our trailer, it is tucked into the side of the cabinet. If it was not labeled, one would think it was a switch for some lights somewhere. I can post a picture if it will help.
WBCCI #5725
1994 34' Excella 1000
2000 Excursion Diesel 4x4 with Banks Stinger Plus Power Pack and Exhaust Brake
cjholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:26 PM   #3

Thanks, Chris.

You helped a lot about the bathroom lights. Now, we know we were right, and we will make it work.

Ceiling lights: It looks like your fan is with the 2nd light from the front of the trailer. Ours, it's with the first one.
I think they may have wired some trailers for things which are not available on this particular model. We may never know why we have that switch by the light in front of the door.

Thanks for the offer of the picture of the AC/MW switch, but it won't help. Yours is pretty much were our book says it should be. We searched the cabinets pretty well. It is not there. Luckily, it's easy to live without it.

Thanks again
Old 04-24-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
yeah but,

"Luckily, it's easy to live without it. "

either your mw or ac will work.

do they both work?

if so, you must not have the switch.

then one would deduce the switch was installed between '90 and '92 since mine has one. or your trailer has been modified.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

>>Ceiling lights: It looks like your fan is with the 2nd light from the front of the trailer. Ours, it's with the first one.
I think they may have wired some trailers for things which are not available on this particular model. We may never know why we have that switch by the light in front of the door. <<

Did not mean to mislead you. The fan/light on my trailer is the one in the front (closest to the hitch).

I am going to look for the little switch on my other light. With the cover in place, it would be easy to miss. Do you have the hi/off/low switch on the wall beside the door for the two large overhead lights?
WBCCI #5725
1994 34' Excella 1000
2000 Excursion Diesel 4x4 with Banks Stinger Plus Power Pack and Exhaust Brake
cjholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:10 PM   #6

I guess our brains must have been on the blink !!!!

Yes, both work. We were so focused on looking for the switch the book said we had, that we did not think straight.
I don't believe it was removed (no holes,...). They had it in the book before they put it in the trailer.
Must be the same with our mistery switch on the ceiling light. It's all wired and going nowhere.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Do you have the hi/off/low switch on the wall beside the door for the two large overhead lights?
Yes, Chris, those are OK.

The switch in the picture is the puzzler: it is wired (didn't check yet if it was live), it's not mentioned in the operation of lights as explained in the book, but the wiring diagram shows one at each light. Only the one without the fan has it.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The original "HI-LOW" switch is no longer available.

It's purpose was to supply power to some bulbs in the "low" position, and to all the bulbs in the "high" position.

Airstream never used a toggle switch as shown in the photo.

Actually most any "good" toggle switch can be used, as long as it is a single pole, double throw, center off switch.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 04:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Airstream never used a toggle switch as shown in the photo.
Now the plot thickens !!!
We have at least one more like that, for a little light by the dump valve. Don't know if that light is original or not.
The one on the ceiling looks original (looks like it came with fixture) : it's wired, and does not seem to do anything. Plus:
Quote:
the diagram shows an extra switch at the fixtures themselves
According to diagram, both of those ceiling lights should have a switch (only one has it). Maybe AS had in mind to have switches there one day (as diagram states), started to install a few with switches, then changed their mind??? Weird.
I don't think the PO made any modification, at least inside. I have spent several hours today going through the kitchen & bathroom with a fine tooth comb. It looks to me like everything is original.

About the bathroom switch: it's possible the switch is OK. I have already removed the fluorescent fixture and we will replace it with an incandescent one, with extra switch at the light. This way, we will have 3 levels: very low, then full light over sink, and high will add the 3 bulbs by vanity (we will remove 3, 6 were really overkill).
Anytime we look, we find small weird details. I nearly wished we didn't have the book.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:15 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
You mentioned that turning on your lights is a bit a drain on your electrical system. True. Then there is the fact that the bulbs get hot and, in some cases, can melt holes into the plastic covers covering your lights. And then there is the color - sometimes one wants white light, not yellow light. Have you tried using LED bulbs to replace the convention bulbs? LED's run on 10% of the power needed for regular bulbs and generate 95% less heat and they last far longer. Although a bit pricey, they will help your batteries (juice) run longer. And LEDs tend to have whiter light output. I changed mine and couldn't believe the difference.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnCamper07 View Post
.... Have you tried using LED bulbs to replace the convention bulbs? LED's run on 10% of the power needed for regular bulbs and generate 95% less heat and they last far longer. Although a bit pricey, they will help your batteries (juice) run longer. And LEDs tend to have whiter light output. I changed mine and couldn't believe the difference.
I'm guessing you don't realize the question you're answering is from 2003. LED's weren't available until 2010
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
No, I didn't. I guess I started reading other people's replies and lost track of the date...
Old 06-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 32' Excella
Elma , Washington
So am I to Gather the fluorescent in my bathroom should run on 12 V
noremark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by noremark View Post
So am I to Gather the fluorescent in my bathroom should run on 12 V
I believe all original lighting in an AS runs on 12v.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote