Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Refrigerator Roof Vent

So far, I have caulked the 2 fantastic vents, the tank vent pipes, and antenna, and am questioning myself about whether I need to caulk/seal the penetration thru the roof for the refrigerator vent pipe. What do I need to do with this....looks like a huge job including drilling out rivets etc. Everything was in bad shape but I cannot see well enough to determine if I should take on this too.
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Do you mean the shroud that covers the fridge vent?

Can you post a picture so we can help evaluate?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Refrigerator/Roof Vent

Yes...but my concern is what is underneath and what has to be done to reseal the roof penetration ?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Refrigerator Roof Penetration

I do not want to remove that shroud until I know what is underneath it and what is involved to reseal it before I drill out the rivets holding the shroud over the refrigerator penetration.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryk View Post
Yes...but my concern is what is underneath and what has to be done to reseal the roof penetration ?
The shroud is intended to provide you a weather barrier for the fridge's roof penetration. It should be caulked along the weather (i.e., high) edge. Since that is apparently not your concern or question, why do you feel the need to "seal" the fridge's roof penetration? There ought to be a screen there to prevent entry by critters, has your screen been compromised?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Refrigerator Vent

I wanted to know what was under the shroud...thanks to you, I now think I know how to proceed. I just wanted to be sure its water tight. I cannot do a decent job without removing the top shroud. After I drill out those rivets holding the shroud and remove it, I will see a collar and screen. I only want to reseal around the collar under the shroud but the shroud should be removed to do a decent seal with trempro 635. Sound right ?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
I wanted to know what was under the shroud...thanks to you, I now think I know how to proceed. I just wanted to be sure its water tight. I cannot do a decent job without removing the top shroud. After I drill out those rivets holding the shroud and remove it, I will see a collar and screen. I only want to reseal around the collar under the shroud but the shroud should be removed to do a decent seal with trempro 635. Sound right ?
Hi Harry, I'm sure you are correct (although I've never actually removed the shroud myself to verify the precise configuration under it.) However, it would seem to me that if the shroud itself is watertight, sealing the collar around a screen opening would be kind of pointless, don't you think? Of course, if you are a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy, it certainly won't hurt!
Old 10-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
I want to seal the roof where the penetration first comes thru the roof...not the screen itself.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Venice FL

Hey Bob. If you get to Venice FL this winter, look me up.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Hey Bob. If you get to Venice FL this winter, look me up.
Harry, We actually will be in a rental house "on the island" from 1/5 ish until the end of April. Are you going to AlumaFlamingo in Sarasota?

PM me your contact information (including email) and I'll respond with mine. There is one other fellow in Nokomis that I've also met on the Forum and will be getting together with this winter as well.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Bill Kowalski told me you winter here...so Bill & I were talking on this forum & I realized that he lives close by. Now we help one another out. So you, Bill, & I will get together. Not sure about alumaflamingo yet. harryisoutfishing@comcast.net
Old 04-30-2015, 11:46 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
I have a similar issue... I need to replace the electric vent fan over the shower. The PO had the cover come off and then never did anything about it. We do get some weather but then it tends to be dry - no water damage but the fan is shot and needs to be replaced. There seems to be a huge amount of Vulkum that was used to seal the opening. And it's dry, baked on, and rather hard. It certainly is difficult to remove and I dare not use tools to help scrape the stuff off (may damage the metal). What can I use to remove the Vulkum, replace the fan, and then reseal the opening without harming the exterior finish? Any suggestions?
Old 05-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Gingerly use of tools is indicated. Tape off the roof area outside the Vulkem area to minimize risk of slip and damage, then go slow. The stuff is basically permanent.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:34 AM   #14
54 Flying Cloud

1967 20' Globetrotter
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Minnesota
I have a slow leak coming in from that same shroud cover/exhaust vent for fridge. Was hoping to seal this this weekend. Anyone else had leak coming down from inside shroud and want did you do to fix please? my plan is to clean around cover on roof and caulk.
KrisE MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Hint: sometimes, when I cannot get my caulk gun to fit into a tight or awkward space, I will attach a small piece of rubber tubing (surgical tubing works well) on the tip of the tube and use it to help me form a 'flexible elbow.' The length of tubing will depend on how close or far away the caulk gun is from the work area. You may be able to use this method to caulk around the vent without having to remove the vent cover.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Refrigerator vent leak

I did not do anything yet because it looks like a bigger job than I want to do until next winter...

It looks to me that the top cover has to come off which involves drilling out the rivets...then there will enough room to seal around the actual vent coming up thru the skin.
Just my opinion, but I think the cover must be taken off first ! There is no way of making a good seal without doing it that way.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
I did not do anything yet because it looks like a bigger job than I want to do until next winter...

It looks to me that the top cover has to come off which involves drilling out the rivets...then there will enough room to seal around the actual vent coming up thru the skin.
Just my opinion, but I think the cover must be taken off first ! There is no way of making a good seal without doing it that way.
I would agree. Same vent cover on my 1987 Avion. I just replaced mine Monday afternoon. I used Eternabond Alumibond sealant tape to reseal the top and side edges where the vent comes through the roof. I used ParrBond to seal the lower edge.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote