Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #15

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
There is a chance that the bottom on the wall just slid toward the centerline of the trailer and out of the channel. I had that happen on a '77 model, a good push and it slid back in place, a couple of screws, a bock of wood and it never moved again.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
No, there has not been any damage - no panels off. I asked the PO.

I'm thinking it is the tires - might have thrown off a weight on the trip home from Seattle to Cleveland. Though we tried to avoid holes and bumps in the road, sometimes they caught us unaware. I am going to take the trailer to the tire store and have the wheels balanced tomorrow morning.

Regarding the Centramatic - Would I order those and have them put on (or put them on myself)? Or does the dealership order them and install them?

I would love to think that those walls that have come away would 'slip' back into position....it would make me feel tons better......the wheel well is still cracked - I'll probably put some kind of tape on those cracks just incase they might leak water.

Note: You just had to see me pushing on the framework of those cabinets, and then outside trying to push the trailer back together - comical almost - trying to get those walls back where they belong.....this has me freaked out!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
PT Girl,

The Centramatic's are a pretty straightforward install. Important to have the inner mount flange of the wheels, (area around the holes), and the face of the brake drums clean so they install flush.
If you call the factory or Andy at Inland RV they will be able to recommend the right application.

They have been a great up-grade for us, you won't be disappointed if you decide on them.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Thanks Bob! I have a call into them right now - he's checking with the tech to see exactly which ones are for my trailer - I gave him the bolt hole measurement and count....I appreciate all the advice. I am such a novice......it is like swimming in caramel (like the commercial).
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
We are all a novice in something.....

Just wish I had known about this resource when we got our "first"....

You are going down the right road.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Jerry at Centramatic

Well, I had a long chat with Jerry at Centramatic. I've ordered the correct set of balancers for my Airstream - $199 for 4 - a deal if they solve this problem. I am going to wait until they arrive in 4 or 5 days and take them and the trailer to the tire store. I can't wait to see what the tires on the damaged side look like on the balancing machine. I'm thinking/hoping that this will be the problem.

I will have my list of things to have the tire store check (courtesy of Jerry), and hope to have THIS problem ironed out before too much time goes by. Hopefully the tires are round, the rims are round and undamaged, the tire belt isn't broken and the tire is centered on the rim. I'm going to have them check the tread depth, etc. I'm armed with information...I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for the input!
Liz
Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
HOSANNA!!!!

Good job Liz...

RLC

RLC
Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
With trailer axles - brake drums, the brake drums are a part of the balance, thats where so many of us get into trouble.

Its rare for a tire shop to be able to balance the drum/wheel/tire as a complete unit, thats why (I think) another poster above mentioned "road force balance" where they place a set of spinning rollers under one wheel at a time and balance the wheel installed... I've seen it done on top end BMW's before.

Otherwise its choosing the heavy spot of the drum, wheel and tire and having them 120° apart then adding weights as needed.

AND ONCE ITS BALANCED the tire-wheel to drum install has to be returned to the same lug orientation as balanced. A spot of paint on the lug and a spot next to it on the steel/alloy wheel... and remembering to match lug to spot if it ever is removed...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
A full fresh tank won't cause the cracks.

Quite a few here,(me incl) use the Centramatic system to keep the running gear in tune after balancing.
Are the Centramatic's easy to install at home? Any maintenance? Life expectancy of the product? About how much for 4?

Any downsides?

As you can see, you have me 'considering' the purchase of a set.

Thanks Robert.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113 View Post
Are the Centramatic's easy to install at home? Any maintenance? Life expectancy of the product? About how much for 4?

Any downsides?

As you can see, you have me 'considering' the purchase of a set.

Thanks Robert.
g113

PM sent.

Bout $200 for a 4 wheel set.

If they don't spring a leak...should last a good long time.

For us....no downside.

RLC

RLC
Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
The part number for the Airstream set of 4 is 200-22 SPECIAL - This is for the 6 bolt, 5 1/2" center to center bolt hole. Centramatic.com - 1-800-523-8473 - talk to Jerry - he knows all about the Airstream applications. Cost without shipping (+$15.00 UPS Ground) is $199.00.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Thumbs down Walls won't move back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
There is a chance that the bottom on the wall just slid toward the centerline of the trailer and out of the channel. I had that happen on a '77 model, a good push and it slid back in place, a couple of screws, a bock of wood and it never moved again.
I was checking out the damage in the trailer - NO WAY will those walls move back - I can't figure it out - it's almost like the lower outside wall moved away.......The top of the inside walls is right - the middle and bottom of the inner walls are away - more at the very bottom.....can't see where it 'slid' from the top or from the hallway framing - from the look of it, I'll have to live with the gaps and hope the trip to the tire store will stop any further damage.....(sigh).

What is so strange is that it is only happening on the street side - curb side seems fine.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Nothing more than changing a flat to install them. They just slip over the lug bolts and you are done. Just a flat piece of metal with a small pipe weld around the outer edge. The pipe is full of oil and small round shot.

Useful life is in the tens of years in places without salt, is my guess.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
The part number for the Airstream set of 4 is 200-22 SPECIAL - This is for the 6 bolt, 5 1/2" center to center bolt hole. Centramatic.com - 1-800-523-8473 - talk to Jerry - he knows all about the Airstream applications. Cost without shipping (+$15.00 UPS Ground) is $199.00.
Please be advised that the correct part number is 200-221 Special.

It's made exclusively for us, and cannot be sold by anyone from Centramatic.

You may check with Tooter Allred, the manager at Centramatic.

It's destgned exclusively for the 6 lug steel wheels.

Andy