Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1990 - 1993 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
revbec

1992 25' Excella
tacoma , Washington
Question plumbing issue

We have an excella '92- the grey water holding tank looks like it connects under the galley sink by a black pipe- and it was once glued with yellow gunk together- anyway, now there is a gap of 1/4" or so between the black pipe and the top of the hilding tank white pipe...water drips out onto the carpet by the furnace- I found a clamp- is there a piece to slip over both that would be flexible and help to make the connection? Am I missing something here? I am open to any suggestion- I hve fixed it currently by placing a baggie over the end of the black pipe- but it must be dumped often! Help please-
RevBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
not duct tape

Becca,

You could use a piece of "potable water" tubing or hose and a couple of hose clamps to cover the gap. Of course you will have to separate the two pipes to slide the tubing on. If you are lucky you might be able to find a hose or tubing with an inner diameter close to the outer diameter of the pipes you want to join. Still use the hose clamps though. You can find this type of tubing at an rv place but most likely a bigger variety at someplace like West Marine or Boaters World.

Happy Plumbing,

Henry
henrydahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
on the other hand...

Becca,

Just had a brain cramp a few minutes ago.....It is Grey water, which is dump water which doesn't need potable h2o tubing (though it will work) - Just go to HD or Lowe's plumbing section and you will find black rubber connectors with hose clamps already on them - again - check the outer diameter of the pipes so you can get the best fit.

Henry
Old 07-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
revbec

1992 25' Excella
tacoma , Washington
Question

Thank you Henry- the gap between the pipes is very small- about 1/4" at the highest end. I tried to use one of these black short rubber hoses I got at a RV place with clamps on it but could not get it over the pipes in that small space. Should I cut one of the pipes off and make it shorter? And there appears to be a copper gas line right in front of the black pipe- so I am a tad afraid to cut there for fear of knicking the copper gas line...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
Hmmmmmm hard to say......

Becca, A PVC saw can be controlled fairly easily and you could shield the copper. Have you separated the pipes Laterally and tried to slip the collar on on, realign the pipes and slip the collar over the other? Have you thought or replacing a larger section of pipe to make it easier to work with? Otherwise I'm stumped not knowing exactly haow much space or pipe you have to work with.
Henry
Old 07-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #6
Ledbehind

2018 16' Sport
Great Falls , Virginia
Hmmmmmm hard to say......

Becca, try a hand PVC saw, consider shielding the copper, think about cutting out a larger chunk of pipe to make it easier to work with, consider laterally separating the pipes and slipping the collar on one - realigning them and slipping the collar over the other. otherwise I'm stumped not knowing how much space you have to work with
Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
revbec

1992 25' Excella
tacoma , Washington
Thanks to all for the suggestions- actually got a better angle to it by removing the furnace duct thingy- that was just a matter of moving 2 screws, and then was able to slip the connector over both pipes and tighten the clamp...thank you very much for the help! I have found Airstreamers to really be a helpful community- what do SOB's do? Thanks again...
Old 05-01-2015, 12:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
I'm not certain, but those pipes should have been 1 1/2" diameter. If this is the case, this type of rubber connector (with hose clamps) can be found at virtually any hardware store in the plumbing section and are relatively inexpensive. These types of connections are used whenever the joint needs to have some flexibility to be easily taken apart at a later time. Luckily, you managed to do this repair without cutting the pipe shorter (I would not have recommended that). Just make sure you don't over-tighten the screws on the hose clamps and this could strip the mechanism and then the clamps are shot.