Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
1971 25' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Plastic Inside windows on my 34ft

Has anyone actually put in the plastic shrink wrap on their trailers? Was it worth it? What about the big wrap around window? Going up to Breck for the winter starting the 15th of November. I hope I don't regret it.
Joe
joelisac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Me too

I grew up & lived in a house built in 1908 for 38 yrs. Even with new insulation & windows, I still put the plastic up for winters. This is my 1st winter in Laverne as I just started fulltiming. I plan to put plastic up as there is a draft coming through the old single pane windows. The walls are covered with carpeting. The window trim is pulled tightly compressing the carpet well. I hope this will be a good enuogh seal so I can put the 2 sided tape on the trim. I've had good luck removing the tape in the spring when using Frost King brand. A few years i used a store?discount brands. This peeled the latex paint off the woo trim in the home. Just another reason to remodel for the missus. I'll respond to this thread in the spring as to this being a good idea or not.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have used the shrink-wrap window treatment on my ’67 Trade Wind’s windows in Arkansas and can say there was a difference. That said, I haven’t felt the need in my ’83 34’ Excella, but we are still in Arkansas.

In the ’67, I put the shrink-wrap around the screens creating an artificial storm window on the inside. Most noticeable on the window on the window right next to the bed. Worked very well.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
For some windows that you do not want to see out of, the use of the aluminized bubble wrap type insulation has worked for me. You could put shrink wrap over it to hold it in place and provide the draft seal for any window leaks. Most of the people who try to live in their Airstream over a cold winter report their biggest problem is condensation on the windows and walls. You need to get a dehumidifier to take all the moisture out of the air to stop that. The negative part of that is you will think you are living in a desert. Too bad you can not tow the Airstream to southern Arizona for the winter.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Clueless but willing

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Send a message via Skype™ to mamos
Hi All

Is there somewhere I can see detailed pictures or diagrams of airstream window construction?

I want to know if it is possible to use double glazed sealed units instead of the single pane windows

mamos
mamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Took a while to find it again but here is a kit that we used on a home that had single pane windows. The nice part about this one is you leave the plastic strips for use the next year - no sticky tape to pull off the walls.

Plastic Window Insulation
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I understand that regular clear bubble-wrap has been used as an effective window insulator, allowing sunlight through it. I read somewhere on-line that you cut the bubble-wrap to size, lightly moisten the surface of the window, and stick the wrap to it. They said medium or large size bubbles work best, not the smallest size. Best of luck wintering over, Mexico sounds better to me...
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamos View Post
Hi All

Is there somewhere I can see detailed pictures or diagrams of airstream window construction?

I want to know if it is possible to use double glazed sealed units instead of the single pane windows

mamos
Window types are somewhat variable by year and model. I've never seen detailed drawings of any of them. More to the point -- it is my opinion that the increased insulation of double glazing would not yield significant improvement in interior comfort or heating efficiency. It might help lower condensation on windows but the benefits are small after that.

Built up double glazed window units were tried by Airstream in some of the stationary glass a few decades back. Whether the available manufacturing or road vibrations were at fault, many of those units leaked eventually.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There are 2 factors when considering insulation.

The transmission of heat directly through the material and the transmission of heat around the material. Insulation is mainly just the retarding of air movement, and thus heat from point to point.

The best insulation in the world is useless if the edges are not sealed. An example of this is the use of block foam as around the tanks in an Airstream. The blocks of foam have voids between the individual blocks and thus offer virtually no insulation allowing heat to move freely between the blocks and between the blocks and the tanks.

What ever you end up using pay attention to the perimeter and seal it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 AM   #10
Clueless but willing

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Send a message via Skype™ to mamos
Thanks guys

It is condensation that is my primary concern. We live full time in a self built motor home and I fitted double glazed rv windows and have never had a problem with condensation however the wind shield is dripping with water and is a constant problem in winter.

mamos
mamos is offline   Reply With Quote