Old 02-05-2005, 10:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Not as you think in all situtations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vroom
It is extremely easy to bring an Airstream trailer into Canada. I bought it in the US with a transit permit,Richard
First not all states will offer transit permits - so a bill of sale notarized and a clear title is required. Also;
Some people forget that if you have a US address things are much easier to obtain transit permits - for those who do not have a US address you can not obtain these documents - unless you are using a false or relatives address.

Quote:
and if it is 15 years old, there is no duty, only Fed Sales tax of 8% on the value of the bill.Richard
It is not that simple as being exempt from the tax. The age exempts the Vehicle from the Vehicle Import Program which has a price tag of $180.00 plus $100.00 for any Airconditioners installed. It also exempts you from the Vehicle Verification program once in Canada that requires you to take the vehicle for certification within a certain period. So unless you obtain the appropriate VIP form and have it signed correctly by the Customs Officer then you could have some issues on your hands when it comes time to getting it licensed in Canada. (NOT ALL CUSTOM OFFICERS ARE WELL INFORMED!) so it is a good idea to have your papers in order. Thus at the border you will pay the GST 7% (Not 8%) and at the time of registration within your own province you will then pay the Provincial Tax (Ontario 8%) (So if you know the person a lower bill of sale is a good thing to ask for based on the Vintage Airstream pricing schematic that makes the price easily justified)

Quote:
It took me 10 minutes at the border to clear everything through. Richard
no questions here - it probably did but it helps with what you are starting with in the first place - where you bought it, did you have clear title, did you know what to ask for - did you have a tuned in officer at your gate and so on.

So all you forum members just be wary of what you read - it may have been very simple for Richard but not all cases are the same - and if you do not do your homework you can easily be entering Canada with you new purchase left behind at the border!

Quote:
Prices and availablility in Canada make it well worthwhile to shop in the US. Richard
Richard is definately on top of it here! there are so many more available in the States and even more in the Southern States. But the best buys are the mid central to western states - no rusty frames - just nice and dry trailers with bad tires.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Port Elgin , Ontario
Thanks for all the replies. Seems to be a general consensus that the price is too high at least. I think I will have another look anyhow and take one out for a test tow. I'm curious to see just how well these trailers tow as that is a large part of their claim to fame and a big reason for me wanting one. I guess if they won't come down enough I'll just continue my search.

Cheers

Old 02-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Nukesul:

Keep us posted.

I am considering a trip up to Can-Am in the spring and hope to take a test run as well.

John
Old 02-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Port Elgin , Ontario
John
Thought I would update on our trip to Can-Am. First of all I felt the folks at Can-Am were very helpfull. I'm sure anyone that chooses to deal throught them will be satisfied. I went down to take a better look at the 1990 and also to look at an 89. I went over the 90 a lot closer than the first time. I started to find a few problems but overall the trailer seemed to be in reasonable condition. There were not a lot of interior upgrades done over the years so things were showing their age. I ruled it out soon after when I found some floor wood rot near the front side. I mentioned this to the salesman and he said that it would be fixed. He often referred to a 200+ point check that would be carried out. I never did find out exactly what points would be checked and to what extent the repairs would be done. In the case of the floor would they change that section and check everywhere else? Would they have fixed it if I didn't find it? I figure that they would have to pull up all the flooring to do a real check and I'm sure they didn't have plans to do that. I did take the 90 out for a test drive which made the trip worthwhile. When we got back i went over the 89 some more. I thought I may get this one for a little less. He then informed me that it would actually be a $1000 more. I think we have decided not to buy either. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Don't give up. Just take your time. The more you look the more you learn. Most of us learned after the fact, some more than once. I knew I was doing the full redo going in with the 59. You don't want to end up there with a trailer you paid for thinking all is well. You are right about not seeing many trailers available in the 10-20 year old range. I guess they're keepers.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Nuksul:

Thanks for the update and tip about the floor in the 1990. I had communicated by email with a salesman earlier and he indicated that this was one of the better ones and at the time was asking $31,000, and $29k for the 1989.

If I make the trip in the spring and these are still available, I will certainly focus on the 200 point check.

John
Old 02-13-2005, 07:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Do keep your eyes open for the right one, but when you find it jump on it. I missed a nice 31' two door one years ago because I thought the price was to high, it wasn't, and I have often kicked myself for not buying it on the spot. Know what you are willing to pay for a unit in tip top shape. Take in consideration the work that has to be done or has already been done. If it is a nice unit it will not stay around long and if its the right one you will know.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:53 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Port Elgin , Ontario
John
You leave me scratching my head a little. The price I had for the 90 was $32,300 including tax and a used hitch. When I went back for the second look I was told the 89 would be a thousand more. I really don't know what the out the door price of it would be. Apparently the 89 is a commission sale although it still goes through the dealer so all taxes have to be paid. The 89 had it's clearcoat redone on the upper half apparently. It also looked to be in pretty good shape overall however no upgrades to speak of have been done on either. The 89 also had moisture on the carpet under one of the beds. It was hard to tell if this was through to the floor or due to a recent leak at the window. It's also possible they washed it and some water got in. I couldn't get a good look at the floor underneath but I would definitly bring an ice pick with you to poke around.

Cheers