Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Awning

Yes, thanks. The awning is indeed not up properly cuz the doggone thing was already bent on the rear when we got it, and that's as far as she'd go. However, Mr. B took it off and fixed it after we stayed at his brother's place for a few days. Works properly now and extends and connects at the right place.

Thanks for mentioning it, tho'! I told Mr. B when we posted the photo that someone would notice the awning wasn't up right - I figured several someone's - but you're the only one who has said anything!

LOL, they probably just thought, aw, let 'em have their newbie fun!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Left the awning out again!

Aw, we did it again. Had to go out to the traylah late last night when the wind picked up and get the awning down.

We fixed it, so it extends properly. It stays much cooler inside when the awning is out in the afternoon. The temptation to leave it up overnight has bitten us twice when the wind started howling. The first time it happened, sadly, we lost our cat in a campground and never found him despite much searching and an extra day. (St. Andrews in Florida if you happen to be there and see a gray/silver striped half tabby-half bengal tomcat).

How serious does the wind have to be to do damage to a fully extended awning?

Reba McEntire

Old 03-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
How serious does the wind have to be to do damage to a fully extended awning?
Not very. We have a Zip-Dee, which was replaced the year b4 we bought the TT. Wanna guess why it was replaced?

We always take ours down b4 bed...
Old 03-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
Notes about the awning... tie it down!

First of all, you do know that there are some Youtube videos of how to extend the awning that were put up by Zip Dee and Airstream, right? Consult those. Most of them are correct and apply to the one I have except for this little tidbit: On my original awning on the 1990 Excella, before I unroll it, I have to disconnect the stabilizer bars and let them hang. Mine has an all the way retracted lock position on the ratchet mechanism that, if left on the storage peg, tries to bend the hook on the end. Those hooks on the end are cast aluminum. Cast doesn't bend... it breaks! Ask me how I know...

So, I unhook those, let them hang freely, extend the awning all the way out, raise the arms to desired height, then hook the stabilizer bars into that space between the awning arm and roller where it goes, then give them a quick, two-handed, overhand pull towards the awning roller to let the spring tension in the hook end of the bar and ratchet mechanism on the mid-bar latch work together to keep the awning tight in all three places: front, middle, and back. Some models that are not Excella or Limited do not have the middle rod. Ours does, thank goodness.

After the awning is fully extended and arms are raised all the way up (except for the one end being lower to drain any rain that might fall away), you can tie a rope around each end, screw one of those dog-run corkscrews into the ground, hook a small spring to it, tie the awning rope tightly to the spring, and this will keep light to medium wind from damaging your awning. They sell these kits for that in places like Camping World. I have a friend who full-times and if he even suspects wind, he does this and it has always worked well for him. I do the same thing if I'm expecting wind. Although, my awning has stayed up in gusts of up to about 20 mph with no problem, not tied down. Thats not to say it didn't stress me out, because I come to Airstream camping having had experience in pop-up camper trailers.... complete with awning horror stories (on brand-new units).

There are two enemies of improperly set up awnings: wind and rain. The reason rain bends the arms or big roller is it pools up on the low side close to where the fabric meets the roller when the ends are level; i.e. when either one of the end awning arms are not left lower than the other, giving it a natural run-off place to get rid of accumulations. Wind will also get underneath the awning like a sail and pick it up if it is gusty and not tied down.

When I am camping and it is rainy, I almost always have my awning out to shield the entry door. If there is any chance of gusty wind, though, it is tied down. This has proven to work well.

One thing I learned, though, is that the awning fabric kind of has to get saturated before it sheets water well... it relies on the surface tension of the water working with the weave of the material. I thought I had holes in the material at first because it was dripping under the awning, and I didn't like that. Then, when the whole thing got good and wet, it was fine. The last excursion I made up to my daughter's, it was rainy and gusty most of the time for several days. I was glad I had the awning out each time I had to enter or exit the trailer, so I didn't have to stand in the rain while unlocking the door.

If things are in proper working order, its a pretty good design that should be able to be left up for several days without worry. Not flawless... you do have to use some common sense and take the awning down when the weather forecast is windy, but it works pretty darned well! Just be sure and click the tensioner (stabilizer) arms to maintain sufficient tension on the extended awning.

Living in the coastal south, about the only time I don't automatically extend the awning as part of setup is if there is significant wind in the forecast, or I am just at a place where I'm staying overnight and leaving early the next day.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
There are even videos by Zip Dee about 'forming' the awning arms ... bending or straightening them with (almost) no tools, if they are binding or not storing properly. I had to do that, as well, to get mine properly adjusted. In the previous owners' experience... SOMEone had gotten the trailer against something and took some of the bend out of one of the arms and its action was just not right... and there was way too much tension on it when stowed.

Following the advice on the video, I used the big load leveling hitch as an anvil and restored the correct amount of bend to the arm... now it works beautifully (as long as I leave the stabilizers unhooked while rolling/unrolling the awning).
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #34

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Sorry about your cat.
I put my awning in whenever I leave the campsite or when I go to bed. Not sure about the wind speeds and what it can handle but I'm up and around just incase.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1960 28' Ambassador
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Hey, hope you guys are still having fun. Send us an update of any fun parks you have found.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Updating...been stuck at home a few weeks helping my mom and stepdad...and taking in a daughter and two grandkids who are living with us temporarily.

Headed to Branson early next week for the Midwest Spring Rally. We have tried and missed two rallies already, but hopefully, three is the charm. After that, home for Easter with the kids, grandkids, etc., then off again - not sure where yet. Plan to stay gone much of the spring and summer. Oh, yeah, the fall, too, and, uh, yeah, Florida in winter....

We broke off some rivets in the front outer skin panel on the 2400 mile maiden voyage. Gonna' have to see about that. Leaving rivets in others' path is not nice. Pretty sure it is related to the hitch/TV/sway bar stuff. I've read lots of threads about it - probably too heavy. Gonna' pop some Olympias, or whatever they are called, in temporarily and have the new dealership at Springfield take a look at it later.

All things in perspective. Can ya'll believe there are actually people running around in trailers with no belly pans? Geez. You look under some of the fancy SOB trailers, and whoa...there's the bottom of the floor up there. And the danged things have particle board walls - on the outside, too, and flimsy woodwork, cabinetry, etc!!!! So, what's a few rivets? A little rotten floor in patches...you know. Usual AS blemishes (some people call them design flaws, but since we all have 'em, gotta' love 'em). LOL And that back bumper storage full of water? We consider that extra supply, or we did until we kicked out a few rivets to let it drain. (And that was after we found that lil' ole teensy hole in the middle of the back cross-frame)!

Our younger daughter found us the perfect gnome couple, today, so I'll have to post their photos when we get them. Looking for a pink 'mingo' now so we can be "right uptown," as my daddy used to say. And the AS lights from the Vintage Trailer Store are really neat. Wish we'd ordered more sets! All we need now are some of those KEWL blue neon curb effects I saw! (No, I cain't spell gaudy...and anyway, in Arkansas we say tawdry, or gaw-dy, but at least it won't be as bad as them people that plant flowers in the old toilet. Can't carry one of those, too heavy.)

Reba McEntire

Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #37

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Updating...Headed to Branson early next week ...
I was in Branson last week for work...the ride up was beautiful, the Dogwoods should be in full bloom for ya!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #38
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Hey Carol,
I hope you are having fun on the road. As far as some popped rivets in the front, you might want to check out this thread. I'm sure you'll hear the many opinions on front end separation. It is a very informative thread.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Talking Ezzie fixed - goin' to Alumapalooza!

Thanks, Top. We studied it, and everything else we could find on that issue. We now are fixing our front end separation and applying some extra strength - wasn't bad yet, but it was happening! Using the methods ya'll taught us! Thanks to HowieE and others who blazed a trail for us! Ezzie will be stronger than ever when we finish.

But here's what I really want to say:

We're leaving Saturday, May 28 for Alumapalooza. Plan to stop along the way for three nights - not sure where yet - and arrive at the Mother Ship on Tuesday, the 31st.

Anyone else going from around down this way? We could alter our times some to get with a few others. We don't much care about schedules....retired!!

btw, I think they still have one or two openings because of medical cancellations on some which had been long term booked.

I'm excited!

Reba McEntire

Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Hitting the road - ready or not!

Today I painted the rub rail insert on Esmerelda. True Blue Krylon. It looked so good I went ahead and painted the other faded & blackened plastic inserts in the beltline, etc. and did a little painting on the gas tank cover and some patching where the stripes we need to replace have peeled. Whoever said, in the proper thread, that one color of blue electric tape is a match and can be used temporarily to fix a nasty place was so right! Sprucing 'er up a little for Alumapalooza.

And Mr. B got one third of the top front endcap polished! Wow, it will be very beautiful IF we ever get it all done. He used aircraft paint remover, and of course, while hosing it off, some drops managed to get on the front sunglass which left some little ugly whitish dried up clearcoat and remover spots! It wouldn't budge once we noticed it.

We were having so much fun watching that one little piece shine! One sees the shiny polished trailers, but there's nothing like seeing for sure that one's own will do that, too. Amazing. Can't wait to do more - but it will have to wait - there's camping to do! We may never do all of ours, but the roof and endcap tops have to be done. I think we need to order Removall, or something like that? And then be more careful to protect what we don't want to strip and damage! Does Remove All go on with a brush? The aircraft removal takes the clearcoat and corrosion off well, but it's hard to control and it blows easily in the slightest breeze.

She's clean, got one little shiny piece - and mostly packed. Bug bomb was deployed a few days ago. We are leaving Saturday going to Alumapalooza, where I bet there's a mudhole where they are parking us!

And TODAY - of course it would be today and not two weeks ago - I noticed the rest of the bushing is about to fall to pieces on the shocks. It looks much worse than it did 2800 miles ago! But we simply forgot that we needed them. Knew it. Even before the last trip. No excuse.

Anyway, now there's no time to get them replaced before yet another trip, but maybe we can get them installed while we are out this time. I know there's NO opportunity for service at Jackson Center, all full - but maybe another dealer somewhere in the Northeast? Or, we can stay around there later if need be.

TV has been serviced. Tire pressures checked. Back of the truck is full of the junk we haul around. Lightened up the front of the trailer by leaving some tools and stuff (probably just the stuff we'll need) Trying to figure out where to put the bicycles, but if worse comes to worst, the new zero gravity chairs have priority.

We're hoping to see other 'streamers on the road and can't wait to see all the friends we haven't met yet and learn more at the seminars. Rivets still scare me!

Reba McEntire

Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #41

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
She sounds beautiful! Take lots of pictures so we can live vicariously through you!!! You will have a blast! Maybe take some 2x6s with you so your tires don't sink in the mud.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Good luck!

Just wanted to wish yall good luck on your trip. Hope yall have a great time. We'd love to see some pictures of your paint job and polishing.

On the shocks, I just changed out mine yesterday and it took all of about an hour to remove the tires and change the shocks. Its a really easy job. I ordered the Gabriel shocks from ODMRV.com.
Be sure to check out the installation video for some great tips if you decide to do it yourself.
Airstream Shock replacement guide

Hope yall have a safe and blessed trip.

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1992 excella, 29'