Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1990 - 1993 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #41

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
She sounds beautiful! Take lots of pictures so we can live vicariously through you!!! You will have a blast! Maybe take some 2x6s with you so your tires don't sink in the mud.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Good luck!

Just wanted to wish yall good luck on your trip. Hope yall have a great time. We'd love to see some pictures of your paint job and polishing.

On the shocks, I just changed out mine yesterday and it took all of about an hour to remove the tires and change the shocks. Its a really easy job. I ordered the Gabriel shocks from ODMRV.com.
Be sure to check out the installation video for some great tips if you decide to do it yourself.
Airstream Shock replacement guide

Hope yall have a safe and blessed trip.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Waiting at Glacier Hills Lakes

We're in a campground tonight near Jackson Center - Glacier Hills Lakes in Wapakoneta, Ohio. We're going over to Airstream tomorrow for Alumapalooza. I'm a little concerned about the heat. It's 92 in the shade, and we aren't going to have enough juice over there to run ACs. Today while we were getting set up here, we were burning up and tried opening windows, vents, turning on fans, etc., and it was still very nasty hot.

Hope it's cooler tomorrow or we are going to steam in our traylahs. I'm grumpy when I'm hot! The humidity feels more like Florida than Ohio.

Drove over and checked it out tonight. There's a bumpy road to the gate we are to use, (I hate to take Ezzie over bumps) and the grassy treeless field looks like this may not be our most comfortable rally! But, we'll see. It should be fun if we don't roast and our aged dog doesn't get too hot.

If we had not already spent the money to stay at Airstream for the whole rally, we might be tempted to stay right where we are and go over to the rally as walk-ins. But, we'll see how it works out. Still thinking it's worth doing and excited about it.

Esmerelda made the trip like the good ole girl she is, so it was uneventful except for the overcrowded and somewhat nasty state park we stayed in last night (conditions mostly due to Memorial Day weekend crowd).

We've seen three Airstreams parked in driveways in this area so far, and many parked at the Terra Port at AS. Can't wait to see the caravans roll in. Misgivings aside, this is probably going to be a really good experience for us.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Wink Esmerelda At Alumapalooza

We're at Alumapalooza. About "seminar-ed" out. We are in the lobby/store using the wireless. It's very "unconnected" out here in vast Jackson City, Ohio. No phone service most of the time. They have free wireless available in the office. We drove to a nearby town (15 miles) last night to use McDonald's wireless. It might be good if they could tell us in the registration materials how to get on, and even let us use it in the parking lot in front of the office!

Thank goodness it's not so hot today. The first day here without air conditioning was miserable and we had trouble sleeping the first night.

We were about ready to roll on farther north and see if we can get cooler weather, but it's better today.

The coolest thing about Alumapalooza is seeing so many 'streams in one place. We've had a hard time just getting to see all of them! There are so many people, it's hard to get to know anyone, and the smaller rallies are better for that. If I were the marketing guru here, I would have a few activities by "row" or trailer type, just to get more people acquainted. I would suggest a few meet and greet for say, Excella owners, Land Yacht owners, new units, etc. There is a great deal of diversity in the types of trailers we own, and it's great fun to see all the units. However, it would be nice to find common ground, too, so we could form some hopefully enduring long distance connections.

There are some very amazing Airstreams here. We're next door to a super-duper 1958 on one side and a gorgeous 2008 Classic on the other... both great. I love the one out front with the "eyes". I'll post some photos as soon as Mr. B helps me get them up here.

We're enjoying Alumapalooza, and they even gave us, for free, an ink pen! And then, Saturday night, they are going to give us a hot dog or a hamburger!! For free! And, there are cookies in the lobby today! For free, too. And there are machines with coffee and cold drinks. Yaay.

Everything else, we can buy if we want! The "goodie bag" was a free bag and two free decals and some advertising, coupons, etc., from area entities. I was kinda' hoping for a key ring, but heck, it only cost us $340 to come here! But, hey...like you guys told me, everyone should come at least once. The factory tour was interesting - and some of the seminars are very informative.

Overall, We're glad we came! And Rich, Brett, and all the staff, and Sky & Slade are great. The photographer, Allison, is a sweet dear. We especially enjoy hearing Rich Luhr's seminars as he is always interesting and funny - not to mention very informative.

Here's a little thing, though. There's sort of a subtle attitude, only at times, and I know it's not intentional, but, it is a little off-putting, however, when they tell us things like not to park in certain spaces "because those are reserved for our vendors." Uh....are they talking about the people who sell them things to go in the Airstreams we buy?? And a guard at the gate had nothing but a dirty look for us when we came in through the side gate one evening. They said we could, dude!!

Sometimes, there is a tiny, tiny subtle hint that we are fortunate to be able to have their tray-lahs. Believe me, I know some Airstreamers who are NOT NICE and I understand putting on this thing is probably, on many levels, a trial! I would get mean after a while with some of these people
(maybe why I've never been asked to be in public relations!!). Actually, I have been known to get mean with some of our own kind. yeah. Sorry.

But, we do BE the customer, eh? Just poking a little fun and teasing, but with a little hint. I'd like Airstream to be around forever and keep making trailers and having Alumapalooza. To do so, maybe the people who buy the trailers rate above vendors, subcontractors and the like!

And it may be just me. I quit smoking about a month ago, and I've been a grumpy ole she bear ever since!! So, to an extent, just look over me.

Like I said, we're glad we got to come and we are enjoying it! And we are grateful to all the hard working staff members who have been out there in the sun with us all the time. They are great! We would still recommend others newbies come- just as people here advised us to come - once.

Reba McEntire

Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Ok, having a better time at Alumapalooza now! More people here and AS is treating us to a chicken dinner Saturday night in addition to the hamburgers and hot dogs tonight. Maybe we just got here too early! Some of the seminars are very good! Just seeing all the amazing Airstreams is worth the trip and the expense.
The vintage units, completely restored, are wonderful to see!

Reba McEntire

Old 06-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #46
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Glad things have brightened up for you! Enjoy yourselves!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
That is one gorgeous airstream! We finally, finally have our first airstream after years of looking and waiting. It is a 1989 29' excella rear twin.
I love hearing all about trips like this, that sounds like a wonderful time.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Since I lasted posted here, we've put 6,000 miles plus on ole Esmerelda. She hasn't missed a beat. 20 years old with new shocks, brakes and tires, and as good as new. Yeah, she has dings and dents and other "beauty marks" but our AS feels like home now.
Since Alumapalooza we've been in several states and most recently, had a great camping experience at Bull Shoals White River State Park close to home. If you are in the vicinity - Central North Arkansas, near Missouri Border, don't miss this park. Especially if it's hot. The campsites are on the White River, which flows from the bottom of the Bull Shoals Dam.

We had so much fun there - and our daughters, a friend, and six children were with us! Of course, some had to sleep in a tent, but we managed to get all six children in Ezzie's front room. Three small ones on the sofa bed, three on a queen size air mattress in the floor. Gotta' love the room in an Excella.

Cooked breakfast every day for everyone. I forgot to take photos of the campsite, although we have lots of wading in the fast-moving river, etc.

We're looking forward to many, many more camping experiences in Esmerelda. We haven't done any more work on her - cause we're too busy camping! She's fine as she is as far as we're concerned. I guess we're just not the kind of folks who have to have everything perfect before we use the dickens out of our beloved AS.

Heading to Branson in October for the AIR Midwest Rally. Wish some of you we've met along the way - and in the Forums, would join us!

Reba McEntire

Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Talking

Some photos of our summer adventures, including a couple from Alumapalooza - the biggest adventure of the summer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	138191   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6020021.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	138193  

Name:	P6100023.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	138197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	138200  

Name:	P5310039.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	138201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer 2011 207.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	138202  

Name:	Lake Griffin to St. Andrews 080.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	138203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake Griffin to St. Andrews 144.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	138204  

Name:	Lake Griffin to St. Andrews 125.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	138205   Click image for larger version

Name:	More of first Airstream Trip 082.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	138206  

Reba McEntire

Old 08-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Love the pictures, love the stories, that is what Airstreaming is all about.
Glad ya'll are having such a great time with your AS.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #51
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Great pictures! Nice to hear that y'all are having such a wonderful time. It'd be nice if you could make it to a rally down here in Texas!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
I'd love to make it to a rally in Texas - once it cools off. Sitting here frustrated this afternoon because I really want to get more of Esmerelda polished before the AIR Midwest Rally at Branson, but it's just too hot to be out. Maybe this fall we will get to Texas?

We did get one of those nifty screen guards at the mother ship this summer. I like it a lot - keeps grandkids and our dog from pushing the screen out. Got new shocks, finally, while we were in Jackson City, and it made lots of difference. We are no longer popping rivets or stirring up the contents of the trailer as much.

Mr. S - I've lost track of you. I'll have to check your thread to see where you folks have been this year in that finely restored Excella. I know she's a beauty by now with all the work and love ya'll have put in her.

Reba McEntire

Old 09-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Thumbs up New Arkansas Airstream Dealer

All of you may already know this, but I just learned we now have a new Airstream dealer, with service, in Arkansas.

Crain RV in Little Rock now sells and services Airstreams and is a full dealer! Woot!

I really like the folks at Crain, so I'm excited to have them. I think they will join the forum soon, and I hear there's a rally sponsored by them right after our AIR Midwest Rally at Branson. Their rally is going to be in Little Rock, but I don't have all the details yet. I'm going down tomorrow to check them out and meet Bill, the sales person I talked to today.

Check it out. If someone has already shared this, sorry. I just found out and I'm just so glad we have a dealer again. About time we got a new Arkansas AS dealer, and I've found Crain to be a good dealer for other RVs. They seem to have a good inventory already, but all new units. Hopefully they will eventually trade for some used ones, too. I've got my eye on that new 30' Classic. Now if I could just win the lottery or something!

Reba McEntire

Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
My husband grew up vacationing in Mountain Home, Arkansas, Lake Norfork. Have you ever been there? Sounds like a great place to Stream! I have really enjoyed your stories and photos. 6,000 miles! That us so cool!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Great Posts LawChick! Hope to meet ya"ll on-the-road!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Skatiero, I just happen to have lived in Mountain Home for a large part of my life, and actually served as mayor there during the late 1990s. It's a truly great to place to live, but an even better place to camp. The rivers and lakes are clear, as you know from your experience there. Bull Shoals Lake is called one of the clearest inland lakes in the nation and is popular for diving, fishing, and all kinds of water sports. May be getting a little cool for that now, but the fall is beautiful there. I may be a little prejudiced - both my girls were raised there - but I don't know finer parks and campgrounds than those on the two nearby lakes, Norfork and Bull Shoals. The White River is awesome, and if you like to fish, take a guided trout fishing float.

We were camped at the Bull Shoals White River State Park at Bull Shoals, on the Lakeview side. One can choose to camp on the lakeside or down on the river, which we prefer in summer because it's cool. In the winter, some of the parks close, so you have to check. Bull Shoals White River is a state park and has a wonderful visitor center at the top of the dam. The other parks on the Lakes are Corps of Engineers parks. I think the one in the town of Bull Shoals stays open during the winter, but I'm not sure. Been away too long.

In Mountain Home, there's Cranfield, Panther Bay and several other campgrounds. They are all well-appointed. But again, I'm not sure how late into the season they are open,.

We're headed to Branson on October 10th to camp a week in connection to AIR Midwest. If there's time, we'll probably haunt the Mountain Home area on the way home. The Ozarks are home ground for me. Florida is home for Mr. B., so we run back and forth a lot. Eventually we'll make it out west, I guess.

Great to hear from you. Visit the Mountain Home area again. You will love being there, campgrounds are reasonable, and there's no prettier or more peaceful place.

HiHo, you're only in Mississippi and we'll be going through there when we go to Florida this winter. Surely we'll meet up sooner or later.

Ya'll don't forget, we could probably still get a trailer or two in at AIR Midwest, and we're going to have a great rally this year.

Reba McEntire

Old 11-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Hi everyone!

We've been down in Florida the last few days. In Navarre, Florida, there is an interesting AS at an RV sales outlet called RV brokers. They said its a consignment.

We would like to contact the owner of that AS. Does anyone know who it belongs to?? No wally numbers. I don't want to say too much, but I am interested.

The salesman there is NOT helpful & I don't even want to refer friends until I can talk to the owner.

Its the only AS on the lot. Who owns it? We need to talk!!!

Reba McEntire

Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Esmerelda

Esmerelda is hanging out at Sarasota Lakes RV Resort. We've been here since Feb. 1, and plan to stay at least until March 1. I wish Mr. S was here. We had to have a new brake drum and the dang thing is grabbing again! Wonder why Airstream Dealers (at least a lot of them) seem incapable of adjusting brakes properly. Mr. S and Frenchy had them perfect at the Texas Piney Woods Rally, but then, alas, we had to have the bearings repacked....and no matter what you have done, it seems, they can mess up something else! Grrrrrrrrr Sometimes I just wanna' tell people, "If you can't do all, or at least most, of the maintenance work on your AS yourself, don't buy one!! Just frustrated. I know there are lots of good dealers with good techs. It just seems..... Guess we'll have to go to Jackson Center like we did to get shocks, etc.

Anyway, we're in Florida again, and guess what? The Florida State WBCCI is having their state rally just down on Fruitville (we're off University), so we'll get to visit and hopefully make lots of new Airstream friends! I can't wait to see some of the trailers at their vintage open house on Saturday.

I think there are more Airstreams over there already than were at Alumapalooza, and I thought that was a big, big rally! But, of course, it might have something to do with the fact it's so dang beautiful here - and the weather is perfect!

Reba McEntire

Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick
Esmerelda is hanging out at Sarasota Lakes RV Resort. We've been here since Feb. 1, and plan to stay at least until March 1. I wish Mr. S was here. We had to have a new brake drum and the dang thing is grabbing again! Wonder why Airstream Dealers (at least a lot of them) seem incapable of adjusting brakes properly. Mr. S and Frenchy had them perfect at the Texas Piney Woods Rally, but then, alas, we had to have the bearings repacked....and no matter what you have done, it seems, they can mess up something else! Grrrrrrrrr Sometimes I just wanna' tell people, "If you can't do all, or at least most, of the maintenance work on your AS yourself, don't buy one!! Just frustrated. I know there are lots of good dealers with good techs. It just seems..... Guess we'll have to go to Jackson Center like we did to get shocks, etc.

Anyway, we're in Florida again, and guess what? The Florida State WBCCI is having their state rally just down on Fruitville (we're off University), so we'll get to visit and hopefully make lots of new Airstream friends! I can't wait to see some of the trailers at their vintage open house on Saturday.

I think there are more Airstreams over there already than were at Alumapalooza, and I thought that was a big, big rally! But, of course, it might have something to do with the fact it's so dang beautiful here - and the weather is perfect!
Glad to hear y'all are out and about having a good time with Esmerelda. I was wondering about you guys the other day.
Sorry to hear about your brakes, I'd have been glad to help you out if I was around. Mrs. S surely would love to go to Florida, but shes strapped down with nursing school. Doesn't look like we will get to do much camping this year. Hopefully it will get a little better for her in the Fall. She's doing really GREAT though!
Brakes are fairly simple to work on, I haven't had any dealings with a dealership but I would think they would take more pride in their work, especially if they want to call their self an "Airstream Tech".

Well I'm in Seoul, Korea heading to San Jose, CA to bring home (Texas) a truck and trailer for my Sister & Brother in law. What a favor huh?
I'll be close to the beach, just the wrong one you guys are on.
Y'all take care, We miss y'all!

Mr.S
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Miss ya'll, too, Joshua!

I was wondering what part of the world you might be in. Sorry ya'll won't get to camp much this year, but Mrs. S getting nursing school under her belt will be a really good thing. I'm glad she's doing well. I would expect she'd do well at anything she tried to do! You two are a wonderful couple.

As for the brakes, I really didn't want to have the bearings repacked, but it's a hard rule with us to do them. I KNEW they'd mess up your excellent brake adjustment. They're going to hear about it when we go back home.

Ethan's with us this trip, too. But not his little sister! And Lord help us, Teddy is along, too. Ethan's been having fun. He's been fishing in the gulf, swimming a LOT, going lots of places.

We're hoping to visit the Florida State Rallly several times. Kinda' looking for a second Airstream, maybe a little smaller.

We'll meet up with ya'll again before too long, I hope. But we understand the need for Mrs. S to finish her studies.

So good to hear from you, as always.

Reba McEntire

Tags
1992 excella, 29'