That's like a nice route.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We ran that route, in reverse, from Pensacola to Jackson yesterday...gee it was windy! We had to stop at the RV dealer in Hattiesburg and purchase a new top for the Fantastic Vent...Ya just cant buy good stuff anymore...it only lasted 15 years and a little gust of wind blew it apart

Anyway...good luck!

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Got to Sarasota

Well, we made it to Sarasota after 3 days on the road. We stopped in Richland Mississippi at the Walmart parking lot. We parked near a semi that was quietly parked for the night. Went to bed about 11 or 12 pm only to be awakened by a reefer that decided he absolutely had to park between us and the semi. Ray got out of bed, put on his pants over his pj bottoms and started up Big Red and moved us across the parking lot to a quieter side of it. We then were able to go back to sleep until the morning. I rode in the back while Ray moved the traylah and was surprised at all the creaks and moans Ezzie made rolling across the parking lot. We had breakfast at Micky D's and had to do some manuevering to get back on the road from that parking lot.

The trip from Jackson to Hattiesburg was really rough and bumpy. The dog got sick and the cat hollered and Ezzie was rocking and rolling but survived. Sure do wish some states would spend a little money on their roads!!

The road from Hattiesburg to Mobile was much smoother and we caught sight of an old Argosy (we think) just outside of Mobile on 98. It looked abandoned and forlorn if anyone is interested in checking it out. We called about going thru the tunnel in Mobile and were told to go around, but when we got there the exit would have forced us into downtown Mobile, so we just went on thru the tunnel without incident. The signs said Hazardous Cargo had to exit, but we don't consider Ezzie to be hazardous.

We spent that night in a Florida rest area outside Lake City. It said there was only a 3 hour stop maximum, but the guard told me they didn't really enforce except for those who try to stay for days on end.

We got up the next morning and headed south again, stopped for a yummie breakfast at a Cracker Barrel a few exits east of the rest stop. From there we went on to Sarasota and were able to find an RV park in Sarasota to stay at. We got to the park and found the site and got the traylah parked and leveled. Then the fun started!! The electricity at the site didn't work, nor did the cable connection. The guy next door let us plug into his site so we could have power until the next day. Ray called the park office the next morning and complained about the lack of power and cable. They sent a maintenance guy over, but after a few hours of waiting, we found that they couldn't get the power and cable to work. SO, they said we could move to the only other site they had available, which had no cable, and would give us a lesser fee and refund the difference. In the meantime, before we found all this out, Ray tried to connect us to the sewer. He tried to connect a universal connector to the valve on the traylah, and found out it was the wrong size. In addition, he found that our grey water valve wasn't closed and couldn't get it to close. Imagine him pulling off the cap and trying to get the wrong size connector on the outlet while grey water is pouring out!! He finally used a bucket and drained the grey tank manually, then found the correct connector in the bumper storage area and switched the hose from the universal connector to the Thetford. While Ray was letting water pour out whenever he let the cover loose, I carried the water hose out there so the sort of snooty types around us would think we were using the hose and not dumping our tanks!!

We decided to stay, and got ready to move to the other site. Packed up the traylah and moved her on the ball only (no sway bars) to the new site and got her connected more easily since this was now our second time getting set up. Since this is Florida and HOT, and since we couldn't use our shower, we luckily discovered that the RV park has a bathhouse. So, we trotted over to the bathhouse with towels and clean clothes and finally got cleaned up after 3 days without a shower!! Needless to say, we were in heaven now that we were clean again. Ray tried to put the plug back in our hot water heater and found out it leaked, so we had to get some teflon tape before we could have hot water. Today we got the tape and Ray was able to get the hot water heater started. It sputters and gasps, but does heat the water. Guess we'll have to have it adjusted so it stops sounding like an asthmatic on crack!! Ah the adventures of our maiden voyage. Guess Ezzie isn't a virgin anymore? Or maybe we aren't?

This is a very nice RV park, the office people were so apologetic about the first site's problems and tried the best they could to resolve the issues.

Ezzie pulled like a dream, so much so that we repeatedly found ourselves going faster than we wanted to and had to slow down.

There are at least 2 other AS here at the park and also an Avion. A fellow airforums member is just across the street from us and came over and introduced himself and chatted with us for awhile. He tried to help us get our stuck awning to work properly, and gave us a tip about what might be wrong with it. We can only get one side to extend properly, so we have been keeping it at "rally" position. Part of the fun is running into other AS folks.

We will be leaving here on Sunday, and haven't decided which way we'll go yet! We are letting the wind blow us wherever it might. Our AS is still a work in progress, lots of work left to do to it. But she's a comfortable old girl and we love her.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Wow! Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy yourselves.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Lawchick,
What, no showers at the Wallymart RV park?
Tim
Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Nope, no shower.

No, I think it's primitive camping only! Don't think they even want us to fire up the grill! But the price is right when you just want to get some sleep on the way. LOL

Reba McEntire

Old 02-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Fun Fun

Wow sounds like you two are sharing an adventure you wont soon forget! Hope yall are having a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Today we got the tape and Ray was able to get the hot water heater started. It sputters and gasps, but does heat the water. Guess we'll have to have it adjusted so it stops sounding like an asthmatic on crack!!
About your hot water heater....Mine done the same thing, it would heat the water but sounded horrible! A friend showed me on the outside of the trailer where the hot water heater door is, open that, and you will see the pilot light in there, if memory serves me right there is a sleeve just before the pilot and it has a screw that holds the sleeve in place. You can back off the screw and adjust the sleeve back and forth to find the place where the pilot will best operate. Something to do with the air flow. Then you just tighten your screw back down and away you go. If I was home I would take a picture and guide you better. Maybe someone else can chime in or correct me if Im mistaken. But that is how I got mine to operate better.
Good luck with your trip and enjoy the sunny warm weather!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1960 28' Ambassador
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Hope you had or are having a great trip!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Carol,

Any chance that was you on the 21st or 22nd on 98 between Destin, FL and Santa Rosa, FL? We saw two Airstreams those days without numbers. We were in the truck with our trailer ensconced at Top Sail.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Talking Nope, we went up I-10.

No, we came down 98 only to Mobile and then went over on 10 and whizzed along all the way to Lake City. Geez the only problem towing this girl is trying to remember to keep the speed down. Big Red Dodge loves taking her along.

It's true we don't have numbers (yet). We've not seen any AS on the road yet, but have several parked in this RV Park (Sarasota Lakes).

We just met another ASer who came by and introduced himself. He also has a dog just like our Bichon - would you believe with the same name? Teddy.

We are having a blast. We no longer need our house! But Esmerelda will require some more TLC before we could full time. We patched the floor because we couldn't wait to use her! Someday more will be required.

Thanks for the tip on the Hot Water Heater, J. That thing sounds like it is exploding every few minutes and the orange varying light of the flame in there is enough to scare someone walking by! We just turn it on, heat water, then turn the scary thing off. I don't think I'd sleep in here with it on! We'll try what you did and I also think we may need to clean the burner, but I haven't looked at it yet to see what's involved in getting to it.

Hope to see ya'll along the road somewhere. Thanks for your replies!

Reba McEntire

Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Smile Lake Griffin State Park A Gem

We left Sarasota today. Stayed a few extra days. We went up 301 North and then got onto Fla 64, where we crossed over to Hwy 27. Don't go this way! It was rolling hills, some surprisingly steep for Florida, and a doggone stoplight every little bit. All we did all afternoon was stop, go, stop, go. Frustrating! Also ran into construction with a scary drop off on the right side for a while, along with those "swayzie" lane changes. Oh, and did I mention, the wind was blowing a gale? Yeah, wind, too. It didn't bother Esmerelda much, but when I was driving, I was well aware of it. Ran into too much traffic around the intersection with I-4 and some other roads which lead toward Disney World.

But, we got here and happened onto a really nice state park, Lake Griffin, which actually looks like a campground and has lots of massive live oaks with hanging Spanish moss. The live oak at the entrance is over 300 years old. This park has canopied sand/shell/dirt roads - a big change from Sarasota Lakes. But it is very charming in its own "old Florida" way. There are lots of other RVs here, and I don't think it is even a half mile off Highway 27, although we cannot hear traffic sounds because the hammock here is thick.

But, the best part, it only costs $19.95 per night - that's compared with the $35 to $90 nights over on either coast. It's turned chilly enough we won't need our AC tonight, and it's new and noisy, so it will be nice to have a quiet night. Oh, and the shower, restroom and laundry facilities are great, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	123416 Shade trees, dirt roads, peaceful

Name:	IMG_0151.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	123417 Teddy wishing he could mark every tree

Name:	March 1, 2011 014.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	123418 Essie at sunset

We'd like to stay here longer, but we have to mosey on up the road toward Mr. B's brother's place near Jacksonville. We may be driveway camping there.

We'll go up to Ocala and then change roads because this one is too slow and hard on the fuel mileage!

See ya' on the road maybe.

Reba McEntire

Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #26

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Great photos...thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Getting Things Done While Camping

We've been able to accomplish a few things while camped at Mr. B's brother's house.

Mr. B and his brother, Rick, have fixed the fridge! Previously it wouldn't run on LP, only on electric. That problem is solved. We're learning there is very little wrong with our AS that a little cleaning, fixing, refurbishing doesn't fix. They took the igniter apart and she worked.

Awning wouldn't fully open. Only to rally mode. Mr. B found the rod to be bent and they fixed that. Awning works perfectly.

The porch light wasn't working and we figured the wiring might be bad. Mr. B. got to looking at it and discovered it had the wrong size bulb in it! Well, duh. Now our porch light works!

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	548.0 KB
ID:	123739
300-Year old live oak at Lake Griffin State Park, FL

We are learning a lot of the things that didn't work or didn't work properly are simple fixes once we're living in the trailer on this trip and have time to tinker with it.

At this rate, we'll be taking 'er home in better shape than when she left.

Here's some driveway parking shots, although they were taken before we fixed the awning. It isn't really a driveway- they have a big place nicely landscaped and we're out under the pine trees with an American Holly tree, too, which smells heavenly this time of year.

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	123738

Driveway parking outside Jacksonville

Name:	028.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	123740
No, that's not rear end sag, just the way the photo looks!

Reba McEntire

Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #28

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Hey Carol,

In case you didn't know, the proper place to hook the awning support is different that in your photo. If ya get just a small amout of load on the awning, the arms will bend unless you move the supports.

The trailer looks GREAT!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Awning.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	123745  

Tags
1992 excella, 29'