Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
Portland , Maine
1993 Excella 34'

Hello, the wife, and our 2 & 4 year old's are thinking of buying a 1993 Excella 34' to live in while on long-term work assignment in Northern NV. This would be our first RV experience, and seems like having the additional dinette would make all the difference over a ~28' model. I'm a bit nervous about the size of this thing, 3 axles and all. We will be purchasing a 3/4 diesel pickup to pull. Anything I should be considering here? Are we crazy to think this will work? Or, should we go for it?

binkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
. , .
hi binkers

welcome to the forums and 'streamin....

crazy? well YES u R!

go 4 it? ab so lute ly!!!

my first trailer was/is a triple axle.

pulled with 3/4 ford diesel, it is a great combo....

there are few places i cannot get into and highway travel is a breeze....

invest in fresh tires for the trailer.

i've got disc brakes on the trailer, and that's a significant improvement.

also investigate hitches. i'm a haha user and won't go any other way.

the dinette does come in very handy.

consider coverting the back bedroom for the kids and using the front for adults...

any questions about life in a 34 just ask!

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I have a 1992 Limited 34’ that I pull with an old '96 Dodge diesel. The trailer weighed 8500# when I had it weighed (while on a trip) several years ago. The 34' tows like a dream (I have no sophisticated hitch or accessories, just a common weight distributing hitch with a friction sway control). On a trip to Nebraska last fall fuel mileage ranged from a high of 18.2 mpg from Laramie, Wyoming to North Platte, Nebraska to a low of 12.6 mpg from Laramie to Cokeville, Wyoming. I will say that having that third axle was somewhat psychologically intimidating for a few pulls. I think you’ll like the dinette. I don't use Forest Service campgrounds as I think I'm too long, but I've never had any problems anywhere else.
'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The 3 axles will allow the trailer to ride more smoothly, and the "ocean liners" tow easier than the smaller trailers. They can be kind of hard on tires, but with proper care they can go a long way between changes.
If you feel intimidated by the length, try telling yourself it is only 31' long (3' for the hitch).
Probably the only time you may have a problem camping is when there is a length restriction, and you can try the above rationalisation on the gatekeeper.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1984 34' Excella
Farmington , New Mexico
Go for it. Like 2air my one and only trailer is my 87 34' that I pull with a 90 3/4 Suburban. I decided to live fullltime in my coach 12 years ago and have had absolutely no regrets about that decision. The trailer tows very well and I still use the old Hensley anti-sway equalizer hitch that came on the unit with no problem. Buy it, enjoy it, and remember you will never forget your toothbrush when you travel with your home attached behind you.
rceptex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
Portland , Maine
Thanks everyone for the input. Your words are all very encouraging. Having never done this, but obviously wanting an AS, the 34 seems both like the right thing for living and the wrong thing for actually pulling places. Are there many RV parks or campgrounds that I'll have to overlook vs. something slightly smaller, or is it generally just something much smaller...what is typically the cut-off point for size? How about travel to Canada, it seems like I read about a size restriction somewhere?

While confident in my driving ability, the image I have in mind of negotiating winding roads and small towns concerns me. What to do when the kids are screaming to get out of the car seats and Papa can't find a place to pull over because he's pulling an "Ocean Liner"?

I'm getting excited, and leaning towards it. I'd love to hear some more, even the negatives. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
. , .
Originally Posted by binkers
...the 34 seems both like the right thing for living and the wrong thing for actually pulling places...
well not 4 me.

50,000 + miles of pulling in less than 3 years.

with enough mule she can go anywhere...

mpg is mostly about frontal wind resistance, so shorties don't result in much less fuel use.

there are LOTS of threads here already on life with a 34 or selecting the 'right size', so spend some time reading the archives.

folks that have a 25 or a tiny trailer, will repeat stories about 'size limitations' in some spots...

but this is exaggerated, and 34 owners seldom are the source of these stories...

there are a few well known old historic campgrounds (like in the redwoods) that really do have limitations, and a few old/small state/fed parks...

but in 600 nites i've only encountered one, and even my truck wouldn't fit in the park solo.

as for driving on the twisties, i've been on roadways tight enough to see her comingngoing.

and small towns are wonderful. fewer rules, more space and less people!

visit an rv sales lot sometime and look at the massive units being built an sold...

our 34s are tiny compared to the mohos and 5'ers most are buying and using all OVER north america...

i know only ONE MEMBER here who has 'downsized' from a 34.

but again most 34s aren't used by 'family campers', rather couples or 1 child families.

there are other (smaller) floor plans with 2 full time sleeping areas or bunk beds that seem to fit the 'lots of kids in tow' mode...

and there are some folks who need a weekender size that can be pulled with a pony and for rock scramblin... so a 34 wouldn't fit this well.

it's all good

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hi blinkers
Welcome ! Intimidated by a 34 fter. Try 53ft. and all the places that were never/and still aren't ready for that size trailer. In a few trips U will not think about it again. Take your time,don't let ANYONE hurry you or intimidate you. You will be fine, just give it time.When we brought ours home in OCT I had never towed a AS before and didnt know what to expect. It was a peice of cake. Let me qualify, I did 45 yrs over-the-road so Im no stranger to towing or weight.
Best of Luck to U and Your family on a new adventure.
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
Portland , Maine
Thanks again. I will spend some more time browsing through the archives.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Go for it!!
Having a dedicated eating area is in my opinion a "must".
There are some length restrictions in Ca. Some SOB's measure the trailer length by the length of the box, not bow to stern as AS does. Whenever someone that thinks they are an authority figure asks the length of my trailer I give them the front to rear window measurement. The 32 Excella is a 29 the 29 Ambassador is a 25 footer.Remember the rules are made to accomodiate the dimmest bulb, make sure you have your brain turned on and you will do just fine. Enjoy the trip!

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
Portland , Maine
Thanks doorgunner! I won't kill the dream, I plan to live it!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master
1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
I'm in the same boat. Purchased a 34' on 12/31/07, and it now sits in snow storage. I currently pull a 20' non-A/S, so am most anxious to get the 34' behind the Chevy Diesel. Considering my current T/T is higher and duel axel, and talking to everyone who states A/S pulls like a dream, I'm assuming no issues. Is it spring yet?????
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
1992 34' Excella
Lander , Wyoming
We just borrowed an 34' airstream from my father and it pulls like a dream, now to be honest we have a dodge 3500 dually 2006 with a banks kit in it, but its smooth.
minamyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #14
1993 34' Excella
Two Rivers , Alaska
I bought a 34' Excella in New York last September and took it to Fairbanks, Alaska in the same month to beat the snow. I had never pulled a large trailer before, but the Airstream with the issued hitch pulled easily. The crosswinds caused by passing trucks barely moved it, and after the first 1,000 mi I hardly noticed it. My pull vehicle is a 1999.5 F250SD short bed diesel. If this 67 year old can do it, I'm sure you can.

stevkenn is offline   Reply With Quote