Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #1

Winter Park , Florida
What Should I look for When Purchasing?

I am looking at a 1980 excella II 31ft. The exterior is shined to a mirror finish and most of the interior has been refurbished. I do not know what to watch out for w/ trailers and want to know if 12000 if fair. What should I take into account when negotiating price etc.
wantAtrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
value

Way to much for the year!
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Wanta---Welcome to the forums. Much tech info and experience resides here. Take a look at the sub forum on valuations. Then use an expert to evaluate the various mechanical systems and the condition of the various applicances. Only then will you know how much you should pay for this particular unit. Good luck on finding your trailer.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Groveport , Ohio
BobKelly has some good advice. We got ours for less than half that price. Good luck on your search. Sometimes when you go to look at one, if it is a good value, it is gone before you get there. And, if it is still there, it is overpriced. Keep on this forum, and you will find plenty of good advice and assistance.

2012........The year of the Airstream!!
msterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAtrailer
I am looking at a 1980 excella II 31ft. The exterior is shined to a mirror finish and most of the interior has been refurbished. I do not know what to watch out for w/ trailers and want to know if 12000 if fair. What should I take into account when negotiating price etc.
If it's professionally polished, complete restoration, everything works & 100% P-E-R-F-E-C-T....maybe.

Check out this Price vs Condition Guideline to give you an idea of what to look for and to get an idea of what it would take for it to really be worth that much. Otherwise, use that as a starting point & deduct for deficiencies.

1980 has just entered the vintage market (25 years or older)...so there isn't a lot to go on in that respect. Too old for NADA, too young for lots of vintage data. But hey, you can join the VAC if you get it!

BTW, welcome to AIRForums!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by msterry
BobKelly has some good advice. We got ours for less than half that price. Good luck on your search. Sometimes when you go to look at one, if it is a good value, it is gone before you get there. And, if it is still there, it is overpriced. Keep on this forum, and you will find plenty of good advice and assistance.
There's some good advice above. Offer less, a lot less, and who knows. I paid just a bit over half what the asking price was for mine but made it clear I was going from there over to see another one and I was determined to acquire one that weekend. They took it.

In the past when I've found one overpriced but everything else fits my requirements I've left my name and number, and suggested if they have not sold it in the next two weeks and are willing to accept my offer to call, and if I've not already bought we can take another look at it. Sometimes the call comes later that same day, sometimes it's a few days. It's worth a shot if you really believe this is the rig for you.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Lots of things to think about in addition to price... how much camping have you done? Experience with trailers? How about your tow vehicle? Big enough? How many of you to travel together? Lots of good stuff on the threads... hours of reading... but lots to learn! There is a good basic thread I always recommend: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Good luck! Airstreams are great, and always remember, what is a perfect trailer for one person may not be to another...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #8

Winter Park , Florida
Thanks for the info. I have been watching airstream sales of similar models online and I have noticed the prices are all over the place. I have been looking at other manufacturers, but they do not compare and I am just drawn to airstreams. I did not plan on paying 12 for the trailer, but was hoping to get an idea of what common things to look for when looking over the trailer. Again, he says its restored, but I have to look at it to decide for myself; only then will I make an offer for what I get an idea of is reasonable.
wantAtrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAtrailer
...but was hoping to get an idea of what common things to look for when looking over the trailer. Again, he says its restored, but I have to look at it to decide for myself; only then will I make an offer for what I get an idea of is reasonable.
I really believe if you spend the time to read and understand this Price vs Condition Guideline it will give you alot of the insight you are looking for. You will obtain an idea of what the fair price should be. It's pretty comprehensive ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
1973 31' Sovereign
Noonan , New Brunswick
Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAtrailer View Post
Thanks for the info. I have been watching airstream sales of similar models online and I have noticed the prices are all over the place. I have been looking at other manufacturers, but they do not compare and I am just drawn to airstreams. I did not plan on paying 12 for the trailer, but was hoping to get an idea of what common things to look for when looking over the trailer. Again, he says its restored, but I have to look at it to decide for myself; only then will I make an offer for what I get an idea of is reasonable.
Did you ever purchase the trailer? I am also currently looking at a 1980 31' model.
KEIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAtrailer View Post
In no particular order if I were to buy used again ...

Do the axles need to be replaced?
How old are the tires?
Does the heater work?
Does the AC work?
Hot water heater - gas and electric?
Range top, oven - do they work? Manual light, pilot or piezo?
Fridge - 3 way or other?
All electric works - 110vac, 12vdc, running lights, charge system?
Water works with no leaks?

If not on any of the above, is repair, replacement in the budget?

We bought a 75 Overlander that needed repairs which was okay because the price was also okay. Once it's road worthy we'll have less in it than a smaller white box would have cost new.

Edit: For a thread started in 2007 ...
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote