Old 02-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2002 Classic 31W - Street side bath, queen.

Trailer Weight Information Sticker
GVWR 8,700
UVW 7,199
60 Gal Water 504
LPG 13.3 Gal 60
CCC = 937

Hope this helps some

baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:43 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by rluhr
If I had to guess -- and this is not based on any inside information -- the GVWR of the 34SO will increase as soon as Henschen has an axle available with a higher rating. What happens when you overload new axles? Higher rate of breakage? Bottoming out? Tire blow-outs? It can't be good.
I have a 4500 pound axle on my Argosy, it came stock in 1972 with the same rated axle, so a lack of available axle capacity shouldn't be an issue.
As for the overloading, you can expect a higher rate of bearing failures, brakes wearing out prematurely, broken shock mounts, tire failures, etc. Also, you may have excessive frame flexing, resulting in metal fatigue and broken frame members. You may also have an increase in exterior leaks, as the frame flexing will stress joints and seals in the skin of the trailer.
Also, the effects of overloading are cumulative. If you overload your trailer today, you may get away with it for a while, but you will be reducing the years and miles of usable life from your trailer.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
One thing to remember when doing the math with a slide...the weight of the slide is mostly on the street side and little on the curb side. So the weight distribution will affect the wight limits of the capacity of the tires and wheels, i.e. if the capacity of the tire is 3600#, the 10,800# max load capacity of the three tires on the street side will be affected more by the weight of the slide than the 10,800# capacity of the curb side tires because of the uneven weight distribution. Since I am not that familiar with the layout of the 34' slide, I don't know where the cargo would be stowed, but I would assume Airstream placed most of the storage on the curbside to compensate.

Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote

2005 classic